Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I realize there are some types of red dot sights that have NV settings that will allow you to still see the lit reticle while wearing NV goggles.

However, I was wondering if there is a way to take a scope with a lighted reticle that does NOT have this ultra low setting and modify it so that it will allow you to use your NV goggles while using the scope.

I know this sounds rather "cheap", but couldn't you use some sort of filter material over the ocular lens to seriously reduce the amount of light coming through the ocular from the lighted reticle? Perhaps an IR filter, or just a really dark piece of polarized material like that used in sunglasses?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I don't know if that would work, but they make polirazing filters for camera lenses in diffrent sizes. You could always try putting one on your scope and see if it works. They run anywhere from $30.00 and up.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'd say if you want to use NV with a scope for your own personal enjoyment, do it right.
You will be shooting during low visibility and you will need to be even more aware of everything around you.

If you are going to be shooting on open property I'd consider your solution a tad risky for my tastes.

You get what you pay for and safety is the most important thing.
I'm not implying you are a careless shooter, I'm just saying that putting something not made for your particular scope over your scope's glass will modify in a manner that is not its intended use.

Maybe there is something out there that will meet your needs.
I'd ask the NV and the scope manufacturers both.

-snowy

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Digging up the past a little...

Did a little reading this month, I don't think it would be a low cost solution, but THE AN/PVS-22 Universal Night Vision Optic would solve your problem.

It clamps on in front of a standard scope allowing the reticle to be viewed in NV without any adapter or illuminated reticles.

It mounts via a 1913 rail.

http://www.mcwl.quantico.usmc.mil/tech/rsta.cfm

Hope this helps.

-snowy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts