Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been thinking of buying this package deal from Savage for a few months now... does any one have any experiance with the Choate stock on it? Does it come glass bedded in the Savage package? Any extra info would be great...

Package deal :

Caliber : .308 Winchester
Overall Length : 45.75"
Barrel Length : 26" 1-10" Twist
Weight : 11.25 lbs
Mag Cap : 4 rounds
Stock : Choate adjustable synthetic stock with accessory rail, alloy bedding block with integral pillars and swivel studs.
Optics : Leupold 3.5-10x40mm black matte scope with Mil Dot reticle and side focus, 1-piece steel base and flip open lens covers.
Features : AccuTrigger™, matte blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel, oversized bolt handle, internal box magazine, 1-1/4" sling with QD swivels, Harris bipod and black heavy duty aluminum case included.
Suggested Retail : $1,949.00

Here is the rifle as it comes in the package...

Heres a pic of the case it comes with... its aluminum.

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Dont know about the Savage rifle, but that is the exact same stock as have on my M700

I like it real well, it is kind of bulky, but very stable in prone shooting or off a bench. The rifle sits in a full length aluminum bedding block but is not glass bedded, let me know if you need pics of the inside, I can tke her down to get some.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics of the inside are not needed... but thanks for the offer.

Is the stock clean? Well made? It says its adjustable... what is adjustable on it? The only choate stock ive ever used is the one i have on my M-1 Carbine... its the paratrooper style folder.

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yeah it seems to be pretty well made, all the edges on mine were clean, and the rifle dropped right in to the stock with no fitting. The stock comes with three spacers for the recoil pad, and three cheek pieces for comb height adjustment. Mine has a mono pod on the butt near the toe, that scews in and out very nicely on somewhat fine threads. I will be posting pics of some shots fired from the rifle in the pic later tonight.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the fine threads on the buttstock monopod a problem? That seems like a stupid part to have fine threads on...

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Not really a problem, just takes longer to adjust than I would have thought. It does not bother me though, as I use a leather butt bag under mine mostly so I can adjust rapidly by just squeezing the bag or flattening it a little.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool... thanks for the info!

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Hope it helps, I know choate gets a bad rap sometimes, but this stock is sold as the varminter and is really a pretty good stock. The stock has many of the features hyped on the "Ultimate Sniper Version" but in my opinion in a more subdued and and more practical package.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i dont think i understand you? If your saying that the bipod looks too short, then youve not done alot of prone shooting in your life. And keep in mind its also adjustable to 9 inches long.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was looking at that same rifle, but without the scope and bipod. Thats a steep price for that, since the rifle retails for $645 with out the scope or bipod. I cant see where the scope and bipod would cost over $1000 bucks. But from what i have heard, it shoots just as good as the 700P if not better, and at a lower price as well.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It comes with a $900 scope... $120 rings... $75 base... $75 bipod and a $200 hard case... Its a relativly good deal.

BC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts