Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
I have been beating myself up over which scope to get for my Remington LTR .308. The first question I have asked myself is how will I use it? I bought this rifle mainly for treestand hunting in the Southeast where hunting in thick wooded areas. I wanted a short barrel and something somewhat compact to use for coyote hunting (I know .308 is a little much but I don't keep the hides). Anyway, I also wanted an accurate rifle to use at the range to see what I can build do to build my skills up. Since I'm in the Southeast, I don't think I would ever be shooting over 600 yards unless a special instance came up and I went out West. Anyway, with the above said, I have been looking at a Leupold VX-III with the Boone and Crockett reticle or a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1. Anyway, I'd love to hear any opinions on this as well as what rings to get. I have thought about Badger's if I go with a Mark 4 or just plain Leupold dual dovetails if I go with a VX-III. Any info. appreciated.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Any leupold you go with will be a good choice and mele can get you a pretty good price on them.

But I need to add that midwayusa.com has a sale on the 2003 VXIII 4.5x14x50 M1 for $629 ($200 less than retail) and the VXIII 3.5x10x40 M3 for $599 (also $200 less than retail). This is a very good deal on these great scopes!

Personaly I have used the 4.5x14x50 LT/T for years hunting/shooting in the southeast and LOVE it! It gathers light and is very durable.......Been on a 300 WM for 6 years. The best hunting scope out there....period!

(Just my $.02)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Or you can do what i did and buy a VX-II 6-18x40 for around $450+. Saves money and bigger magnification of the VX-III's you're mentioning.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The clarity just isnt there on the vx-II's.... If you want to go with something like that , get a mueller tactical. I can personally attest that it is very much clearer than the vx-II leupolds.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
For hunting DO NOT get the higher power scope. I have used my VXIII 6.5x20x50 LR/T and it is not a bad scope, it just need to be sitting up watching a field with some long shots, it is NOT the scope you need for the LTR and close quarters.

From what I hear the scope Spade is talking about is OK........get'em on ebay for $189.

Just think, if you go with a GOOD leupold you will always have a good resale value on it.

I have never owned a VXII so I know nothing about them.

Hope I am of some help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used my VX-II for quite a while on my 22-250 and have never had a problem with clarity. Its always been crisp and clear for me.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Then you've obviously never owned a good scope or your eye doesnt have the ability to tell the difference.

·
Registered
161 Posts
LTR

I put one of the Bushnell 3200 10X tactical Mildot scopes on my dads LTR, mounted with an MWG base and FA Enterprise rings. For the money, that scope is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts