Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My budget is only $200 and I need a scope for a 30-06. I won't be hunting, or not yet at least. It's a Remington 700 adl synthetic.

I don't think a fixed 10x would be good because I will be shooting on ranges of 100 and up. A variable scope of around 3 up to 15 sounds good.

What are turret knobs and what is sliping them?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
$200 budget on optics for taking a 700 ADL in 30-06 out to 1000yds?

Sry but I think your stretching your limits slightly there. Optics are always very important in long distance shooting and spending less than $200 on a scope to take a gun to 1000yds will be quite a challenge. At least for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well then what would be a good scope for varitations of 100-1000 yrds? But still not be too expensive, just to get the job done.

Leapers accushot scopes have good features on them but i would assume that a 4-16x56 30mm Tube for $125 means that it is a cheap scope.

Are swift scopes any good?

·
Registered
994 Posts
BayoSonne said:
I don't think a fixed 10x would be good because I will be shooting on ranges of 100 and up.
As has been said by a number of the retired snipers on this site, 10X fixed is an option frequently used to distances out to 10X.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Aside from some problems getting the ADL itself out to 1000 yards, the glass itself...I would pick a Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200...I know it is hard to use at close range, as you said. At 100, its not too bad for shooting at static targets. Tracking something on the move is hard though, and at under that range its a real PITA of course. Mel gave them a good review and I have used mine out to 600-700 yards.

I don't mean to sound harsh saying the ADL won't cut it...All I mean is that before I started making my own long range rifle, I used to try to get sporters out that far. All it is man, headache...they ain't made for it. My M70 would group 1 moa at 100 yards. Nice for a semi-economy hunting rifle. Not ideal to say the least for long range. 1 moa at 100 yards turned into something like 3 moa at 600 yards...thats 18 inch groups. Think about what would happen if I took it farther! If I miscall wind, or twitch and aim 2 inches off, that means the bullet would be waay out there. But, it was still good practice for actually ranging things with mils and learning the basics. And the scope always pleased me.

I went with a 348 dollar (from Mel) scope on my target rifle, and thats the most I can spend for now. I still want better, but the Elite 4200 4-16 is an exceptionally clear scope and versatile. Repeatability, well, I will have to use it more...and 1/8 clicks aren't so hot for some applications.

You could get a real tack driving Savage rifle for the price of the ADL, but the ADL is made to be shooting a deer a year.

Again, I really don't mean to sound harsh or insulting in any way...Just spare the trouble I went through when I was younger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just though that a 30-06 round was good for 1000 yrds, but with the right rifle as you have pointed out.

What kind of savage rifle would you suggest? The adl I am looking at is $325.

·
Registered
994 Posts
BayoSonne said:
What kind of savage rifle would you suggest? The adl I am looking at is $325.
I got one helluva deal on my Savage 10FP from Knesekguns.com for something under $400, but I also bought a Barrett M95 so he cut me some slack.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
94 Posts
You could get a nice Howa 1500 heavy barrel.308 for around $350.00

As for a scope. Maybe a 3-9X or a 4-14 Burris fullfiled II. I belive they are around the $200-250 range. Great glass/
It will get you into the long range game and then as funds become availible you could build up from there

·
Registered
94 Posts
gunbroker.com is an ebay site for firearms. some good deals to be had
walmart.com in the sporting goods section under firearms. you can print out what you want. go to your local walmart and order it. then when it comes in go and pick it up.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
google it and see what you can find out about it. The Savages too...the net is a great resource.

Learn as much about what you want to buy as you can. Read more forums...Find reviews and comparisons...find gun stores and look for the cheapest deal

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
google it and see what you can find out about it. The Savages too...the net is a great resource.

Learn as much about what you want to buy as you can. Read more forums...Find reviews and comparisons...find gun stores and look for the cheapest deal
Which is a nice way of saying we are tired of answering questions that can be easily answered from howa's website.

Please try to at least find a PICTURE of a rifle before going balls out asking questions about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts