Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never liked the look of an AR "pistol."

I always thought it looked kinda silly with the buffer tube sticking out the back, even if it was "padded."

But as I understand it, the law basically says that if there's no buttstock, and doesn't require pumping or levering to cycle, it's a pistol.

So, now you can own a rifle with no stock (and no buffer tube to worry about) and the barrel length is up to your choosing.

So if you'd like to own a 12" SBR, without the stock, you can. As long as you don't attach a stock to it, the BATF won't mind. Put a stock on it without an authorization to own a SBR and you'll find yourself in a world of $hat.

I figure, if the Armageddon comes and the BATF is the midget in the room, then one could easily change his pistol into an SBR very easily.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unfortunately, California has a problem with pistols that take a magazine anywhere other than through the grip. Guess I'll have to wait 'til I move for that one.

I do have a late model XCR and although I wasn't as impressed with it as I'd initially hoped, it's turning out to be a fine little carbine. There's been talk of a PDW for some time and although the pistol variant was initially dismissed, it looks like they came around. If you're going to SBR it I think this would be the way to go. The MINI version would be nice to build a lighter carbine on with a 14.5 inch barrel and pinned flash hider. I might end up picking one of those up. I can't wait to see what they're going to do with the stock as I think that's really one of the low points of the current platform. I've been waiting to see what they do before I just go ahead and start cutting metal to make my own.

·
Registered
152 Posts
what is the shortest legal barrel for a Ar type rifle

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
but the XCR doesn't have that ugly buffer tube sticking out the back... can you imagine a 10 inch xcr without a stock? would be rpetty sick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A full sized California version with a non folding stock doesn't have a single part over 17.5 inches long. You can easily take it apart and throw it in a backpack. Not nearly as convenient as folding it in half and having a package that will fit into a shoebox, that's for sure.

There are still things about the new ones that I don't like which I hoped they would have addressed by now. None of them are deal killers, mind, and I'm certainly warming up more to mine every time I take it out. There are just a few little things I hope they'll change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts