Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Quote:
I like the idea of the modified M14 mags the best.

Any particular reason why? Have you had better luck with them over say a FAL mag (which is MUCH cheaper) ?
I guess I just like the idea of using the standard mag release because I'm use to it.

As for the handguard, I like the ones from PRi and Armalite. The full-length to rail would be very usefull IMO.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/pri.cfm

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/ALOSTYR.htm

I also really like PRi's flip up front sight.

· Registered
1,307 Posts
I think to get into the market you will need to offer a bare bones rifle at a reasonable price, then offer "upgrades" (BUIS, rails all the cool stuff!)

Offer one like the "plinker" AR-15, call it the "lead flinger" or "lead slinger" :roll: . Use tha same setup as a match grade rifle but don't offer it with a ultra match grade barrel. Will Montanna Rifleman make a barrel for you? If so you could really cut some cost!!! COME ON MEL MAKE US HAPPY!!!! :D

· Registered
1,079 Posts
One of the things to consider mel, i think everyone here is focusing on the AR-10 platform and i think thats great if thats what your customers want. But dont discount the FAL. Alot of the mag calibers will fit the FAL frame with a simple barrel swap. Also, no one sells decently accurate FAL's for decent prices. I think this might be a niche if you could tap it.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I am leaning towards spades viewpoint as well. FAL is a nice platform to work off of, assuming there is enough interest of course. DSA sells some nice rifles. but it would be nice to have a FAL in a different chambering than 308.

J

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Okay, first point:
I put the picture up as an idea of something I would try for, I would not just resell their rifles (especially for that price).

Target price is about the same as the SC3 ($1450), less if possible, more if it has too.

Now, all of a sudden, there is interest in the FAL? Personally, I like the idea because its something more unique that no one else is doing. BUT, maybe the reason no one does such an animal is because there is NO market for it?? So, if you are a closet FAL fan, please chime in. Or if you hate the things, let me know also.

This project is in the planning phases. I need to get as many opinions as possible. So far, I like the response.

MEL

· Registered
1,307 Posts
I like the idea of an FAL rifle in different sizes.

I think the majority of the us population is going to go with the AR-10. Just becase they know what it is. From my experiance the AR would be an easyer build for MEL. All you need is a action block and a barrel wrench(and a couple of punches). The hard part is finding a quality lower that will not break the bank. You can pick up quality AR-15 lowers for $89 delivered to your FFL, can't do that with an AR-10 lower.

You just have to watch the price on the rifle. Alexander arms has not flooded the market with the 6.5 grendal (too expensive) same with Armalite & Bushie. DPMS has a good price for theirs, I think one of them is in the upper $700 range now. Only drawback to the DPMS is the cheap plastic mags!

What about aftermarket parts? seems to be way more out there for the AR than the FAL.

Stick to the basics get some business built up then venture out to the FAL(keep it simple). I would like to see something in the FAL though.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I think to get into the market you will need to offer a bare bones rifle at a reasonable price, then offer "upgrades" (BUIS, rails all the cool stuff!)
I strongly disagree. There are plenty of "bare bones" rifles out there. The point of the SC series is to offer a rock-solid system at a reasonable price, not something that just gets you by.

I really am not that interested in an FAL. I know it's a great rifle and all, but I don't see any advantage over the AR-10.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
westpointranger said:
I really am not that interested in an FAL. I know it's a great rifle and all, but I don't see any advantage over the AR-10.
The advantage in my eyes, is the much more flexible gas system and the abilty to fire just about any damn cartridge sept the 50.

If it works like i think it could, you could very easily set up one of these rifles for the WSM or RUM rounds.

· Registered
1,307 Posts
I strongly disagree. There are plenty of "bare bones" rifles out there. The point of the SC series is to offer a rock-solid system at a reasonable price, not something that just gets you by.
Let me clarify my post, it was a little of a joke :D , I am not taking about building something of marginal quality, just cut out all of the $350 rail systems, $300 BUIS & aftermarket parts. BUT DO NOT CUT the quality of the rifle!! You just cut the price buy $650!! I am saying one rifle with a 1moa guaranty and one with a 1/2 moa guaranty (could be as much as a $2-500 difference). You still have a rock solid rifle. Just a little more afordable to the average person. You can very easly offer a model with all of the toys! A lot of people just want the rifle but can not afford the 1/2moa guaranty. Just opens you up to a whole other market (you know, those dumb hunters...opps, I guess I am one of those too).

Take the SC1 rifle, you can get it as it is (darn good), but if you wanted MEL to order a stainless steel Hart fluted barrel with a custom muzzle break the price jumps about $500-700. Then you could add a A.I. rifle stock for another $500-800. The SC1 is a rock solid rifle at a bargan price. Do the same with the AR-10/FAL rifles. Just offer the upgrades: BUIS, rails.......

What is the weight differance between a AR-10 and a FAL?

I am interested in the FAL now that you say it will handle a shell larger that a .308.

· Registered
1,307 Posts
By the time you add the forarm rails (and other cool toys not offered to the FAL) to the AR you are going to end up the same or heaver.

MEL, when is the first production run? :lol:

On a side note, MEL how many of the SC rifle have you built now?

· Registered
1,065 Posts
caver101 said:
(and other cool toys not offered to the FAL)
Here are a couple add-ons for FAL's

Here is a replacement dust cover with integrated pic rail (pic below)

Here is a B&T bolt on pic rail - These are DS Arms rifles (pic below)

FAL for-end - I am not sure if this is a free float or not...(pic below)

I personally like the B&T bolt on better than the dust cover replacement. Seems to flow a little better, but that could just be because the finish is obviously nicer on the DSA rifle. I am unsure on the for-end rail since I haven't seen any rifles that have that installed on it.

John

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
In the picture of the DSA rifles, I like the top one, which has a free floated hand guard. That seems to be a nice rifle, but I'm trying to find where to get some customer barrels made for the FAL. Anyone know of anyone who does custom heavy barrels for FAL? I need to talk to some more people about that, especially about chambering in different calibers.

MEL, when is the first production run?
Heh, well, I need to figure out the exact specs first!! Heck, we haven't even decided wether it will be AR10 or FAL !! Of those that are commenting, it seems even. Now I need some other people to chime in. Am I wrong to think that an AR10 action is in more demand? Again, I'd personally rather offer something unique....

MEL

· Registered
563 Posts
I would have bought a FAL DMR if the tightass government would let me. I'm sure the AR might be a just as good choice and all - but nearly everyone has one. Kinda dull to have something "everyone" has, in my opinion. The FAL is a tad less normal.

The absolutely neatest would be a SIG 550 in 7.62, though. Not that it'll happen any time soon...

Don't know how easy it would be to build a really good FAL DMR, though...or sell it.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.