Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

SC3 - Montana Rifleman Action

10K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  APK 
#1 ·
I recieved my first montana rifleman action being used on a SC3 prototype. So far, I'm very impressed. I like the overall action. Its very smooth and the floor plate is NIGHT AND DAY better than the cheap remington aluminum crap. (though perhaps not quite up to the standards of a badger or williams, etc). I really like the 3 position safety and bolt release also. Of course, the remington extractor cannot even be compared to this claw extractor on these actions.

Initial quality seems to be good, about the same as a remington action. I still need to adjust the trigger and see how nice it can be made.

this prototype is 6.5x55 swedish with a 26" #7 barrel.

I'll try to get some photos up soon.

MEL

#11 ·
Thanks!!!

I plan to have it bedded this week, meaning the first test fire next week. I am very excited about this action, it really is nice. We'll see how it performs!

The marble does look good, and I'll get some better pictures in better light when its all done. The next right I build for myself will be an SC3 Short Action in 6.5x55 Swede. McMillan Win Marksmans stock, 26" #8. It will look very much like a PH M82. I think I'm going to go OD green with the stock and maybe black metal work....

For those of you that have not seen the SC3 page yet:

http://www.snipercentral.com/sc3.htm

MEL

#12 ·
Outstanding Mel! We're all interested to see how the new SC3 comes out.

A quick question though: will the SC3 replace the SC1, or will you offer both?

I also noticed the SC1MH is available, interesting. As for your personal rifle I guess it was finally determined that you could get the 6.5 Swede in a short action huh? Good stuff.

Again, nice work.

#14 ·
I'll try to answer everyones questions:

The SC3 will not replace the SC1, it will be offered along side the SC1 rifles. Too many people like the remington actions to just quit making them, plus I got construction process runnind really smooth.

Yes, the SC1MH is available, and I'm building one for a customer now. This is just a SC1 in a McHale stock. This is NOT the same as the SC85, which is more of a Parker Hale 85 clone. It will have the detachable mag & bipod, etc.

The 6.5x55 will ONLY fit in a Montana Rifleman short action. It is too long to fit in the short actions from remington & savage.

The MT Rifleman Actions use the same scope mounts as winchester model 70'
s.

MEL

#16 ·
Was just talking to the folks at Montana Rifleman and they said the short action should not be used for the 6.5x55 because the overall length of the x55 is 3.15" and the inside dimensions on their short action is 3.125. So it looks like I may be building it on a long action.... not a horrible thing.

MEL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.