Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a Savage LRP in 6.5 and has a budget of 700 for a scope. He can get a Vortex Viper PST 5x25 with EBR 7C for 7 with his military discount. Should he get this or something else in that price range? We will be shooting from the bench and prone with the possibility of shooting out up 1000 yards, nothing competitive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
The usual beef, and mine, is that Vortex optics do not seem as clear as others in that price range. I have a 6-18 gen 1 PST. The scope functions great. The 5-25 Gen 2 you reference does appear to be clearer but I have only casually looked through them not shot them. The reticle you list is very busy. That doesn’t mean it’s bad but the usual hit on them is the clutter. I would consider some of the Athlon scopes if I were purchasing one today.

Vortex customer service is very good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son has a Savage LRP in 6.5 and has a budget of 700 for a scope. He can get a Vortex Viper PST 5x25 with EBR 7C for 7 with his military discount. Should he get this or something else in that price range? We will be shooting from the bench and prone with the possibility of shooting out up 1000 yards, nothing competitive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have all brands and for the money you listed, try looking at the Arken Gen ll. I shoot PRS, 1000 yards and F Class. For the money it is hard to beat. You probably will have some spare change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have all brands and for the money you listed, try looking at the Arken Gen ll. I shoot PRS, 1000 yards and F Class. For the money it is hard to beat. You probably will have some spare change.
I’m hearing more and more positive things about Arken! Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Joe the Cyclops" the buddy of mine does optic reviews on YouTube and he has a tonof video reviews. He loves the Arken Gen 2 and says it's an excellent optic for the money. He says stay away for that new Vortex that is in the price range. I can't exactly remember why though.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I would check Athlon Midas Tac, the only thing your giving up if it was something he wanted was the illuminated retical. Ive got one of the 5x25x56 and could not be happier. Otherwise the Gen 2 Arken are decent, not as clear but a lot of scope for the money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here’s a quick write up about the Arken that I did on another forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great write up. Thank you. My son and I have never owned a FFP so I’m not familiar with reticles not being usable at lower end of the power range. Would it be worth the money to upgrade to the 5x25? I did notice that there is a 4-6 week lead time on it though.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The usual beef, and mine, is that Vortex optics do not seem as clear as others in that price range. I have a 6-18 gen 1 PST. The scope functions great. The 5-25 Gen 2 you reference does appear to be clearer but I have only casually looked through them not shot them. The reticle you list is very busy. That doesn’t mean it’s bad but the usual hit on them is the clutter. I would consider some of the Athlon scopes if I were purchasing one today.

Vortex customer service is very good.
I originally got a Horus scope for LD shooting and if you think the Vortex Tree reticles are busy, you haven't looked through a Horus H-59. BUT once you get used to shooting a tree reticle you probably won't touch your scope turrets because you just use the tree for your dope. Yeah it's a little busy, but you are able to engage multiple targets more quickly than cranking. Just try participating in a PRS shoot and try to engage 8-10 targets with different distances in 90-120 seconds. It was pretty comedic to watch someone try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just bought the 6x24 with the SAVE30% code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m hearing more and more positive things about Arken! Thanks.

Went with the Arken 6x24 and EGW 20 moa rail with Arken Halo medium rings. The rings look way too high. The objective bell is about 1 1/2” above the barrel. Do you know of a good ring and base/rail combo that would get the scope closer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am partial to unimounts, and the ones that I’d consider are pricey. I have mounts from Nightforce, Geissele and Larue. Badger makes a good one, but I think the king of scope mounts is, and has been for a long time, the Spuhr line of products. But, depending on your budget, Seekins, Burris and a few others make perfectly acceptable rings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a one piece Larue Tactical LT104 mount on Larue OBR 308 and really like it. The QD system seems very repeatable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts