Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type of rifle was used in the movie Quigly Down Under ?
I just thought it was a cool looking rifle. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
It was a Sharps model 1874. Davide Pedersolli of Italy makes a very nice and affordable replica (if you wanna' take a trip to Australia..).

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I think the cal. was either 45-110 or 50-110, but not sure. BTW the 110 means 110 gr of black powder. Quite the kick I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
it was the 45-110.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies was very helpful. :twisted:

I wonder how accurate this rifle would be
being a replica with a newer barrel?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just by coincidence, I was at my local range last week and spoke with a fellow who was shooting one of Pedersolli's Sharps rifles.

I looked them up just few days before seeing your original question.

He seemed very competent, and was developing some black powder loads for his 45-70 model. Anyway, I don't recall excactly what he said his groups were like (size-wise), but he said he was very, very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My uncle actually began competing in a blackpowder cartridge shoot recently in addition to us usual muzzleloader shoots. He's currently getting 1 moa out of his current rifle chambered for 45/70. Oh, did i mention he's shooting 500 yards iron sites?

He's actually just got invited to come shoot in NC against the USMC snipers at camp lejune. Their m40's against his muzzleloader at 1000 yards. He will be shooting iron sites ... standing supported off a monopod. I plan to go watch and spot for him. I'll bring pictures back if i can...

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thats awesome.

This is going back a couple years, but in a tribute competition for charity in the name of Carlos Hathcock, there was a dude who competed with a 45/110

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The company "Shiloh Sharps" makes an absolutely fantastic replica that is very very accurate. If memory serves me correctly they built the rifles for the movie. Here is their web site:

http://www.shilohsharps.com/

They are actually located here in montana, in Big Timber.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, the first 1000 yard competitions were in the early 1800's or so. They used muzzle loaders and iron sights. Hey mel, how about a review of one of those sniper rifles? :)

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yup, thats true...In that funky creedmoor position, lieing on your back, with the rifle propped between your feet.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
With how streached MEL is with all his multiple jobs and everything... not sure if reviewing a Sharps would be very "productive" and time spent well. Its all up to Mel though...

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
With how streached MEL is with all his multiple jobs and everything... not sure if reviewing a Sharps would be very "productive" and time spent well. Its all up to Mel though...

BC
I was kidding, kinda. It would be intresting to see what kind of presision the civil war era sniper rifles are capable of, how ever I agree there are other more productive rifles to test.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Hey, I love the movie, and I love the rifles. The sharps have a well deserved reputation for accuracy. I did read an article once where a guy was shooting 3/4 size buffalo siluettes at 1000 yards and was getting 5+ hits in a row in not perfect conditions.... Suppose to be very very accurate rifles.

Probably not any time soon, but I would love to review one.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There is a true story of a buffalo hunter protecting the outpost in texas somewhere... he raised his rifle and fired at a group of indians at aproximatly 1/4 mile (researchers went back to the site of the incident and messured) .... he fired one time with his 45-110 sharps and downed an indian with a chest shot... im sure some one else has heard of this its quite a well known "wild west" shot.

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
You must be thinking of Billy Dixon and his shot at Adobe Walls in 1874. Army surveyors later measured the shot, made with a BORROWED .45-90 (though there is despute about the caliber) to be 1538 yards. Ironically, Billy's prefered rifle, a Remington rolling-block was being reloaded when a friend handed him the Sharps.

Later in life (and to his credit) Billy remarked that there had been a lot of luck connected with the shot, but he was also a man of considerable character having later being awarded the Medal of Honor for bravery at the battle of Buffalo Wallow.

Quite a Sharps-shooter...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That sounds like it...

BC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts