Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just went to order rings for my SC3A5, and I realized I don't know what height I want. I don't think I will have a problem goin up because I have the adj. cheekpiece. But I don't want to raise my scope too high because I have heard the closer you keep the scope to the barrel, the more accurate it is. I also think I will at least need medium rings due to the 50mm bell. Anyone know about this problem? Thx in advance.

APK

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Generally... you want the center of the objective lens to be 1.5 - 2.0 inchs above the center line of the bore. Ring size depends on multiple things..

1: Barrel Contour
2: Base Hieght
3: Objective Lens Size

You do want to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible... with out it contacting the barrel.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok then, if I have:

1. #7 contour
2. 20 MOA base
3. 50mm Obj.

What size rings do you think I need?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What size tube is the scope? Sorry i should have put that as the 4th thing that matters.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4. 30mm

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Cant go wrong with Leupold MK4 rings... i use those almost exclusivly. Badger rings are really nice too...

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But what heighth do I need? I think I'm going w/ TPS rings by the way, due to cost.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
id go with medium.. just to make sure it fits. (im not very familiar with the TPS rings) But if you can get low mounts to fit i would go with those.

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to buy a one piece base from TPS w/ a 20 MOA cant. And I think now I may need high rings, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That will fit my 50mm Obj. lens?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thx a million!! I was just about to go order the base and rings and I realized 1 thing. Will the Remingtion 700 base fit onto my SC3??? It is a montana rifleman action, not a Remy.

ALso- the 20 MOA cant alloy base I want is out of stock. For how long? And who do I buy the stuff through, it seems like only a couple products are available online.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Right now,
The best place is to go through Brownell's or bigrivertactical.com. We fill the vendors before our stock, so I would try a vendor first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If the Montana Action is in spec with the remington action then there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What base are you currently using and or what base's have Montana Action buyers been using?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
APK, I think I read in a post somewere here that the Winchester base fits the Montana Rifleman action. Not 100% sure, but you might want to check before ordering!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would check for sure as it must resemble one of the manufactures.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It fits model 70's! :D Wait! :( TPS doesnt make one for that!!! :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts