Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
The military uses the 308 because 60 some odd years ago some guys in a room some where adopted it as the nato cartridge.
Leo uses the 308 because the military uses the 308. That said rem makes the 700p in 223 and 300 win mag (yeah I know just saying)
I would guess a lot of older shooters adopted it because of prior military experience with the cartridge.

I would say "superior" is very much subjective in this case and what and how the op plans to use the rifle for is what should determine that.

As far as the original question I would say the rpr has a few advantage over the other offerings 1 I believe (feel free to correct me) it's the only one that was designed to be a chassis rifle from the ground up where the others started life as standard bolt actions dripped in to a chassis the safety and a few other things about the rpr are slightly more ergonomic. 2 the rpr takes several different types of mags so if you already say have some other type of mags laying around your good to go.

The thing I can see I don't care for about the rpr is the buttstock is mounted too high so you have to mount your optics high like on a ar platform

Just my stinky opinion.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
And this is the response from a 6.5 fanboy 🏽

RELEASE THE FANBOYS LOL
I dont got time for this i have to go to work
I'm not even talking about cartridges.

I see benefits to the 308win, and unlike you I'm not blind to the benefits of the 6.5MM cartridges either, or other ones.

What's laughable is that you want to use the military and police as a guide.

I shoot more then the police near me, guaranteed, not to mention this is a precision rifle forum, and the nearest police that has anything close to that is 3 hours away (in state) and even then most police encounters with a precision rifle are usually well within a few hundred yards.

The military well anyone that's been in the military can tell you about them, but regardless of that, the US military also can't really make decisions based on what they need because of NATO, so they have to take the consideration of what 27, 28 other countries, not to mention getting them all to agree upon going to the same thing.

With that said certain units are granted more leeway, and if you look at what those units use, rarely do they use what is standard issue. Usually because it's terrible. And even there, groups like the USAMU has developed and does use 6.5mm cartridges because of the short fallings of the 308/556/300WM, and there are even rumors among certain circles of certain groups using 6.5mm cartridges over seas.

But even without thinking about all of that, the cartridge the 260 was intended to replicate (and the 6.5 Creedmoor replicates it) the 6.5 sweed, well that was developed and used in the late 1800s well before the 308 and even before the 30/06.

That's why your comment is the dumbest thing I read yesterday and today.

People in charge of what the Military uses are clueless and probably have never even seen combat, let alone shoot or understand what is needed to shoot.

I really don't give a crap about cartridge wars, they are idiotic and meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
If 6.5 was that much better why doesn't our US military or law-enforcement use it? I think we all know 6.5 has been around for a long time and had plenty of chances to prove it self more then a paper puncher
6.5 fanboy , you should step away from the computer go down to your local police station , see what the swat teams sharp shooter is using and tell him why he should use a 6.5
The military uses equipment from the lowest bidder. So before one goes off about mil grade is the best, think about that. Also the police and military use NATO rounds as they are available around the world and used by all NATO forces. If the US military teams up with the EU to fight somewhere its much easier when all the soldiers on the field are using the same ammo. Also its a huge cost to both local LE agencies and the military to switch every gun and ammo stock pile they've had on had for close to 50 years.

Thats why they don't use it. Not because the .308 is better, its just more convenient at this time.

I'm a huge fan of .308 and yes many guys just think its a horrible cartridge now because 6.5 is the latest and greatest. But thats why I asked others here to back their opinion with reasons. Both rounds have their advantages. Before anyone goes off either way, questions should be asked as to what the intended use and goals will be.

Reactions: SeahawkDriver

·
Registered
160 Posts
The military uses equipment from the lowest bidder. So before one goes off about mil grade is the best, think about that. Also the police and military use NATO rounds as they are available around the world and used by all NATO forces. If the US military teams up with the EU to fight somewhere its much easier when all the soldiers on the field are using the same ammo. Also its a huge cost to both local LE agencies and the military to switch every gun and ammo stock pile they've had on had for close to 50 years.

Thats why they don't use it. Not because the .308 is better, its just more convenient at this time.

I'm a huge fan of .308 and yes many guys just think its a horrible cartridge now because 6.5 is the latest and greatest. But thats why I asked others here to back their opinion with reasons. Both rounds have their advantages. Before anyone goes off either way, questions should be asked as to what the intended use and goals will be.
Yes the military goes with the lowest bidder, but it must be within extensive set specifications and guidlines and go through extensive testing before the military selects it. Then when selected there are several points of qc to ensure it meets the standards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought the RPR in 308 about 3 weeks ago. I love the 308 caliber. Due to bad weather I haven't had a chance to get to the local 100yard range yet. Got to the 25yard indoor range and put 10 rounds thru it. All 10 went into one hole about 3/4 in. My scope wouldn't focus very well at that close range so did the best I could. Love the rifle, very mild recoil. Put a Vortex 6X24-50 scope on it. There are some great videos on YouTube with 900 to 1200 yard shots with the 308. I know that 6.5 is the newest fad on the block but I'll stick with 308. Ammo is available anywhere I'm likely to go.

RPR 308-3.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
If 6.5 was that much better why doesn't our US military or law-enforcement use it? I think we all know 6.5 has been around for a long time and had plenty of chances to prove it self more then a paper puncher
Not so, 6.5 caliber for instance 6.5x55 has proven it's worth both in war and combat during WW2 .
It was the main weapon and caliber for the Norwegian forces,using this caliber in both Krag rifles and the Madsen machine gun.
Norwegian soldiers took out german soldiers with head shots on 600 meter + with diopter sights during the invasion in 1940
So it has proven itself,and with flying colors.
6.5x55 is widely used here i Norway,both for hunting and long range shooting today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The military is often forced to use equipment not of their own choosing. Although that problem is getting better when it comes to firearms. And once we're stuck with a particular weapon, it is very difficult to upgrade for many, many, many years. At least for our large, conventional forces. Our Special Operators have more leeway and tend to have access to much better gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been doing the same kind of search and research, as the cover in the area I hunt in out west has been decimated by multiple fires. As such, my WIN Model 70 30-06 Featherweight that I bought in 1984 isn't up to the task anymore. I looked at Bergara, Browning, Kimber, Nosler, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Thompson Center, Tikka, and Winchester (and probably a few others I've failed to recall). And in doing so I chose the 6.5CM over the .308 and decided that 5R and a pre-threaded muzzle were minimum requirements. (Which eliminated quite a few options.) Documentation beats conversation...and aside from silly arguments like military/LEO use and commonality, the 6.5CM simply outperforms the .308 in almost every measurable way...and certainly does so in every meaningful way. I also looked at the .270 for my long range needs, but the 6.5 wins there too, with the exception of bullet drop--which any novice (like me) can correct for these days. Anyway, I simply couldn't find a performance reason to choose a .308 over a 6.5CM. And given that I've found 6.5 ammo in Walmarts across the country this past year, I don't buy the availability nonsense. I always pack the exact loads I plan to hunt with and have a few boxes of the same sent ahead to one of the locals that I hunt with anyway, and I've become a fanboy of the Winchester Expedition 6.5CM Nosler ammo with a B.C. of .719.

My decision came down to three major factors: Cost, weight, and LOP (I am more comfortable with LOPs approaching / over 15" and HATE the standard LOP on most stocks.) In the middle of my search I bought (7) T/C Compass rifles (300 win mag, 6.5, 30-06, 204 Ruger, didn't get a .308 because I don't care for the T/C ROT) for myself and members of my family. At $160-200 per rifle, I couldn't pass up the deal. And they all shot sub-MOA right out of the box (except the .204, which I don't have scoped yet). The 6.5s actually punched paper in an indoor 100 yd range at just over .5 MOA, and that was in the first 4 rounds! But the T/C factory stock, despite being free-floated and pillar-have fore-ends that are too flexible and jump off a bipod and slap on a tight strap grip. So those are being dropped into Boyd's stocks. (Total cost still under $400 per rifle.)

Final decision: I love the RPR. I want one. Friends of mine are shooting amazing groups at unbelievable distances. But it was a bit too heavy for my hunting needs out west. The Remington 700 MAGPUL Hunter made my list, but I could not find a 6.5 (or a .308) in a price range that I was interested in until AUG (when Remington does another run and I can get their active duty military discount). So it came down to the Savage (a few of their long range options) vs the Bergara HMR-14. The Savage discount for military and LEO is in name only. And for essentially the same price I ordered the Bergara (which appears to be a superior product anyway), as did a bunch of the SOF guys I work with (and they all chose the 6.5CM as well).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been doing the same kind of search and research, as the cover in the area I hunt in out west has been decimated by multiple fires. As such, my WIN Model 70 30-06 Featherweight that I bought in 1984 isn't up to the task anymore. I looked at Bergara, Browning, Kimber, Nosler, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Thompson Center, Tikka, and Winchester (and probably a few others I've failed to recall). And in doing so I chose the 6.5CM over the .308 and decided that 5R and a pre-threaded muzzle were minimum requirements. (Which eliminated quite a few options.) Documentation beats conversation...and aside from silly arguments like military/LEO use and commonality, the 6.5CM simply outperforms the .308 in almost every measurable way...and certainly does so in every meaningful way. I also looked at the .270 for my long range needs, but the 6.5 wins there too, with the exception of bullet drop--which any novice (like me) can correct for these days. Anyway, I simply couldn't find a performance reason to choose a .308 over a 6.5CM. And given that I've found 6.5 ammo in Walmarts across the country this past year, I don't buy the availability nonsense. I always pack the exact loads I plan to hunt with and have a few boxes of the same sent ahead to one of the locals that I hunt with anyway, and I've become a fanboy of the Winchester Expedition 6.5CM Nosler ammo with a B.C. of .719.

My decision came down to three major factors: Cost, weight, and LOP (I am more comfortable with LOPs approaching / over 15" and HATE the standard LOP on most stocks.) In the middle of my search I bought (7) T/C Compass rifles (300 win mag, 6.5, 30-06, 204 Ruger, didn't get a .308 because I don't care for the T/C ROT) for myself and members of my family. At $160-200 per rifle, I couldn't pass up the deal. And they all shot sub-MOA right out of the box (except the .204, which I don't have scoped yet). The 6.5s actually punched paper in an indoor 100 yd range at just over .5 MOA, and that was in the first 4 rounds! But the T/C factory stock, despite being free-floated and pillar-have fore-ends that are too flexible and jump off a bipod and slap on a tight strap grip. So those are being dropped into Boyd's stocks. (Total cost still under $400 per rifle.)

Final decision: I love the RPR. I want one. Friends of mine are shooting amazing groups at unbelievable distances. But it was a bit too heavy for my hunting needs out west. The Remington 700 MAGPUL Hunter made my list, but I could not find a 6.5 (or a .308) in a price range that I was interested in until AUG (when Remington does another run and I can get their active duty military discount). So it came down to the Savage (a few of their long range options) vs the Bergara HMR-14. The Savage discount for military and LEO is in name only. And for essentially the same price I ordered the Bergara (which appears to be a superior product anyway), as did a bunch of the SOF guys I work with (and they all chose the 6.5CM as well).
I like bergara as well,going to get a HMR on Monday in 308

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my bergara HMR in .308 on tues scope mount and rings today,can't wait to get my swfa ss 10x42 on her tonight.was hoping to shoot it this weekend but looks like bad weather ,will see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be fair, it takes the military or law enforcement a long time to make any changes and a lot of their decision is based on money. Not just for the caliber itself, but the replacement costs for all of their equipment and training on new platforms. With that being said, the military is currently doing trials to replace the .308 and the 6.5 CM, last I checked, is one of the contestants. The only real advantage that .308 has over the 6.5CM as mentioned above, is ammo price and availability. This is quickly changing with the ever growing popularity of the 6.5CM. Technically out to about 500 yards or so, the .308 delivers more energy to its target on impact, but they both have more than enough energy to get the job done inside of those ranges. The only other advantage I can see is if you want to run subs through a suppressed rifle. In that case, I will give the win to the .308.

I would say that you dont even need to be in the higher price range to get into a great Tikka. Just get one of the CTR rifles. The action, receiver and barrel are all the same as that are on the Tac A1. The real difference is the chassis. But if you are looking for a slightly lighter rifle, that is not a bad thing. Here is a link to the CTR rifles for right around $1K.
https://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3x-ctr-rifles.aspx?utm_source=eoic2018&utm_medium=kjp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive owned a few remmys, they are the most consistently accurate rifle built, but my savages have all shot sub moa, and half of them have shot same hole at 200. my dad gave me a 220 swift ruger mk2 and its the best shooter i have.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Ive owned a few remmys, they are the most consistently accurate rifle built
Maybe among the rifles you have experienced. Remington rifles are greatly lacking in the factory rifle arena and are nowhere near "the most consistently accurate rifle built".

Desert Tech, Accuracy International, and a few others come to mind when one thinks of "the most consistently accurate rifle built. Now...while these rifles are much more expensive than a remington, I would not even be willing to say that Remington is the most consistently accurate in its price range.

Reactions: Gunguy308

·
Registered
188 Posts
If it is possible, try each one and choose the one that fits best for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seahawk you still there,question on your Begara is the mags large enough to load bullets long long for fine tuning reloads,

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding what makes the $2k price category (Bergara, MPA or Tilka) better than an RPR or Savage read up on the reviews of each rifles. Reviews written by professional gun writers. Forums can be a good source of info for somethings but I have found that people tend to have a bias towards what they own. You will find that that the higher end rifles have higher end features and core components :(chassis designs, triggers, actions and barrels). Higher end components and craftsmanship will result in greater precision.

I think the more important question is what are you using the gun for? If your shooting within 400 or 500 yards and or plan to hunt with the gun a precision rifle may not be the right choice for you. The guns mentioned above are designed for intermediate /long range shooting: 800yrds and beyond. There are trade offs for guns designed for this purpose, primarily weight.

The 308 is not inferior to 6.5 CM because it's older, poor choice of word on my part. The 6.5CM is a more efficient cartridge having superior ballistics with a growing variety of match grade ammo available for often a little less than an equivalent 308 loading. Again don't take my word for it. Google .308 vs 6.5 cm and read what the pros have to say about the topic. The only advantage I can think of for the 308 is availability of ammo. While 6.5cm is becoming more popular/ widely available, 308 is a staple and can be found anywhere ammo is sold.
I don't see many people talking about barrel life...I think most people agree that 6.5 is ballistically superior but it also burns through barrels 4-5 times faster than .308...I'm not convinced it's worth it...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts