Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here just registered. I've been browsing the site for a while and it's refreshing to see a forum where poeple actually know what they are talking about. Hope I dont ruin it.. hehe

I was wondering what you guys think about scope choices for a 300 RUM. I've always been a big fan of leupold, but I just dont have that kind of money right now. I will be using it for a Elk hunt coming up and it features a lot of open country. I would like something with a mildot reticle, variable power (as close range shots might also be a possibility)

I've been looking at Burris, Weaver, Sightron, But I know little about them.
Also looking at those prices I'm almost back to a vari-x III

I'm so confused :shock: :)

Thanks for your help and thanks for a great site

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd first of all, like to welcome you to SniperCentral.com!! I've learned that these are some of the most knowledgeable guys around... I'm not as experienced as most on this site, but you're going to pretty much get what you pay for as far as a scope goes. Leupold seems the way to go as far as good hunting scopes go. That's my input. Again, welcome to the site.

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What is the range that you want to spend? Mel has good pricing on Leupold, as well as other scopes. Given a price range people, will be able to help a little better.

John

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As for choices of scopes, Burris is the best bang for the buck IMHO. The fullfield II is a good solid scope at a resonable price, and burris has a lifetime warranty on their scopes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can go up to $500 max, $300 would be better.

I'm just looking for a good solid reliable scope with some range finding capability and versatility.

I have no experience with anything other than Leupold, so I'm trying to gather info....

I hear good things about Burris and Sightron, and I am recently hearing good things about the new Weaver scopes as well.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
nikon make very good quality with lifetime quantees also--i got a monarch UCC 5.5-16.5 with AO for around 350 bucks!!! hope it helps(dont use they're mounts though--theyre ****------why does it say stuff mel...u gotta problem with dung?

dom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at the Weaver web site. They have a tactical 4.5x14 with the mildot in the first focal plane, so the power setting won't matter on ranging.

My question is how much does the reticle obscure the target?

I live in a hic town with only one gun store, so I dont get to look at them first hand.

Still looking at a Burris fullfeild or signature, sightron, weaver, and Nikon, I can't seem to find a Nikon witha mildot reticle though.

Thanks again for your help, this is an excellent site

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, unfortunately, weaver has stopped making their tactical scope, which was a shame. Though you might be able to find some around still. I can still get the 3-9x tactical from one of my suppliers, but the 4.5-14's are gone.

The nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm with mildots and side focus is a very good buy and should be considered. If you can't find them, I sell them for $250 plus some shipping.

The sightron SII scopes are good, the SI's are not so good.
Burris Fullfield II's are very good, and I really like these scopes. I only wish they had a bit more adjustments.

If you have questions about specific models and pricing, just let me know, I have access to all of these scopes to sell.

MEL

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here is something you might be over looking. I have a RUM with a muzzle brake on it and I put the normal weight Leupold rings and mounts on. They didnt last for squat. The recoil was simply too much and the rear ring dovetails were just not strong enough. So you might want to think about going to a heavy duty ring and rail system. It will save you alot of time, money and frustration down the road. Not to mention if you dont notice this and draw down on that 8x8 monster elk 300 yards away and pull off the perfect shot and miss because your rings weren't holding and you didnt know it. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info

I was wondering on the Weaver ( if I can find one ) with the reticle in the first focal plane, how thick will the reticle be at the max power setting? It seems to me that wont do much good if the reticle obscures the whole target.

I have been looking for a burris full field II to take a look at but can't seem to find one with a mil dot reticle. I know after reading they can add one.

I'm headed down today or tomorrow to take a look at some of the optical qualities at my local sporting goods store. It sounds like Burris or Nikon.

I'm still interested though, if for nothing else curiousity, how thick the reticle will be at 14 power. I sent Weaver an email and will post here if I find anything out.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Actually, the question isn't a good one. With the reticule in the first focal plane, it will be the same thickness at every magnification. I would venture to say that the crosshair portion of the reticule will probably be no more than .2 MOA wide, probably less.

In terms of the burris and mil-dots, they use the standard USMC mil-dot, so if you look at any other mil-dot reticule, it'll look just about identical to the burris. Now, the burris ballistic-mildot is a bit different.

MEL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.....I think I better go and figure out how focal planes on rifles work. I assumed being in a focal plane where power settings didn't matter as far as ranging go, that the reticle would have to be magnified. I will study this.

As far as Burris and the Ballistic mildot, vs USMC mildot, What are the differences?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
hunter said:
Ok.....I think I better go and figure out how focal planes on rifles work. I assumed being in a focal plane where power settings didn't matter as far as ranging go, that the reticle would have to be magnified. I will study this.
Yes, the reticule does in fact magnify and demagnify... at the same exact rate as the field of view through the scope. So the reticule is always the same size in relation to the target no matter what the magnification is set on.

As far as Burris and the Ballistic mildot, vs USMC mildot, What are the differences?
For the long detailed answer, a membership to the site has a section talking about it.

The short answer is that the width of the dots themselves are .25 mils on the USMC reticule and they are .2 (actually .22) on the US Army/Leupold reticule. In essence, the size of the dots are the only thing different.

MEL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oopps never mind......I keep getting ballistic mildot and ballistic plex messed up.

One of those age things I guess...........

:roll:

And here I was hoping not to ruin the site by being the only idiot in here...
sigh.. :lol:

·
Registered
347 Posts
If idiots ruined the site, it would have been doomed back in January or whenever it was I signed up.

-Brian Shields

1 - 17 of 17 Posts