Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble deciding on the sc1 or sc3. I like the fact that the sc1's Remington action is simpler to work on if i so choose down the road. I really like the large bolt knob too. I also like how the sc3 is kind of like a fully "loaded version" with features such as the claw extractor and so on. I placed an order for Mel to build me a rifle but I'm having a hard time deciding on which one I would want. I know both are great rifles and that both would look, feel, and shoot great in my arms So I guess I'm asking you all for your opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I vote SC1.
Unless you are going to be punishing a rifle enough to need a claw extractor and the "mud channel."

The SC3 action is more rugged, but it is not like the 700 actions are just falling to pieces constantly.

Or, buy both and I bet Mel will cut you deal.
:wink:

-snowy

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
SC1 i would say... ive never had one of my rifles ran over by a tank... and i dont plan on that happening... so the Rem 700 action is plenty strong for me. And... there are ALOT more accesories and gunsmiths familiar with the Rem 700 action than the Montana Rifleman action. The Montana Rifleman action is a GREAT action... dont ge me wrong. But i like to live by the old Sgt Maj's words... " If it aint broke then why the $%#@ try and fix it " :)

You cant go wrong with either rifle to be honest... Mel makes awesome rifles... either in the Rem 700 action or some other action... it really doesnt matter as long as its built good. And all Mel's rifles are made good. Personally... i would go with the Rem 700... but that is simply because i have heard Mel say that the claw extractor makes the action operation "slightly less smooth" i beleive he said... and i am real persistant when it comes to having an action that is " slicker than snot on a door nob ". :D

BC

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an SC1 and I love. Though I would love the SC3 if I had one too.

I vote: SC1

Why: As BC stated it's smoother and a big thing for me is the large bolt knob. Now that I have one I would make sure to get one on all of my 1st class rifles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just to throw a monkey in the wrench I will say the SC3 :shock: I personally have had too many problems with the 700's from a gunsmithing point of view. but that is a mute point since i doubt you will have any reason to work on it. I Personally just like the looks. It really is a win win situation, I wish i had such a tough choice

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Drew said:
Poundcake,

Your location says 29 stumps, are you at 29 palms?
Yes... Marines call it 29 Stumps because... well... there are more stumps than palms out in that part of the woods. :wink:

BC

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ya I thought so. I have gone through there before, always feel sad for anyone who has to stay out there for any length of time. There is absolutely nothing there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
sc1 or sc3?

here's my 2 cents,
i'm planning on putting an order in for an sc3 with a friend of mine as soon as i can get in touch with mel over the telephone. here's why:

1. the montana rifleman barreled action is available in stainless steel. the stainless steel action adds rigidity to the rifle and is virtually maintenance free.

2. the claw style extractor is more rugged. i'll probably never need it, but its a nice accessory to have on a custom rifle.

3. the stainless steel barrel has a longer barrel life and is easier to clean.

4. i'm not sure if the sc1 is available with a fluted barrel or not, but montana rifleman does produce a fluted barrel for mel's sc3 rifles.

5. the one thing that i like about the remington 700 action is the location of the safety selector. however i have decided that that option was outweighed by the stainless steel action and the claw style extractor.

all in all, these are custom rifles. i think that if you are going to spend the money on a custom rifle you should need to sacrifice as little as possible and get everything you want as precisely as you can. otherwise go with an H-S Precision, or a 700PSS, or an LTR. you know what i'm sayin?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
SC3 gets my vote. Why? Well first of all cuz I just ordered one! :twisted: Also I would like to say, you CANNOT go wrong w/ this choice. Both are simply awsome rifles, and are quality built.

SC1- For me the 700 has that 'been around forever, proven, just plain badass' feel to it. As stated, there are probably more options as far as accesories go w/ this one, but other than that it just a damn good rifle.

SC3- I already own a 700, at first I was goin to make my bolt gun. I decided against this however because I wanted a fully customized rifle. I wanted to make this thing right the first. The SC1 wouldn't be a bad choice. I like the features of the SC3 and think it will make an excellent rifle.

All boils down to choice, the 700 is very familiar to me, and I love it dearly, but I kind of wanted something new and different. The SC3 offered me this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Drew said:
Ya I thought so. I have gone through there before, always feel sad for anyone who has to stay out there for any length of time. There is absolutely nothing there.
Yes, 29 Palms, home sweet home. People never understand why I don't mind being deployed so much. I figure if we are going to be miserable we might as well get to shoot at people at the same time :D At least we get decent training out here. I'm sure BC can vouch, most bases won't allow us to do the type of training that we do here simply because there IS nothing here

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Is there anything stopping Mel from giving the SC3 a large bolt handle, for a bit extra?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That is a hard choice!

I say the 700, only reason is that you can add a DM later down the road (and that is the only reason). If you have no need for the DM then go with the MR action.

Lucky!!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Okay, to further complicate the decision. I want to state a few "undocumented" options for these rifles.

In terms of the large bolt knob on the SC3. I am probably going to offer it standard, or at least as an option for now, but its a $50 upgrade. (if I make it standard, then the base price of the rifle will move up by $50 to the same as an SC1).

Stainless steel barrel: $80 upgrade, either rifle
SC3 - Stainless action - $30 upgrade (sorry, remmy on makes their actions one way :wink: )
Fluting - 6 or 8 flutes, $200 upgrade, SC1 and SC3

I love them both. The SC1 is a bit smoother in the action, the SC3 has a steel floor plate, claw extractor, mud groove, 3 position safety, integral recoil lug, better bolt release switch.

MEL

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a hard decision I like both very much too bad im not rich...

mel,
do you think you could also add an option of the steel floor plate as an option to the sc1 for an added cost?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey caver101, sorry for my ignorance but what is a DM?

a DM later down the road (and that is the only reason). If you have no need for the DM then go with the MR action.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
meema4780 said:
hey caver101, sorry for my ignorance but what is a DM?

a DM later down the road (and that is the only reason). If you have no need for the DM then go with the MR action.

No problem man!! it is a "Detachable magazine." DM is what remmy calls them (ie Model 700DM) I guess that it has just stuck with me :D

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
meema4780 said:
mel,
do you think you could also add an option of the steel floor plate as an option to the sc1 for an added cost?
Yeah, I can... (now, I didn't used to) though you will probably not like the price!! I'm not a huge fan of BO floor plates, they are just SOOOOO bulky they almost look funny. I'd like to check out a sunny hill or dakota arms at some point.

Price:
Badger Ordnance - $300
Sunny Hill - $300
Dakota Arms (classic style ) - $170

MEL

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've heard the 700 has more potential accuracy over a winchester style action for a few reasons, one of which is that the firing pin is released a full millisecond faster then a winchester style action.

You can put a sako extractor on a remington action for better extraction, but I hear you don't want to load maximum handloads on it or it could dislodge it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts