Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can buy just the sabots? Im interested in reloading them in 300 or 308.

·
Registered
340 Posts
When you say "Just Sabots" I assume you mean the insert, not the projectile, as that would just be a smaller caliber bullet than you started with.

But other than for slugs in smoothbore shotguns, I do not think civilians can legally find, purchase, or reload sabot shells.

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

You can find some sbots on gunbroker.com for 308 from time to time....do a search on the web....I found a few a while ago from a web site that has such gone out of bussiness.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Come to think of it I too saw a box of actual Winchester SLAP rounds on Gunbroker. Don't know where he got them, or if it was even legal for him to sell them, but they were pretty expensive.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Interesting..... I wouldn't mind finding a good reliable source for some SLAP .308 ammo. Would be interesting

MEL

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
If I use a sabot round, what effect will that have if I use a compensator or flash hider on my barrel?

What I mean is: Will the sabot fall away and foul the bullet in the first 2" to 3" of the end of the barrel if there is a flash hider or compensator fitted, or does the sabot drop away after a few feet?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ravenblack said:
If I use a sabot round, what effect will that have if I use a compensator or flash hider on my barrel?

What I mean is: Will the sabot fall away and foul the bullet in the first 2" to 3" of the end of the barrel if there is a flash hider or compensator fitted, or does the sabot drop away after a few feet?
I was under the impression that it was more on the order of several feet.

My thinking is this, for what it's worth.

The sabot will only expand as far as the bore or the size of the flash hider/compensator will allow it to. It could only cause a problem if there was something in those that caused it to hang up or catch and I don't know of any flash hider or compensator that does would do that. Once free of anything holding it together it then opens up. This causes it to fall behind the bullet and fall to the ground.

Seems like if there was a problem, you'd have it with a BOSS too.

Doesn't Remington still make a sabot round? I'd call them and ask.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Remington made the "308 Acellerator" Which was the round Mel described. I have two boxes left. I chronographed those rounds at 4190 FPS average. Good luck finding them.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Do NOT use saboted rounds with a muzzlebreak! :!:

The sabot's petals are designed to catch air and either break off, or at the least bend backwards, upon exiting the barrel. They may travel from a few feet to several yards, depending on the velocity (my ML sabots travel an average of 31 yards). It is these same petals that can potentially catch in a break, flash hider, or sound moderator, causing the next shot to have OBVIOUS problems.

·
Registered
796 Posts
natdscott said:

The sabot's petals are designed to catch air and either break off, or at the least bend backwards, upon exiting the barrel. They may travel from a few feet to several yards, depending on the velocity (my ML sabots travel an average of 31 yards). It is these same petals that can potentially catch in a break, flash hider, or sound moderator, causing the next shot to have OBVIOUS problems.
I'm curious as to how you found this out?

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
natdscott said:

What about a flash hider? The internal diameter will be the external dimeter of the barrel. I could post a small picture if it would help.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Meh...perhaps so Raven, but I still wouldn't wanna risk it, especially if you do not plan to check after every shot. I also presume you do not have a flash hider on any of your heavy barreled bolt guns?

JunkyardDog:

HA! No no sir, I did not find that out the hard way. In fact, I don't know where I picked up that info..hmmm. I have a good bit of experience with ML sabot rounds, so I do understand their general behavior, but I would presume the increase from ~2100 to nearly 4200 fps might change that a little bit! :shock:

I got a chuckle outta that post though..good catch.. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
I only have a flash hider on my Nagant.

For the Enfield project rifle (the sabot gun), I might look at a compensator (Muz brake) that has an I.D the same as the MAX I.D of the bore. That way the sabot won't be able to fly off until it leaves the compensator. Also, rather than having 2 or 3 larger "exhausts" in the brake, I'll go with a series 1/16th holes that won't snag.

It's all theory to me. I have a few design ideas I want to try out - mixing some target sport theory with full bore sniper rifles. If the outcome is already known then I will try a different approach, but if several people "think" it might not work, then I might give a trial run.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I guess if the 'petals' on the sabot were smaller than the openings on the flash hider/whatever they could catch. Remember they're rotating at a couple of hundred thousand rpm, so that would seem to make it more unlikely. Bit otherwise, I'm just not seeing how they would.

I guess this boils down to taking risks and testing, if that is something a person wanted to do.

Does anyone see how it could do damage by firing one shot?

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
junkyard_dog45 said:
Does anyone see how it could do damage by firing one shot?
Nope. Go to it Raven, just be careful and let us know how it goes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts