Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought my first AR platform .308 and am wondering if it is one of my bigger mistakes. I'll make it quick; two months ago I bought a new Ruger SR 762, Assuming most know what it is I'll cut to the chase. I have fired 124 rounds through the gun, all factory ammo. Some Federal GMM and some Hornady Match. Nothing else. It ran fine. Shot much better than I thought a "short barrel" .308 would shoot and I was all round satisfied.
Last weekend my son and I went out to shoot and my Ruger changed into the devil's gun. It would fire one round, not eject,feed, or do anything but fire the one round. The bolt never moved one mm after the round fired. I took it apart, changed mags, and tried again. Same result, except this time it jammed a round so hard in the side of the bolt carrier (next to the chamber) that the bullet popped out and lost all the powder. Changed everything again, took the gas regulator out and cleaned it and dropped the piston and cleaned it also. For less than 130 rounds the reg and piston were crammed with crud. Really surprised me. So, I tried different ammo from another shooter, factory Remington ammo, and the gun did the same thing. Fired one round and jammed. During this time I had changed the gas regulator to all of the settings and nothing changed.
So, has anyone got any idea what may be going on or has anyone else experienced this; particularly the extra dirty piston and regulator with just a few rounds.

The only thing that I've changed from the stock rifle is to install a Giessele SSA-E trigger. But I had fired about 35 rounds since installing the trigger with no adverse effects.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've already called Ruger and gotten an RMA and have it packed up for UPS to pick up on Monday. I did take off my Giessele and replaced the gritty old Ruger trigger. Thanks, Guys.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How well have you cleaned it, is sounds like it been put away dirty and the carbon has turned to cement. The time before you had it out when it worked fine than the next trip it jammed on first round did it?
Cliffy

·
Registered
348 Posts
124 rounds of carbon build up shouldn't cause these kinds of problems. I have several 308 semis that have well over that number of rounds without cleaning and all run without a problem. I would call Ruger and describe the problem. They have always been helpful when ever I had a problem with one of their weapons. It most probably will require a trip back to Ruger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put Away Dirty

How well have you cleaned it, is sounds like it been put away dirty and the carbon has turned to cement. The time before you had it out when it worked fine than the next trip it jammed on first round did it?
Cliffy
Cliffy,
This is the first piston system rifle that I have ever owned and from what I had been told and the research I'd done prior to buying, I did not think that I had to worry about cleaning the gas regulator or piston until many more than 124 rounds. All of my other rifles are either bolt guns or direct impingement gas AR's. I cleaned it back to spotless condition prior to trying to get it to operate again and the results were as I posted earlier. Today I got the urge and unpacked it and cleaned it AGAIN and tried it this morning with some Federal GM 168 gr Match ammo ....Same thing. It fired and ejected properly three rounds and jammed. By jamming I mean it did not eject completely and the bolt carrier came just far enough back for a new round to be partly pulled from the mag and stick sideways in the space above the mag. I just stopped there and spent the rest of the time with other rifles. UPS is supposed to pick it up Monday or Tuesday and I will be sure to keep everyone here posted when I discover the problem. If they tell me, that is. Two years ago I had a new Savage 110 that was shooting all over the place and absolutely could not be zeroed. At 50 yards it would shoot as much as 12 to 20 inches high or low at a paper target. I returned it to Savage and about three weeks later I got it back with a sheet showing all the parts that were switched and replaced and all that. It showed a new barrel among the replacements but never gave any explanation as to what caused it all. Did not cost me anything so I just filed the paperwork and enjoyed the rifle, but some info about what was wrong would have been good.
Thanks for all who have helped with ideas on this one. Its still a mystery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Put Away Dirty

Cliffy,
This is the first piston system rifle that I have ever owned and from what I had been told and the research I'd done prior to buying, I did not think that I had to worry about cleaning the gas regulator or piston until many more than 124 rounds. All of my other rifles are either bolt guns or direct impingement gas AR's. I cleaned it back to spotless condition prior to trying to get it to operate again and the results were as I posted earlier. Today I got the urge and unpacked it and cleaned it AGAIN and tried it this morning with some Federal GM 168 gr Match ammo ....Same thing. It fired and ejected properly three rounds and jammed. By jamming I mean it did not eject completely and the bolt carrier came just far enough back for a new round to be partly pulled from the mag and stick sideways in the space above the mag. I just stopped there and spent the rest of the time with other rifles. UPS is supposed to pick it up Monday or Tuesday and I will be sure to keep everyone here posted when I discover the problem. If they tell me, that is. Two years ago I had a new Savage 110 that was shooting all over the place and absolutely could not be zeroed. At 50 yards it would shoot as much as 12 to 20 inches high or low at a paper target. I returned it to Savage and about three weeks later I got it back with a sheet showing all the parts that were switched and replaced and all that. It showed a new barrel among the replacements but never gave any explanation as to what caused it all. Did not cost me anything so I just filed the paperwork and enjoyed the rifle, but some info about what was wrong would have been good.
Thanks for all who have helped with ideas on this one. Its still a mystery.
Deadeye95,

I have recently experienced precisely the same symptoms that you describe above. Until finding your thread, I had attributed my SR762's lack of reloading ejection / jamming to the SigSauer suppressor, presumably by adversely affecting the gas pressure distribution throughout the piston system. By what means, if any, did you finally achieve a remedy for this problem? Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts