Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Scope Problems

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeff_850 
#1 ·
I've got a 3-9 Redfield for a .300 Weatherby Mag. It wasn't my choice it came with the rifle, but the fungus in the scope also came with it. So I need to know what the best thing for a person with a limited budget should do, buy a new scope of get this one fixed?

#2 ·
My choice would be to get new scope. I'm sure fixing a scope with that kind of problem would take a quite a bit of money. But I don't know for sure. Send an email to Redfield and ask if they can do anything for you.

#3 ·
I vote for new.

Once you open up a scope (so you can kill what's groing in it) its tough to ensure it stays sealed after that.

Second, you never truly know if you killed it all and it'll come back.

You may well pay more to try to clean it than a new one.

G
#4 ·
I would definitely buy a new scope.

Attempting to fix this one would be more expensive and tiresome than it would be worth. And if, as you stated, a budget is a problem, look no further than the Leupold Rifleman line. You can get a 3-9x40 for about $200, a 4-12x40 for a tad more. Or even check out the Nikon ProStaff line, where you can get a 3-9x40 for $150, and the optical quality is really quite good. Burris also markets some well-priced good-quality scopes. But definitely get rid of the Redfield.

#5 ·
Jake said:
Attempting to fix this one would be more expensive and tiresome than it would be worth. And if, as you stated, a budget is a problem, look no further than the Leupold Rifleman line.
I know, I have a Rifleman on my .30-06 and it is very good. Can't get much better with spending $200. I would recommend it to anyone, that needs an economical scope for their rifle.

#7 ·
Well, it never hurts to call Redfield and see if they will cover it under warranty. Many scope manufacturers now do the lifetime warranty thing, so you might get lucky (not being the original owner) If they will not cover it, then as everyone else has said... get a new scope.

MEL

#8 ·
Read my mind!

Redfield won't help me, the scope I have is too old, it was never covered under warranty, but like you said i was looking at a Leupold 4-12x40 Rifleman at Wal-Mart yesterday. It was a suprisingly good scope for $230 dollars, clear and powerful enough to go on a .300 Weatherby.

Thank you for all the help! :)

G
#9 ·
REDFIELD

If it is an old Redfield from the Denver CO plant, call ABO in Flordia
(305) 859-2010 The long-long recording will give addresses and payment. They do a great job, I have used them myself, but it will take time...................................Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.