Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i'm new to this site. I just joined today. I've been looking for a new tactical or targer rifle to replace the one i have now. I have a ruger Mk77 target in .308 and i'm just not completely satisfied with it. Its a nice gun, but its just not my favorite gun to shoot. So i'm going to sell it and purchase a better rifle. I'm looking at a FN A1 Special Police Rifle (SPR) .308. This rifle is listed at $1,250.60. I'm also thinking of buying a remington 700P and replacing the stock with a Mcmillan A4 or A2 stock. But as of right now, my most wanted rifle is an SC1 with a Mcmillan McHale stock. I would have a 26 inch barrel with a #7 contour. It would prolly be a .308, maybe a .300. I was hoping someone could offer me some insight on what i should do. Is the SC1 really a .5 MOA gun? If someone has one, how do you like it? If anyone has ever shoot the FN SPR, how does that rifle shoot? Please help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes, the SC1 is really a .5 MOA gun. I would really reccomend getting one. There are a select few on the board who own one of mels rifles and the range reports are all very good.

I'm not going to knock the FN... its a very cool rifle and it performs very well. But I have heard bad things about certain FN rifles... I have NOT heard bad things about an SC1... or SC3... ...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hello uwprunner and welcome to the Sniper Central Forums!!!
My name is Ballistic_Coefficiency... most call me BC... and i will be your tour guide today. :lol:

All SC rifles come with a .5 MOA 5 shot group @ 100 yards / meters distance garentee. Mel has posted several of his rifles that he has made as getting sub .3 MOA or so... i remember seeing a 5 shot .33 MOA group he fired with a brand new SC rifle he built for a customer. They are deffinitly nice rifles. As you may known... Mel is a "retired" Army Sniper... so he knows what makes a rifle a good rifle.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
uwprunner,

I will officially welcome you to the board, but obviously I'll refrain from comment about the SC rifles we build, it would undoubtably appear biased :wink:

I will be glad to answer questions though.

The FN rifles are pretty good. I am working on arrangements with one of the forum members to hopefully get one of their patrol rifles to do a thorough review. I do have a short writeup on the site.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The FBI set a .5 MOA requirement for their rifles that FN made, but I don't know if the SPR A1 is exactly the same rifle.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
All the other makes you mention are all good ones with a lot of good characteristics, but get the SC and nothing else besides SC ever again (since Mel won't say it :wink: ). Seriously though, I've heard a lot of good stuff about them all, but the SC was made by someone who knows all the pros and cons, ins and outs of those others. And it would put you in a club of sorts because there isn't too many of them out there. What it might come down to is availability, what time frame can you wait and which one will work best for that? If you don't have any wait limit, go SC!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hello there!!

I have a SC1A5 in .30-06 and I absolutely love it. The quality of the rifle is extremely high. The rifle is easily a .5 moa rifle. I went with the SC1 because you get a top quality custom rifle for less money then any other company.

Here she is.

I hope you go with the SC line, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hi and welcome uwprunner,

I ordered a Robar SR60 in .308 a few months before finding Mel's SC site.

Now I love my Robar, it's a fine rifle and I am sticking with it....but if I had known about Mel's SC line of offerings earlier, I would have bought one of them instead.....the main reasons being, the Robar was $2900.00 and Mel's rifles shoot the same MOA.....I say go for it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, i think i've made up my mind. I'm going to go with an SC1 rifle. However, before i can order one, i have to sell me ruger Mk 77 .308 and my HK USP 40 handgun. I don't use either one very much anway. Anyone interested? Anyway, onto the rifle. Here are the specs that i am thinking of right now:

-McHale stock in olive
-24 inch #7 1-12 inch twist

Any opinions or thoughts on this combo?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
How much is the HK goin for?

:lol: *pretends he can afford it*

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just bought the HK back in Febuary. I bought it for my 21st bday present. I bought it for 699 which is a little bit expensive, but for me to get it cheaper i would of had to order it or travel a ways to get it. I've only put 300 rounds through it. its in perfect condition and i'm only selling it to get the SC1 rifle. I'm trying to sell it around home for 625, but if someone were to offer me 600, then i'd take that.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
not bad, if i didn't have to pay for my SC3 I would buy it off of you :D

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sounds like a good combo uwprunner. I see you decided to go with the 24 inch barrel over the 26 inch. What (if any) options are you planning, and what color do you plan for the metal work?

I just noticed the SC1B..... :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just wondering if there was any particular reason that you picked the 12 twist barrel in the .308? My only suggestion is maybe considering a 1-10 twist in case you ever want to use the heavier bullets.
Just something to think about
Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I chose the 24 inch barrel over the 26 because of weight. I like having a 26 inch barrel though. I will prolly end up changing my mind and pick the 26 inch barrel. I also picked the 1-12 over 1-10 because i plan on mostly shoothing 168 grain. I might try 175 grain but i'm pretty sure i will stick to 168 or 165 grain rounds. I still have a bit of time to think about it yet.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I was just at McMillan's website, and I noticed they changed the layout a little bit. When I checked on the Baker Special stock, it said "...blind magazine only...". I thought it had a floorplate, is this true?

The same seems true with the McHale, it's "...best suited for a blind magazine or single shot rather than a floorplate..."

Just something to consider uwprunner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oops, forgot about color and options. I will prolly have all metal work done in olive drab to match the stock. Not really sure about options yet. I will probably get a Harris bipod in 9-12'. I am going to use my scope that i had on my Mk77. I had a Weaver V16 4-16X that worked well for me. I am thinking about sending my rifle and scope to IBA to get it painted when it is done in either tiger stripe or military camo.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
May want to leave your barrel unfinished. I think IBA charges more if your barrel is already coated.

Too sleepy to go check the IBA website.

Forgive me if I'm wrong.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
IN terms of barrel twist:

I personally like 1:10". It will handle the 168's and the 175-185 grains. But its up to you.

In terms of the stock. With the McHale, it does work fine with floor plates, it just that the front portion is inletteded a bit deeper than the rear portion. This is because the remington floorplates are designed with a forward taper on the stock. The McHale has a completely flat bottom, so the front needs to be inletted a little deeper than the rear. I believe the Baker Special is the same way.

MEL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts