Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the savage 110fp's worth it or are they junk like some of their other gun also is the action as smooth as a remington 700 or is a remington 700p worth the extra money and would a new stock make it shot smaller groups

·
Registered
994 Posts
Do a search in this forum, there are a number of Savage and Remington owners who have already answered these questions. Sniper Central also has both rifles in review, which will most likely answer these questions.

Scatch Maroo

P.S. Please type slower if it will mean the inclusion of proper punctuation--periods are important.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yes, please do a search for savage 10fp, there have been many posts.

In terms of the stock, it depends on what stock you use, and how it is bedded. You will probably get some improvement in accuracy if you go to glass bedding with a savage. (they come pillar bedded, but not glass bedded). If an aluminum bedding block is done correctly, you can get some improvement that way also, but not over glass bedding.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
First off... welcome to the forums.

Second off... there is a search option at the top of the main forum page... just type in the rifle you want to see info about and all the threads about it will pop up.

To answer you guestion quickly... the Savage 10FP works awesome considering its price tag. Savage rifles are known for there "out of the box" accuracy... minus the large price tag.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You dont however get alot of the bells and wistles involved in alot of other rifles. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Savage makes a fine rifle for the money.

You will find lots of debate about it versus the Remington. I prefer the Remington, but I would say Savage's shoot about as well when set up correctly.

Savage owners on the other hand, in constant duress about owning the "cheaper gun" are constantly boasting about how great their sticks are. (Kind of like the little guy who always walks around with his chest puffed out?)

I'd say Savages are in dire need of a decent stock when it comes to being competitive with tactical-type off-the-shelf Remingtons. Trading a good quality bedding-block stock for the injection-molded plastic, overly-flexy Savage stocks remove a lot of the price advantage.

Many like the new Savage "Accu-Trigger". I don't. I prefer the conventional Remington trigger than has always been user-adjustable to a fine, glass-rod crisp 2.5 pound break.

As in many things in this world, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
As many many people have stated in many many other threads... if your going to build up a custom rifle... go with the Remington 700 action... if your going to keep it stock or near stock... you can pick almost any action. As for my triggers... i preffer Jewell triggers... you can get those down to 6 ounce's and the creep is 1mm (with 0 take up) on some models.

BC

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would say do what you can afford. A good rifle is a good investment. If you ever go to sell it, the Remington will have a higher resale value.
But also keep in mind what you want to accomplish with the rifle. If you just want to shoot tight groups at the range, you may not need the higher dollar rifle. You can buy a Ferrari, or a Ford, they will both get you to your destination.
Don't forget about optics. A good scope will cost as much as the rifle. Mounting the scope is a critical procedure, and will influence the accuracy. And of course the rifle doesn't shoot itself, so you have to do your part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts