• VXIII 6.5-20-50 LR Target

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building my first truly custom rifle (thanks Mele) and I only have the finds to put the Gen 2 reticule in one scope. This rifle will be .308 with a 24” barrel in an accuracy international stock system, M700 action, 1:10 twist, 4 grove, just for the 175 SMKs.

The 3 scopes I have are a Mark 4 4.5-14-50 M1, Mark 4 3.5-10-40 M3 and a VXIII 6.5-20-50 LR Target (would have to put the M1 knobs on it from Premier). My intend goal for this gun: most shooting would be out to 500yds. BUT eventually I want to start shooting F class. Would also "try" to compete with it if I can get the time (like at ASC) So what would you do if you could only have one of the above listed scopes?

The M3 is handy for turning dope quick, but is limited by the 10x power. The 4.5-14 is nice, but the M1 clicks will be slow. The 6.5-20 has got the magnification I like, but it is a BIG scope and I will have to add the M1 knobs to it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

My vote would be the 10 power one.

Edit: My opinion being based on my thinking over 10X is silly....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say the same but it has 1MOA vertical clicks, it has its advantages and disadvantages.

Thats 1 vote, thanks Yimmy.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'd say the 3.5-10x because of the M3 knobs. If you are going to shoot some of these sniper competitions where the ranges are unknown and the distances change a lot, then the quick M3 knobs would be ideal and the 1 MOA adjustments an advantage not a disadvantage. If you are going to benchrest shoot with it, then the M1 knobs would be better.

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Of the three I'd take the 3.5-10x, too.

But I can't say I'd consider any of the three if I was to buy a new scope :? But heck, that's just my opinion.

And since me and Yim made a habit of arguing years ago, anything over 10x is useless up until the point where you're shooting at smaller targets than normal! Surprise, surprise. The fun thing is, you see, with a variable, is that you can actually adjust it! :p (yeah, Yim..almost like MMGN..) I set my PM II on everything from 6x to 10x on most days when shooting at 100m. But when aiming for an empty .308 case at 100m - 16x is better. Due to physical size of the 4-16x50 my initial choice was a 3-12x50 PM II - but Pete Lincoln at Roedale Precision gave me a great deal on a scope a previous customer change his mind on (the silly knobber got that huuuuuuuuge 5,5-25x thingy...).

Since I promised Pete to mention him and his business - IF anyone's considering a S&B scope, PM me and I'll give you his email and webpage. He's in Germany but ships to the US for a much lower price than the official channels in the US. And he's a great guy who's more concerned about his customers than his wallet. Sorry for the advertisement, Mel.. And sorry for abusing your thread, caver :?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

"anything over 10x is useless up until the point where you're shooting at smaller targets than normal"

So, are you advocating shooting at midgets? :shock:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not that I need to worry about it. But for a LE marksman in a hostage situation, you have an aprox 3cm wide area in the neck to make sure the light's switched off immediatly. With a 6x at 100m that's not exactly an easy target when you better get it righ the first time. Sure 10x will do. But what's the problem with more just in case..hm?

And the day you have to take a shot at 800m you'll be glad to have the extra zoom. I will, at least. Just take your air rifle out and try :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Yes, well, I am working on revising the air rifle issue.

Until then I shall just have to be content with my LSW. :p

I feel guilty about the obvious hijacking of this thread, but what are you doing these days anyway Maggie, now that you have decided to speak to me and all? :?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Slacking. I'm on a rather well deserved vacation.

Other than that, still in the armed forces. And they're keeping me busy as of now.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Kamatz said:
Since I promised Pete to mention him and his business - IF anyone's considering a S&B scope, PM me and I'll give you his email and webpage. He's in Germany but ships to the US for a much lower price than the official channels in the US. And he's a great guy who's more concerned about his customers than his wallet. Sorry for the advertisement, Mel.. And sorry for abusing your thread, caver :?
Can you post the information in a new thread for everyone?

thanks

MEL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts