Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the SC3 prototype nearing completion, and the SC2 design finalized, and prototype started, I got to thinking about the next "big" development for SC Rifles. The SC4 is our .338 Lapua offering. Now, I will admit that this was spurred on by a few emails asking about the development of a Lapua based rifle. So how about if I run my idea by everyone and see what kind of responses I get.

First off, like all SC rifles, I'm trying to fill a niche market that isn't already being filled by the existing rifle makers out there. So, to start off, there are several 338 Lapua Rifles available:

Dakota Longbow - $4500
Sako TRG-42 - $3300
AI PM (L115a1) - $4500 (est)
Armalite AR-30M - $1600

The one thing that is notable is that these are the pre-made type rifles. In otherwords, you buy one configuration, they are not custom rifles. I know there are other custom rifle builders out there that will build a .338 Lapua, but I'm not sure on their pricing.

Now, let me present the SC4 as I see it, and the price.

CZ550 Magnum Action
McMillan McHale or Baker Special stock (possible other options, checking with McMillan)
26-30" MT Rifleman Hand Lapped Barrel of #6-#8 contours
MT Rifleman brake or JP muzzlebrake
http://www.eabco.com/images/JP02.gif
Glassbedded with atomized metal for strength
Teflon or Epoxy Powder Coating

Price - $2100

So, feel free to comment.
One thing I do know might be a limiting factor is the small selection of good bases for the CZ550 action. Ken Farrell does make a 20 MOA Rail adapter, but I've not seen it in person.... (thats easily changed with $100).

The Armalite is cheaper, but I'd like to hear how people view it and wether it would be a competitor...

Now, when commenting, please be aware that the Lapua is an odd duck and does not fit in MOST actions. It will not easily work in a remington. If you go with a single shot, you can possibly use the savage or winchester, but the bolt face diameter is also not normal, as its based on the .416 Rigby. The sako action was another possibility, but the new model 75 is not large enough.... The CZ is a good, semi affordable solution.

Anyway, feel free to comment! Good bad or indifferent.

MEL

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mel,
How much would the addition of a detachable box add to the pricing. As i recall, all the rifles you mentioned with the exception of the Dakota come with a detachable box, so it might be something to think about.
My $.02

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can look into detachable box, but fear it'll add significant cost. But will see what I can find.

The PGW LRT-2 looks like a nice setup. $2975 does not seem too bad either.

I'll have to look closely at what they offer vs. what I am proposing. I'd like to get the price of the SC4 below $2000, but will need to wait to see how the prototype turns out with costs, etc. I may be able to do it

MEL

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mel,

I saw one of those JP brakes on a 338 win mag at the range a couple months ago. I don't know about its performance but I didnt lke the shape of it. It looks like it would get hung up on everything your trying to walk thru. I would like to see something that more matches the contour of the barrel like a Briley, Viass or KDF. I would really like to hear more feedback about a Viass brake also.

Did I spell Viass right?

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
OK if you are going bigger are you ever going to the 50bmg?

What about a 30-378?

Somewhere on the net is a guy that is making/installing the AR50 type mb's on rifles. I am sure it works well, but would be hard to drag through the woods.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Well I'm glad to see the SC series coming along, I've got a couple thoughts about the SC4.

The opportunity for a custom configuration is good, and the price is great. Single shot would be acceptable, but of course a repeater would be better. I don't care about detachable mags in a bolt action. Also I think the SC4 would be way nicer than the AR-30, the only competitor in price.

I REALLY like the idea of using the Baker Special. The setup sounds good as you've desribed it, with the options and all. (I'd probably go with a #8 contour for the extra weight). A cut-out in the cheekpiece (if there is one) for removing the bolt with the cheepiece raised would be nice too.

With scope bases being a difficult proposition, maybe you would think about upping the price of the rifle and including the base.

It's definately a niche market, but the SC4 you described would fill it well I think. Being a Lapua ammunition dealer doesn't hurt either. .338 Lapua is punishing to shoot though, on the shoulder and the wallet. Personally, I wouldn't buy an .338 Lapua, but there are probably many that would.

P.S. I would love to see the Baker Special as an option on an SC rifle in a standard caliber.

Well, thats my .02

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The Armalite AR-30 is a solid rifle and well built... not to mention its not "alot" of money concidering what caliber it is... as you can see its one of the cheapest .338's out there (price wise)... its the rifle i would buy if i wanted to build up a custom .338 Lapua.

Now... after the .338 SC4 is done (if thats what Mel chooses to do) i would like to see (and i think others might as well) either an AR-15 SPR or a M-21 / XM-25 DMR... the semi auto DMR / SPR rifles are starting to see ALOT of use over sea's... both as a spotters rifle and a snipers rifle. Both of the Snipers in my platoon and both the spotters use XM-25's and MK-12 Mod o / Mod 1 SPR's most of the time over the bolt action rifles while in urban or otherwise intermediate quarters (when the furthest you will "generally" shoot is 1-500 yards)

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The JP was just one of the possibilities. I put the link so people could see what it looks like. I am not settled on a brake yet, but it WILL have one.

The CZ550 Action has integrated groves for mounting scope rings, but of course, there is no 20 MOA of cant, which, depending on scope, you may need to get to extreme ranges (up to 1 mile) with the Lapua. With a no cant setup, the Leupold Mark 4 16x will just about get you there... (it has 140" of elevation at 100).

The DMR is on the drawing boards, but I have yet to find a niche that is not already filled by others. I don't just want to build another M14 based DMR... it has to be unique and be different from whats already out there, and of course, be a good deal.

I'm also thinking of a .223 AR based system.....

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Bead Drawer said:
Now that the SC2 design is finalized can you give us the specs Mel?
I can smell the excitement... :D

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Mel,

Have you looked at the Ruger actions? I know Ruger QA is a little hit and miss, but they make a line of magnum actions including 416 rigby. I assume you will work the action over any way. just another idea to kick around. Here is a link to their web site and the 416.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... 5&return=Y

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
good idea, I have a ruger bolt action rifle and I like the way it feels, nice and smooth. Yea mel what about the ruger action?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have thought about the ruger actions, the problem is getting the actions for a reasonable price. As you can see, the standard 416 rigby ruger rifle retails for $1900. The nice thing about the CZ action is that I can get just the action for a semi- reasonable price.

I would be very interested in the ruger actions otherwise. If someone knows a way to just get the ruger 416 rigby action at a reasonable price, please let me know.

In terms of the SC2.

This is a remington 700 based rifle, the most affordable of the SC line of rifles. It uses HS precision stocks. We still use MT rifleman hand lapped barrels, but we are restricted to a #6 light target contour (because of the HS stocks). We can go from 20-26" length though. No large bolt handle. The availble stocks include:

http://www.hsprecision.com/psc14.htm no floor plate
http://www.hsprecision.com/psc15.htm no floor plate
http://www.hsprecision.com/pst60.htm with floor plate

All rifles carry a .5 MOA guarantee, only short action calibers (WSM's are okay). All have squared actions, lapped lugs, etc. and teflon finish. Any of the standard (no extra cost) HS colors are avialable as well as our standard metal work colors (OD Green, Black, Brown, Grey).

Price: $1200

We can also go with some other HS stocks, but price goes up.

Honestly, we'll have to see what people think. I feel it may "look and feel" too much like a 700P. but I'll leave that up to you guys to let me know. I am slowly building a prototype....

MEL

·
Registered
777 Posts
Well, it doesn't look like a 700P to me, especially with that accuracy guarantee. The stocks are kind of unconventional, but that gives it a uniqueness I think. Are the plans to make it a 6.5mm package system on hold?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, they are not. The original plan was, and I will offer it at the same time:

SC2 SWS
SC2 22" Barrel
.260 Remingon
Special SC 260 Match ammo - Lapua 123gr scenar at 2880 fps
Mounted with qaulity optics (Sightron MD, perhaps leupold, perhaps burris, etc) and tactical rings & bases.
Bi-pod
Case
CUSTOMER MARKED BDC DIALS for 1000+ yards matched to the ammo listed above.

Total price $2000.

I'm working on the details with the scope.... am trying for mil-dots and at least 12x.

I'll try to get whole package details up soon.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A quick update on the SC4.

The only two stocks that will be offered with the SC4 using the CZ550 action would be the McMillan McHale and the Baker Special. The action is too large to fit into any of the other McMillan stocks (besides the CZ sporter)

MEL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts