Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SC2 prototype is all put together, using a 700P stock I had setting around (while I wait for the ordered PTS-60 from HS)

This initial prototype will be used for rifle validation, load development for our SC 260 LR load, and package development (developing 3 levels of SWS packages using the SC2).

I'll try to get some photos up soon, but it looks a lot like a 700P right now!! (though it does have a 22" barrel and not a 26"). It'll show better with its proper stock when it shows up.

Once I have wrapped up the SC2, I have 3 other prototypes in line to develop, so stay tuned!

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh... yep, and not to mention, toying with the ideas of a tactical spotting scope....

"no rest for the wicked" I believe they say

MEL

·
Registered
492 Posts
I hear that, I have been stupid busy at work also. I have been putting together project rifles for the company and as soon as I get a chance I will post some pics of my latest work. We are also doing a lot of construction at work and are getting ready to park one of our tanks out on the showroon floor. I have been workin with some friends of mine trying to produce a prototype of suppressor. Also did you hear that SUREFIRE suppressors are now available to the public?!? I was talkin with one of the sales reps and I think that now we are going to be carrying them. Mel you really need a MKII suppressed for your collection. John Tibbits makes them and they are awesome. JD

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heh.... I would certainly like to review one.... and wouldn't mind owning one, but for the price of the suppressor I could get a good chunk of the way into another prototype!! (not to mention I already have 2 suppressed weapons). But, again, I would like to have one :D

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sounds great Mel! Good to hear things are coming along so quickly. Any idea on the ETA for that stock?

3 levels of SC2 packages, interesting. Do you think you'll get the speed you want with the 22 inch tube?

3 more prototypes :shock: *grin* VERY interesting.

Can you elaborate on everything a little for us?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Velocity
First, in terms of velocity from the 22" tube. I'm shooting for 2900 which shouldn't be a problem for a 24" tube, but I will accept 2850fps with the 123gr from the 22". If I cannot acheive this, I will move to the Lapua 108gr bullet, which I'll need 3050fps. I'm confident I'll get the 2850 from the 123 though. 46.5 grs of H4350 produces 2960fps from a 24" according to Hodgdon.

SC2 Packages: The idea is three levels of packages in terms of quality of the accessories.
Level 1 : $2000 SWS
Level 2 : $2250 SWS
Level 3 : $2500 SWS
All three packages come with mounted optics and custom BDC dials for the 308 175gr at 2600fps or the 260 123gr at 2900fps. You can get normal knobs if desired. The optics on the Level1 will be Burris. Level 2 and 3 will have different Leupold scopes. The Burris will not have mil-dots, the two leupolds will. The Burris has a very unique way of estimating range of human (5'8") targets and 40" (size of waist up siluettes) from 300-900 yards. Its fast and easy with no computing involved, and developed by SC using their standard ballistic plex reticule.

The idea is a ready to go sniper weapon systems (SWS) out of the box with 1000 yard capability. (possibly 1100-1200 with the .260, still working on the details there)

In terms of the 3 prototypes:
SC4 - .338 Lapua Prototype
SCPH85 - Parker Hale M85 semi replica
Prototype #3 - *** top secret *** but it is a bolt gun. (to prevent the semi-auto rumor from spreading)

MEL

·
Registered
994 Posts
mele said:
All three packages come with mounted optics and custom BDC dials for the 308 175gr at 2600fps or the 260 123gr at 2900fps.
Could you explain what BDC dials are?

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I sure can:

BDC - Bullet Drop Compensators

The dials are marked for a particular ammo load for particular ranges. So, if you had an SC2 with the BDC dials for federal GMM 175gr at 2600fps. Then you insure the rifle is zeroed for you at 100, then you "slip the rings" so that the dial is pointing at the "1".

Then, out to the field you go, and you see a target, then use your scope to estimate the range at 500 yards. So then you move your knob to the "5". Which is 500 yards. The dial is setup with the marks 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 which correspond to 100,200,300... yards. Moving the dial to 5 puts in enough adjustments FOR THAT PARTICULAR load to hit at 500.

Now, these knobs obviously cannot compensate for changing temperature or humidity, etc. But it gets you really darn close and then you can make any minor changes that might be required.

They are extremely useful for field sniping and is what the USMC 10x and Leupold Mk4 M3 has, setup for the M118 ammo

MEL

·
Registered
111 Posts
speaking of this mel, can you answer this... i have the m3a fixed 10x scope on my 700p. i've only been able to get it out to 200 yards... (i know i know, maryland ranges must suck eh?)since i havent been able to fire it out past 200 yards, i dont know how far off if at all my bdc is. my question is, what is load the leupold factory .308 BDC knob is made for? 175? 168? it seems pretty close with the 168's out to 200, but like i said i havent had it past that to see where how far off i am when the bullet really starts to drop.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mel: Good, Good and Good! Exciting times :D

Bocephus: according to Leupold's website, the variable M3s are offered with both 168 and 175 grain dials in .308, in both meters and yards.

The fixed 10 power M3, straight from the website:
PN 54406 .308 Winchester 168gr. at 2650 ft/sec (Yards)

I'm not sure if the fixed 10x M3 is the M3a though...hope that helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
beaddrawer, thanks. i think i might have just thrown in the m3*A* because a friend of mine in the army is always throwing out the military slang..."m3alpha." it just flashed in my mind after reading mel's post that i have seen pictures of the fixed m3 scopes with a "7.62NATO" dial. and my scope came with ".308."
thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bead drawer got it. The defacto standard is the 168 at 2650, which is funny because the most popular ammo (federal GMM) shoots it at 2600, its all the other ones that shoot it at 2650.... oh well

MEL

·
Registered
140 Posts
mele said:
In terms of the 3 prototypes:
Prototype #3 - *** top secret *** but it is a bolt gun. (to prevent the semi-auto rumor from spreading)

MEL
Im going to take a stab and say its an M40 copy, any one else have any wild guesses?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
Could you explain what BDC dials are?

Scatch Maroo
Mel allready explained it to you but here is a little more info on getting them made for your exact ballistic data for your barrel / caliber / ammo load out.

Leupold Custom Shop will make you custom BDC's for your hand loads / exact ballistic data as well. Just get your ballistics data for your rifle and handload / factory match ammo and send it in with your order and they will make it exactly accurate for your rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just another update... I received the HS Precision stock I ordered for the SC2 prototype. The rifle is assembled in its correct stock and I am waiting for the scope to get to me from burris. Hopefully this week. I'll get some photos up, test fire it, and begin working on development loads for the .260 in the next few weeks. The rifle looks sharp! It should be a great little compact 1000yard rifle.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comments recoil. I will make some changes to the page this evening. I have not loaded that image of the SC2P yet, I need to.

MEL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts