Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a semi-auto sniper rifle (so slightly disregard my post in classified) of a russian configuration. The Romanian PSL looked very promising but is illegal to have where I live due to it having a pistol grip stock.

I have heard of the Saiga sniper rifle. This has a shorter barrel, I am not sure of this, than the psl (flash hider extends the barrel length) but the barrel is heavier. Pluse the saiga is legal in CA, shoots 308 which has an abundance of match ammo and still accepts russian scopes, which I like. It is also much less money than the PSL. There are so many different names for the PSL that it is hard to tell where which one is made so quality changes, even though it isn't that good to begin with.

If anyone has had experience with these rifles or knows some great info I would appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
accuracy on these rifles are fair to good but not great, I have one, with an target trigger put in and still only about 1.5 MOA

Get a DPMS 308, you will be much more happy.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Have you ever tried to accurize it, or handload for it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello, noobpown!
fmsniper is right, with AK clone you should be lucky to get under 1-1.4 MOA. On the other hand, average SVD shoots about the same. I had personally seen SVD that gave consistent 60mm 5-shot groups at 300m with military 7N14 rounds, but that is rare case.
I normally dont like Saiga stocks, i've handled 4 different Saigas, and every stock I tried was a bit crude-just got over-accustomed to SVD design :wink:. However, if you find stock that fits you good, and lucky barrel also - you'll be just fine.
+ Unlike us, you definitely wont be on a short supply of high-quality ammo :wink:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Even with hand loads, here is your problem, thin barrel/non floated/ crome lined/piston activated action.

Again you are much better off with a AR10/DPMS/about the same price+100-200.00 more.

get a DPMS Panther, a good scope and you will be able to do anything you want, from hunting to target.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I hear you on the chrome lined bore, with a barrel that won't be as good (most likely) as the AR, but the stock can be floated, no? Some piston driven actions with tighter tolerances are capable shooters though, and thin barrels still give outstanding groups. Depends on the use of the rifle, I know they would open up with long strings, but thin barrels can be wickedly accurate.

I'm not arguing the choice of rifle though. I would go with the DPMS as well, if I was unsure. If the guy really wants a Russian rifle though, and knows what kind of accuracy he will get, that's cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was originally looking at some rem and savage bolts but after reading a review of the romanian psl I decided I wanted one. Due to where I live I cannot have a semi-auto rife with a pistol grip ordered but I sure can make one, plus I can order adjustable syn. stocks for the psl that greatly improve it's performance. But I want an accurate rifle that I can have fun with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot get a DPMS, pluse they are a little more than I want to spend. I want to max out at around $750 after everything is over.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
noobpown said:
I cannot get a DPMS, pluse they are a little more than I want to spend. I want to max out at around $750 after everything is over.
You might want to go with the Savage, then. They are fantastic shooters right out the box! You can get a new heavy-barrel Savage AND a scope for that price range!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Awww, no DPMS?

Lonewolf is right...A 10FP and a nice Nikon Buckmaster 4x14 with side parralax adjustment would be a great package

1 - 11 of 11 Posts