Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking the interest in getting together for a friday - saturday shoot up at the cabin here in MT. We have talked about it, but never finalized a date. So, I'm tenatively planning it for

July 15-16th.

This will be a very casual get together. BBQ, and some shooting. The other thing I'd like to do is run some ideas past anyone attending for hosting shooting schools up at this cabin. Its remote, and borders FS land. The FS land has two fantastic shooting areas. One clearing is level with a slight dip in the middle and ranges to probably close to 800 meters. The 2nd one is downhill and can go to 1500+ meters. BUT (there is always a but) its about a 15-20 minute walk to each range from the cabin. As of right now, I do not see how to get a vehicle there. There is a potential 3rd shooting area that is about a 5-10 minute walk, but I would need to negotiate with the land owner (which shouldn't be a problem once I know if I'll do it, but it will not be available for the July BBQ)

I was up at the property this morning and walked all around it. Its very nice, we saw (and this is no joke) about 40 head of mule deer, 10 Elk, and 4 moose in the two hours we were there.

So, part of the BBQ Shoot would be getting ideas and possibilities for conducting shooting schools at the facility. Tenative numbers would be:

3 Day School, lodging provided in the cabin, max of 8 students, total cost $550. Breakfast and Lunch food would be provided. Bring your own ammo. Topics would be long range shooting specific, no real field craft. Thoughts?

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Hmmm, if I turn up, will you have my Enfield and ammo ready mad? :D

j/k

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Yes much interest here.

I still have no word from work on my time off. I'd very much like to attend.

Regardless if I can make it to the BBQ, you can pretty much put me down for the school in the reasonably near future.

-snowy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm interested, but will have to verfiy my availablitiy - I've fairly new on the job and the lowest on the totem pole....

JeffVN

·
Registered
522 Posts
Interested as well.

Need to see if my schedule will allow however need to see if my bank account can take such a hit. :lol:

Still keep us updated. I would love to go! 8)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I will be gone... if everything goes as planned. There is allways next time. :)

BC

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hmm. I might be able to attend for the BBQ part. That would be about it. That's not good. I don't want to be the only one without a rifle :(. That and my slightly liberal ideas would see me killed.

I like the idea of the shooting school, though.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont' worry about rifles. I plan to have one or two from the shop (SC2 for sure) to let people shoot. Perhaps help cover some ammo expense is all.

BBQ will probably be friday night.

There is limited sleeping space in the cabin. Probably 6-8 people in the loft in sleeping bags. But there is lodging in Deer Lodge which is exactly a 30 minute drive after opening and closing the gates.

MEL

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i wish i could come....but i have baseball almost every day this summer--i bet it would be alot of fun!!!

~dom~

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good to see the date posted. I think I can drive over there for the Friday, maybe the Saturday, too. I'll be getting on a plane on the 17th. At this point, though, it looks like it'll work nicely inbetween two trips.

I'm all for paying for ammo if I can try out a SC series. After that, I'd just be sucking up any knowledge I could from other attendees.

OO

·
Registered
239 Posts
What part of MT? I might be able to drive up for the weekend. I'm not above sleeping outside on the ground if there's not enough room inside. As long as there is place for a campfire to make some good old cowboy coffee, I'll sleep on the ground. :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hmmm, I would love to come. I'll have to see what's going on at work and what the bank looks like first. If not, hopefully these get-togethers will become a yearly event.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've already put in for the days off work... Just not sure if i can get em. Heres hoping.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PLENTY of outside space for camping. There is an existing firepit in the front yard.

Deerlodge is in western montana. Its a small town. The cabin is about 10 miles outside of town (about 30 minutes of driving up the dirt road)

I would need some help providing some good targets. Not sure if anyone has access to some hardened steel plates (that I could even perhaps purchase)

MEL

·
Registered
994 Posts
mele said:
Not sure if anyone has access to some hardened steel plates (that I could even perhaps purchase)
There's an industrial salvage yard in Oakland: what kind of steel does it have to be (thickness or whatnot)?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I hate to make everyone cry.... everyone sit down... take some prozac.....

Spade wont be there. My boss not only gave me a no... he gave me a resounding HELL NO! and promptly told me to go cut some more meat.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scatch Maroo said:
There's an industrial salvage yard in Oakland: what kind of steel does it have to be (thickness or whatnot)?
I'm not a metallurgist, so I do not know for sure. Hardened Steel sounds good to me. My currently plate I use is steel of about 1/2 - 5/8" thick. It doesn't even get pot marked with SMK bullets at 300 yards.

MEL

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well if I can't go, the fact that Spade can't either makes me feel a little better. :p

I think I may be able to help with the steel problem but I need to know what thinkness ect.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts