Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of a new .308
Which would you buy?

Bergara, Ruger, Savage or Remmy 700 Magpul 1:10 5R?

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
140 Posts
You didn't mention a specific use however of the three you listed for .308 I would go Savage or Remy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If your willing to pay 2k for the Bergatta Premier LRP check out the Masterpiece Arms BA and Tikka T3X TAC A1. The Bergatta B14 BMP is $1500 and would suggest it over the RPR or stealth.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Personally I run a Rem700p .308 out to 1100 yards with no issue. 175gr GMM ammo works well. 6.5CM is a very accurate round, loading info and components are getting more and more available. The BC of the 6.5 is higher than the .308. The 6.5 has lighter recoil.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
6.5 cr good paper puncher but 308 is proven cartridge to handle business
and punching paper is what 99% of people do. why not use the superior round to do so?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Thinking of a new .308
Which would you buy?

Bergara, Ruger, Savage or Remmy 700 Magpul 1:10 5R?

Thanks,
Glen
Did you buy the RPR? Because you have the other thread asking what optic is best for a RPR. So if you did the. Anything further is a mute point.

If your willing to pay 2k for the Bergatta Premier LRP check out the Masterpiece Arms BA and Tikka T3X TAC A1. The Bergatta B14 BMP is $1500 and would suggest it over the RPR or stealth.
Why? What makes it better other than the price? Not saying it's not. Just asking you to provide some information to someone when you make a recommendation. That way they can make an informed decision.

Also don't waste your time with 308. Old news. Get a 6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 has lots of advantages sure. But it's not superior to 308 just because it's new. 308 isn't old news it's tried and true and is still a very versatile cartridge.

I would like to do some long range shooting 200 yds. and beyond.
Long range doesn't start until you past 800 yards, lol. We'll get you going no matter what your distance goals are.

Is 6.5 ammo and reloading stuff redily available for the 6.5 cartridge?
Yes, widely available.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you buy the RPR? Because you have the other thread asking what optic is best for a RPR. So if you did the. Anything further is a mute point.

Why? What makes it better other than the price? Not saying it's not. Just asking you to provide some information to someone when you make a recommendation. That way they can make an informed decision.

6.5 has lots of advantages sure. But it's not superior to 308 just because it's new. 308 isn't old news it's tried and true and is still a very versatile cartridge.

Long range doesn't start until you past 800 yards, lol. We'll get you going no matter what your distance goals are.

Yes, widely available.
Regarding what makes the $2k price category (Bergara, MPA or Tilka) better than an RPR or Savage read up on the reviews of each rifles. Reviews written by professional gun writers. Forums can be a good source of info for somethings but I have found that people tend to have a bias towards what they own. You will find that that the higher end rifles have higher end features and core components :(chassis designs, triggers, actions and barrels). Higher end components and craftsmanship will result in greater precision.

I think the more important question is what are you using the gun for? If your shooting within 400 or 500 yards and or plan to hunt with the gun a precision rifle may not be the right choice for you. The guns mentioned above are designed for intermediate /long range shooting: 800yrds and beyond. There are trade offs for guns designed for this purpose, primarily weight.

The 308 is not inferior to 6.5 CM because it's older, poor choice of word on my part. The 6.5CM is a more efficient cartridge having superior ballistics with a growing variety of match grade ammo available for often a little less than an equivalent 308 loading. Again don't take my word for it. Google .308 vs 6.5 cm and read what the pros have to say about the topic. The only advantage I can think of for the 308 is availability of ammo. While 6.5cm is becoming more popular/ widely available, 308 is a staple and can be found anywhere ammo is sold.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If 6.5 was that much better why doesn't our US military or law-enforcement use it? I think we all know 6.5 has been around for a long time and had plenty of chances to prove it self more then a paper puncher

1 - 20 of 43 Posts