Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the deal with scope ring heights? Is thier a set rule that says what height rings ( low, med, high, etc) you need for a specific bell size? Do other factors, such as barrel contour, matter? I was just wondering because I need to get rings that wll allow me to mount a scope with a 44mm bell. :?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Heres the problem (other than i cant sleep and have to be up in 5.5 hours), what are you mounting it on? If its going on an AR-15 id say go with med hi or hi rings. If its a bolt gun I'd say go with med rings. It has alot to do with the way the stock is designed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The rings are going to go on a bolt gun. It's a FN PBR, it probably has similar specs to a Win 70.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I Like my scopes as low as possible while still having them comfortable so i'd try a set of leupold mediums. Like you asked, not all ring companies "Mediums" are the same. But I'm pretty sure the Leupold mediums will handle a bell to 50mm. If you want something a little stiffer (I.E. Drag it around field work) then I'd call up TPS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Spade! By the way whats the diff between a $30 set of Leupold Rifleman rings, and a set of $200 Badger Ord rings. Does it all come down to percise tolerances and durability? If so, what level of quality will be required for a police sniper rifle? I'm working on a buget here, so I don't want to break the bank on rings unless it absoulutly necessary.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Don't skimp on your rings. Try TPS if you want to save some money.

If this is truly going to be a tactical rifle it needs to be able to perform at all times in the best and worst of circumstances. Twenty five dollar rings are not going to deliver you that kind of performance.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Theres a difference between leupold rifleman and leupold mark 4 rings and bases. I'd take the mark 4 rings.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Its all about application. If you have a 308 or other light recoiling rifle and will be doing mostly range work (no hard field use) then standard leupold rings will work good and there is no need for paying the extra money.

If you are using a heavy recoil rifle, trucking through the woods often, do lots of tactical shooting, etc, then pay the extra for TPS, Badger, USO, Mark4, Burris XTR type of rings. Price will be $60 - $120 for a set.

MEL

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree.

If you are going to be engaging in some serious tactical sitatiations or very involved hunting, you should invest in some quality Leupold MK4, Badger, USO or TPS.

I have always found it troubling how some shooters will spend big-bucks with an incredible custom rifle and then go all out with some superb glass which also took some significant investment but then join them with 25-45 dollar rings and bases! :shock:

In my opinion, if your putting together a serious tactical custom rifle with some serious quality optics, you should do them justice with some rugged more robust mounts than the standard Leupold. 8)

TPS and Leupold Mark 4 mounts are pretty good and they are more inexpensive than other makes.

Good luck bud.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
AMT, since you mentioned being a police officer being (correct me if I'm wrong) "sent to sniper school," wouldn't you want to build/purchase the same rifle you will be the operator of?

What is your department using?

-snowy

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Come on snowy, I think we all know that he's not actually a cop or a sniper. But i'm trying to be nice and answer his questions anyways.

I wonder if he is aware that impersonating an officer is HEAVY jail time?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I was trying to give him an easy out. Make him feel like we are a welcoming community and he can be himself.

Your way works too.

-snowy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snowy and Spade
OK Guys heres the deal. I work for a small city (25,000 pop) police department in upstate NY for about five years. I have been on the SRT (SWAT) team for about two years. It's a part time team, which means that most of the guys spend most of thier time doing normal patrol stuff. Most of are call outs have been for high risk warrants, but I guess it's possible we could have a barricaded gunman or an active shooter scenario some day.
Recently my department decided that they want to get the SRT team offically certified by NY state. In order to do that, we are required to have at least one "Tactical Marksman" in the department. To be safe my department has decided to send two people to a certified sniper school, possibbly one run by the FBI for LEO's or maybe one run by one of the larger local PD's.
I have been tentitivly selected to go mainly because I'm one of the few interested officers who can pass the physical agility test (5 pull ups, 2 miles in 16 minutes etc.). As I'm sure you noticed, I don't know a whole lot about percission rifles or optics.
Being as my department is starting the sniper program from scratch, we are very short on gear. The original idea was that the dept would purchase one of those Savage LE packages ,which come with the gun and scope. That weapon would be issued to the other officer (being as he is senior to me). I would be issued a .223 Rem Varmit rifle with a fixed 6x Redfield scope on it. I have no idea how old this weapon is or where it came from, nor does anyone else in the dept. Its been sitting in the armory for as long as i've been around the dept. It has wood stocks and a good deal of surface rust on the rings and barrel.
That being said, I was given the option of purchasing my own tactical rifle, as long as I got my LT's approval on the make and model.
About two weeks ago I ordered an FN PBR from CDNN. Having purchased the weapon with my own money, I did not have money readily avaliable to purchase a decent scope. I had an old TASCO Varmit scope in my closet so I thought I'd try that. That way at least I could fire the weapon while I was saving up for a scope. Unfortunatly, It appears that the rings i bought are too short, or the bell of the scope is too large. And that's where I an now. Thank's for being an ass. :D

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
amt,

Don't worry about spade, he's just a little sensitive to imposters. Now that we know you are ligit, he'll calm down and be extremely helpful (He's really a good guy).

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask all the questions you want. I understand your situation and there a many officers out there that are in the same boat, and I'll do what ever I can to help.

Hey, speaking of that old rusty remington varmint rifle in your armory, would the department be interested in selling it to a FFL dealer (Me) ? Or even perhaps trade it for some gear (or optics, or instruction, or anything else I can help with)

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yeah Amt, no problems there. We generally get 20-30 guys a month who are "elite operators" with the "East Bumblescum SWAT team"... you know... your typical 17 year old kid with no direction ... living in momma's basement.

The kinda kids who for some reason think theres something poetic about the job.

You can understand my reservations I hope. One thing to consider might be the TPS rings like we discussed or the Mark 4's. Both are on the lower end of the price scale and you wont have to worry about the zero shifting if your dragging it across a rooftop.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I wasn't trying to be offensive.
There were a few little things that are also common with younger people posting.

Things like:
All caps.

"HERE ARE THE PHOTOS OF MY FN PBR. HAVEN'T GOT TO THE RANGE,
BUT HOPE TO SOON. THE SCOPE IS A REALLY CHEAP TASCO VARMIT
MODEL, I'LL BE GETTING SOMETHING BETTER IN A FEW WEEKS
(HOPEFULLY!). OVERALL, ..."

"HERE ARE THE PHOTOS OF MY FN PBR. HAVEN'T GOT TO THE RANGE,"

Mentioning the Tasco and also mentioning...
"Every scope I've ever owned has been a $75 Simmons,
Wal-Mart special."

It seemed you may have forgotten your old post...

"The only scope I have lying around is an old Tasco
varmit scope"

Also this topic was just brought up in that month's issue of Weapons for Military and LE.
"I have a Ruger Mini-14 that I'd like to accurize.
What can be done, short of replacing the barrel?
Who makes or sells a good quality replacement stock?"

It is common for younger people to mention things on tactical boards that they may have just read.

These things in a row made a couple of us suspicious. Just a random collection of circumstances.

I don't speak on behalf of other men, but if I offended you, I am sorry.

Even if you were a young person pretending to be an officer you would still be welcome on the board.

You have asserted yourself, I'm not going to be bringing the topic up again.

Once again, sorry if you were offended.
I'm not here to try to insult people.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Sorry I missed this one gang, still new to modding and the dang thread was marked as "viewed" for some reason. Anyway, 3 days too late...

Thanks for the restraint, all...No one said anything personal and no one name called or got hurt feelings over everything. Sorry you got to it before me, Mel, but hey, even with me asleep at the switch, things still ran smooth lol.

Spade was just feeling you out, as Mel said. Even if he sounds harsh sometimes, he likes everyone...really...lol.

Welcome aboard and I am sure no one still thinks anything negative, AMT. We're all happy to help.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
amt8951 said:
Thank's for being an ass. :D
AAAHHHH YES.... I CAN FEEL THE LOVE!!!

Any one ever heard that song "Why cant we be friends"... :lol: :roll:

BC :D

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, okay, so I skipped over a few things lol. Still no harm done.

Now where was Scatch to tell him that should have been "Thanks for being asses" since he was talking about two people? Seems I wasn't the only one asleep at the wheel. (Scatch is our grammar cop, but in no official capacity). Still, no harm done to anyone, and that was a pretty mild response really lol.

Now, as BC said? Can't we all just get along? :lol:

Or the bans starting soon will make Stalin's purges look like an episode of "Survivor"!

Ah, just kiddin Mel 8)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Isn't BC asking for people to get along one of the signs of the end being near?

:lol:

-snowy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts