Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how an amateur can see if the barrel is worn down? I shot it hot in the past. I’m going out to 1000 yards and I have no idea how to tell if my barrel needs replacement. Also, what would a barrel cost for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, I put around 3000 rounds of 180g through it with cheap ammo. PPU mostly.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Anyone know how an amateur can see if the barrel is worn down? I shot it hot in the past. I’m going out to 1000 yards and I have no idea how to tell if my barrel needs replacement. Also, what would a barrel cost for that?

Bore scope it, look for cracks etc. If you don't have the original bore diameter you really have no way to measure how much its worn.. if barrel bore shows no stress signs and its still shooting to your liking then its not worn out lol..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
Forgot to add, I put around 3000 rounds of 180g through it with cheap ammo. PPU mostly.

Also things like metallurgy of the barrel and muzzle velocity have alot to say about how fast they wear. Like 4150 milspec barrels, we had those that had 20k+ rounds through them and still shooting 1 moa, now 416R can get better accuracy but doesn't hold up to wear as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I get the idea. But I’m not familiar with the terminology yet. I was told 4-5k rounds is the life if you run it hot. But you saw some barrels with 20+k?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thank you. I get the idea. But I’m not familiar with the terminology yet. I was told 4-5k rounds is the life if you run it hot. But you saw some barrels with 20+k?

Yes, in the military, we had 5.56 barrels with over 20k through them. If you're a match shooter then I would say its beyond its best accuracy days but if your just shooting 1k and still content with its results keep shooting her:) alot of shooters use chronograph (velocity) readings on what ever their preferred load is and when they see that velocity change by a certain percentage they will consider it worn out. I personally have a 22-250 with over 5k through it and will still hollow a nickle at 100 yards so again I would go back to if it is performing up to your standards.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it’s probably best to shoot match grade ammo and see how consistent it is. Is that a good start you think?

·
Registered
539 Posts
So it’s probably best to shoot match grade ammo and see how consistent it is. Is that a good start you think?

I would use whatever you have previously had the best accuracy with. Keep it apples to apples. Match grade ammo doesn't mean it will work well in a given rifle. If PPU 180gr has been good to you , stick with it and compare results. If you never really nailed down a factory load then maybe spend the cash on a couple 20 bricks and see how it does. I hand load and tune all my ammo

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is easy... When you clean your barrel and run the brush down from the breech end see if you can notice any kind of scraping sound the first several inches. If so, that is the sound of the rifling and bore revealing evidence of the heat generated from the blowtorch temp of the round firing and the degrading of the barrel. I shoot long range competitions with my .300wm (soon to be replaced with my 6.5 Creedmore due to sustained recoil over 20 plus years) and am now getting the fourth barrel for my gun.
When ever I start hearing this scraping sound from the first 6 inches I know the barrel is toast and get another. The factory barrel lasted around 2500 rounds, the second, a Douglas Premium XX Air Gage lasted over 4000 before I couldn't shoot 3/4 moa at 100 yds, the third, a Boughton went just over 2000 rounds before I couldn't stay in the 10 ring at 1000 yds, only missing into the 9 ring when I blew the wind call.
What OI'm trying to say that it isn't too hard to tell if your barrel is shot by using this procedure.

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is easy... When you clean your barrel and run the brush down from the breech end see if you can notice any kind of scraping sound the first several inches. If so, that is the sound of the rifling and bore revealing evidence of the heat generated from the blowtorch temp of the round firing and the degrading of the barrel. I shoot long range competitions with my .300wm (soon to be replaced with my 6.5 Creedmore due to sustained recoil over 20 plus years) and am now getting the fourth barrel for my gun.
When ever I start hearing this scraping sound from the first 6 inches I know the barrel is toast and get another. The factory barrel lasted around 2500 rounds, the second, a Douglas Premium XX Air Gage lasted over 4000 before I couldn't shoot 3/4 moa at 100 yds, the third, a Boughton went just over 2000 rounds before I couldn't stay in the 10 ring at 1000 yds, only missing into the 9 ring when I blew the wind call.
What OI'm trying to say that it isn't too hard to tell if your barrel is shot by using this procedure.
I'll definitely have to keep that method in mind

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had always thought it was the throat that wore out in the barrel, but came to discover in a 7mag it was the muzzle end.
I didn't know about the different sound of the brush like @DCM556 mentioned - but then again, I haven't used a brush since before joining this site.
If you use an endoscope (cannot believe how cheap they are now!), you can see a big difference between the lands closer to the muzzle than farther down the barrel. There is a loss of definition to the lands. Mine looked flat out worn out.
The bigger tale is how it's shooting. If you start to lose accuracy, first clean it with a good copper scrub, and watch your accuracy. If it keeps heading south, your barrel is toast.
Lots of great barrel makers out there. Savage Barrels are easy to replace, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For $50 you can get a great Teslong Borescope that allows you to scope your rifle and look for the fire cracking that the OP talks about. I use it on me benchrest rifles (6mm BR Norma and 50 BMG) and it gives great resolution. You can use your PC or Cell Phone and you can even record video or take a snap shot of the bore of your barrel.

It can also tell you how well (or not) you're cleaning you bore. Just don't let it take you overboard and scrub the rifling out.

Check Amazon, they have this scope for $49.99 (I was going to post a link, but I don't have enough posts on this site to do so)

·
Registered
539 Posts
For $50 you can get a great Teslong Borescope that allows you to scope your rifle and look for the fire cracking that the OP talks about. I use it on me benchrest rifles (6mm BR Norma and 50 BMG) and it gives great resolution. You can use your PC or Cell Phone and you can even record video or take a snap shot of the bore of your barrel.

It can also tell you how well (or not) you're cleaning you bore. Just don't let it take you overboard and scrub the rifling out.

Check Amazon, they have this scope for $49.99 (I was going to post a link, but I don't have enough posts on this site to do so)
A lot of people over clean their barrels and this causes premature wearing because when you have that build-up of copper that is what gets worn in set of the barrel itself to some extent I'm not saying it stops the barrel from wary but it slows down the actual steel contact

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. I have a question on reloading. I can’t find my bullet and powder combo loading charge data. I have Sierra Matchking 200gr .308 with Ramshot Magnum powder. They only have listed on their sheet in 200gr are Barnes TSX FB, and a Nosler Part. Do I follow the loading data for those or call Ramshot to get a better answer?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thank you. I have a question on reloading. I can’t find my bullet and powder combo loading charge data. I have Sierra Matchking 200gr .308 with Ramshot Magnum powder. They only have listed on their sheet in 200gr are Barnes TSX FB, and a Nosler Part. Do I follow the loading data for those or call Ramshot to get a better answer?

Sierra probably has some load data on their sight, here is hornady data for their 200 gr

1 - 20 of 26 Posts