Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how crazy would it be to attempt to reload with sabots? would the increased speed add to the accuracy.... or am I just off the beatin path? I am just wondering as I am looking to start trying other things with my 300 win mag. any ideas out there?

·
Registered
314 Posts
there have been topics like this before (i know i started one) and from what i gathered, the sabot loads can be just as accurate as match rounds.. there's the added bonus of them being armor piercing... someone please correct me if im wrong..

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure if i need armor peircing, but something to defintly peirce wild pig would be a bonus. a nice neat hole instead of a large impact in the hide.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The armor piercing comes from using a hard material like tungston. Firing a typical 22 cal bullet from a sabot 30 cal will not offer you any additional armor piercing beyond what shooting a small caliber bullet VERY fast would do.

Getting the accuracy anywhere near acceptable levels takes a lot of patience and work. Its difficult to get the bullet to align in the sabot and the sabot to align in the casing. But it can be done, and I would be very interested in seeing some results from people.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Sniper Central would be very interested in the results of your tests... interested enough to possibly purchase the components for you to do your tests.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If Mad could make something like the saboted sniper round Nekekami used to tell us about, wouldn't that be awesome?

TX, for that piggy, I'm gonna suppose that the bullet will either blow up in him, if it is constructed too lightly, or penetrate without expansion if it is tough enough to withstand a 3,000 FPS impact with a pig. Maybe with a .260 cal round you could get some expansion going, and maybe have a 257 Weatherby thing happening for ya...Would that be large enough to knock out your pig?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
That looks like a good article.

So what do you say Mad, do you have a .308 you could use to do some load development and give us a report? I'll still offer to buy the components.

In fact, I'm short on time, and wouldn't mind a little help developing a 260 load for me also.... if any is bored and loves reloading.

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a .308, but it is not a precision rifle.

It is an old FAL and it is not the world's greatest shooter. Let me see if I can get my hands on a bolt action .308.

The .260 is easy. Just load the 120 grain Sierra Match King to about 2.78" using H-4350 powder. Or you could try the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with the same powder. I guarantee sub moa with both bullets and H-4350.

Mad

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
madgunsmith said:
The .260 is easy. Just load the 120 grain Sierra Match King to about 2.78" using H-4350 powder. Or you could try the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with the same powder. I guarantee sub moa with both bullets and H-4350.
Ah Mad ol' buddy, you know nothing is as simple as that when you deal with me!!!

I'm looking to get the 123gr Lapua Scenar bullet to 2900fps from a 22" barrel. I would need some help developing the load... of course, it would require access to a 260, or shipping the ammo to me.

Let me know on the 308, I really would like to see what you can come up with in terms of loading the sabot's and what kind of results you achieve

MEL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It really is that simple. Just load the 123 grain Lapua with H-4350. I bet that somewhere around 45 grains would do the trick. I'd use the Federal Gold Medal Match primer and that thing would shoot.

I bet that even I could shoot sub moa with that combination.

Actually, I don't really like shooting my own ammo. It's such a waste. I try so hard to produce a quality cartridge and it is such a waste when such ammo gets lobbed downrange by a hack shooter like yours truly.

That's why I like it when Mel shoots my ammo.

Mad.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Just so everyone knows, I have shot some of Mad's loads through my twede scout rifle, and it does shoot GREAT!

MEL

·
Registered
611 Posts
sabot rds

I have used remington 55 gr saboted rds and loaded them in sks/7.62X39 they were pretty accurater at 50-75 yds and would penetrate a 1/4 steel plate,lol I know no great trick but load was 24-25 grs of IMR 4198 or H4895 and they would work the action on the chinese sks I had .
havent tried them in 308 have shot the factory 30-06 rds and they were pretty good as I still have some of them may try heck will try them in the .308 700 vs will be interesting. also I dont have a chronograph so wont have velocities, sorry and these are remington factory sabots with 55 gr bullets

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Marvin, that is seriously cool. I would like to try those for my SKS.

Something I always wondered about Saboted rounds is the feasiblity of loading 45 cal saboted muzzleloader ammo into 45-70 Government casings. I've never used a BP rifle though, so I've only seen the ammo behind the counter at the store. Think it could be done? Couldn't use them in the tube magazine, since most are pointed, but it would be interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as for that pig is am shooting - pretty sure if i don't mess with my 300 win mag it will keep droppin em like they got hit with a hammer.... just looking for another way to skin a cat, maybe a little further away... :) just lookin to play a little... gotta love a good grunt Marine... always willing to play

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I hunt with a 300 WM a lot too...what kind of loads are you hitting the pigs with?

·
Registered
611 Posts
sabot rds

Muzzle, I dont see why the .45 muzzleloader rds wouldnt work in a 45-70 the one thought is possibly the bp sabots may be a little large for the case dont have one for measurement so own your own there. yes the sks load was really a blast you probably can still find some of the remington sabots or the deal of making some up as noted in the thread, am going to the range this weekend with some loaded in .308 so will have a new post later after shooting them , the ones I have are 55gr bullets and total weight is 60 grs

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Cool, thanks!

Good luck with those 308 loads, don't forget to tell us how they perform!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it would be neat to take an ap .223 round or .17 and neck a .300 win mag down to it. Or maybe a .338 laupa necked down.

What do ya'll think?

Brian

Edit : I don't think a .17 caliber bullet could stand doing 5,000 fps or more without breaking up, maybe wrong though. I just think it would be like shooting a needle out of a gun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts