Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into Big5 yesterday. I went in there with the intention of looking at a Remi700 (which big5 doesn't seem to carry) and they guy says check this out and hands me the Savage 111 chambered in .30-06... He hands it to me bolt open, nice and proper but it feels like i'm being handed a Super-soaker. the thing was cheezy feeling...I then worked the bolt and it was sloppy feeling and felt like it wasn't sturdy or safe at all...I was kind of confused because i've heard that savage makes good stuff... help me out here, any input guys??

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Savage makes some accurate rifles, however they cut costs by making the finish out less pretty than the other MFGs. That means the bolt will not be as smooth, tool marks etc. That is not to say they are not accurate. 10 years ago Savage made a pos rifle. A frined of mine that is a gunsmith likes the savage DESIGN, and claims it is a very accurate design. They are simple and easy to work on. according to him.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
They are indeed simple and easy to work on, everything is modular. Changing a bolt handle is a job you can do watching a sitcom. They are not a high quality, high tolerance rifle (thats how you keep them cheap) they are simply an ACCURATE rifle. Their exterior barrel mounting nut is another cost cutting means that leads to getting better headspacing, and better accuracy. Funny how that worked.

MEL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts