Would you buy an SC AR-10/AR-15 DMR?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

SC-series DMR

24K views 64 replies 14 participants last post by  mele 
#1 ·
Mel, what would it take to build an AR-10/AR-15 style SC-DMR?

Would anyone besides me be interested?

#4 ·
Good gravy! Whens the madness gonna end!! :D

It does sound fun.... but first let me get my feet underneith me and on solid ground with the SC1, SC2 and SC3. So, give me another 4 months or so and we can talk about it. I do not want to stretch myself too thin.

MEL

#5 ·
id also be interested in a SC M1A
I'd LOVE an SC M1A, but I'd be alot harder than an AR-10.

Gee, you sure you can't speed up production a little, Mel? I'm sure you'd have some eager employees if you asked around. LOL . . . JK :D !

#6 ·
Heh.... well, would these "eager" employees be willing to relocate to western montana? (gee, thats probably not too hard to convince someone to do) but the working for peanuts by be....

I've already done some things to speed development up, the biggest hurdle now for the SC2 and then other projects, is money. If the money is there, I could be working on a AR10 prototype right now....

MEL

#13 ·
lol, or you guys who live in CA could move to a state that doesnt suck. Whichever.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya, that would prolly be the best.

Heh.... well, would these "eager" employees be willing to relocate to western montana? (gee, thats probably not too hard to convince someone to do) but the working for peanuts by be....
How bout setting up subsidiary in Texas :D ? Ok, maybe that wouldn't work either.

#16 ·
I would be interested in an AR10. I already have a Carbine and 24" varmint from Rock River, so I don't have any plans on getting another AR chambered in 223 any time in the near future.

J

PS Mel, I think spade was refering to the amount of peanuts for the job, but the guestimate price range is appreciated. :wink:

#18 ·
hey, there are kids making nike's who get paid less than that...lol

Make it two bags and I'll provide shoddy work at a half assed pace.

#21 ·
Okay, I'm not ready for this project right at this moment. But now I'm thinking about it, but I have some serious questions:

It appears everyone is thinking AR10 as the foundation. Are there other actions people would prefer? (M14, FN FAL, G3, etc )

What needs to be offered on a SC DMR that is not already available from DPMS, Armalite, or Bushmaster? I want specifics. i.e. what would this rifle have to have to make you purchase a DMR from SC instead of one of these other companies? (Who all make fine rifles).

What else?

MEL

#22 ·
The M14 action would be nice... the FN FAL would be great as a matter of fact. The ar-10 foundation seems to be the most popular so i guess thats what you'll have to do. Wish i could get an FAL in a decent caliber though. IRON SITES would be one of the things that i would love to see. 1/2 moa guarantee of course. I know this is a tactical site, but wood stocks would be nice.

#23 ·
An SC M1A would be great. I thought the Ar10 would be easier so that's what I posted. If I could get an SC M1A at a good price, that would be awesome :!: .

What kind of specs are you talking about, Mel?

#24 ·
Well, thats what I'm trying to figure out... what specs are desirable.

I need to know what people are expecting. DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite, all offer very nice AR10 type of rifles. I like the bushmaster lowers because they handle the FAL magazines. But I would rather do something unique. So that is why I ask the question.

Personally, I feel a DMR rifle does NOT follow the standards of a sniper rifle. Because a DM operates with a typical infantry squad, his rifle should offer an "extended" range, but still be useful for typical operations, including individual movement techniques, CQB (well, he'd probably support CQB). So based on this, the rifle should be compact in size, semi-auto action, fairly light weight, and very rugged. Optics should NOT be high power, I would say no more than 6x. Variable would be handy, but I would suggest against Variables because they are not as rugged.

Based on the above, some of my specs would include:
18-20" Barrel
20 rnd magazine capable (10rd acceptable)
Aux sites desirable
10-11 lbs total weight

Something also desirable could be an action similar in function to the AR family for familiarity with existing rifle operations (DM's do not have the extensive additional training that snipers do, so using an operation that they already know would be good)

I would say 1 MOA would be the goal for a true DMR rifle, and I'd say it should be used with standard 147gr BT machine gun ammo, not M118. It should also be tested with armor piercing.

Designed effective range should be 600-700m with this ammo and optics. The scope should have an internal easy to use range finder in the reticule as well as bullet drop compensating reticule. A good example would be the Springfield Armory government 6x. I recommend against mil-dots, they are too hard for the DM to easily learn to use, and more importantly, its too slow. DM's fight a much faster paced battle than do snipers. They need to be able to quickly "roughly" estimate range and "roughly" hold off to get a hit at 400-600 meters.

Now, this is what a real DMR should be, of course, it probably wouldn't sell to civilians, as its not what they desire :D

So, if I were to design a DMR, thats what I would do, and no one on this board would buy it! So, I need everyone elses suggestions.... my views are are not centered toward civilian mainstream... then again, maybe thats desirable for some?

MEL

#25 ·
re

Surely for a DM rifle you want at least a 21-24 inch barrel?

Also, as well as AR10, M1 based rifles, why not consider basing a DM rifle on a weapon from the other side of the curtain?

Such as the M76 or Druganov, or even a Sagia semi-automatic hunting rifle... A Westerised and accurised Druganov in .308 would be noval.

#26 ·
well a 6x scope on it woudlnt be for the civilians but you could put the scope on ones to the military and not put the scope on for civilians so they can buy thier own
1 MOA guarentee is standard for semi-auto precision rifles like ArmaLite, Springfield Armory and Knights Armament

Bushy lowers are fine, FAL mags are plentiful, DPMS uses Stoner mags and good luck finding them cheap, ArmaLite uses converted m-14 mags now so FAL mags are the cheapest out of them

sounds like a good rifle but how much would it cost without the scope?
you would probably be entering a very competitive market right now

sent you a PM with more of my opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.