Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a big question... welp here goes...if the scope mounts are high... that meanwhen sighted in at 100yrds to hit a zero.. thats gunna put the bullet at a very odd angle at 200... or even 50yrds......bcause ithe scope has to make an angel for the bullet path...cuz the scope is so high off.. right??and if so... what can you do about this...and no i cant get smaller mounts cuz it wont work with the scope.. :(

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you have a massive objective lens that wont allow you to move the center of the scope any closer to the barrel... then your SOL... They make certain Mil mounts that adjust your angle ... you can try a different angle mount maybe.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
A few more details is probably needed. Like the size of the scope and if you have fired it yet to confirm abnormalities.

MEL

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just zero it in at 100 and learn what it does at 50, 200 and other distances
it shouldnt vary by that much between 50-200 an inch or 3 maybe 4 on some rifles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys... its a 40mm sportsman from bushnelll...its a little short in the center.. and the wrings wont grap on even surface...so if i got higher rings it woudl be able to grap evenly and the scope woudlnt rub on gun....if anyone has msn or aim...i can show you on webcam...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
do not let the scope touch the gun... period. It must only touch the rings. If it touches the barrel, you will screw your barrel harmonics, and its added stress to the scope. If you need to get taller rings, that shouldn't be a problem. But a 40mm bell should only require "medium" high rings (low for some manufacturers).

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea you deffinitly dont want anything touching the barrel... when the bullet is going through the barrel... the barrel will actually flex around the bullet... thats why if you fire a steel core round through a barrel into water... then get the round out of the water and try to put it down through the muzzle into the barrel... it wont fit. Not even close. Matter of fact... some times the bullet is a larger diameter after it is fired. And if your scope is touching the barrel.. and you fire a round.. thats going to do one or more of several things... bend your scope... break the scope... damage the scope... bend the barrel... dent the inside of the bore... bend the barrel... or just totally screw somthing up. I have a 25-06 that i got when i was 19 for hunting... i had the same problem you are having. I didnt care and i let the scope lean on the barrel. When i took it out to the range and fired it... i broke the objective lens on a 400 dollor scope :oops:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ideally you want the scope as close to the barrel as possible, but having the scope a bit too high is not a terrible thing. An extra 1/8 inch won't hurt. Your angle/elevation adjustments will be a bit off at close range. But the farther you shoot, the less you will notice because the angle decreases.
Just shoot 50, 100, 150, 200 yds and keep a log of your elevation changes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but guys......thats not the problem.... in the cener of the scope it isnt long enough and the dial rubs on the mount..thats why i need a higher rings

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you can post a pic, then that will go a long way in clarifying any misconceptions people are having with the actual problem you are encountering.

John

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Olson dude, I think you have a shotgun or compact scope crammed into long action rifle mounts. If the tube isn't long enough, it shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
olsen.

i think your right. try to post a pic or post one on the gallery thread. then they will get it. im understand but im not gun illerate enough to tell you how to fix it. sorry.

larry

·
Registered
114 Posts
and i cant spell. ha ha sorry

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope its a bushnell sportsman...for rifles...and how do i post a pic????.....noone woudl ever tell me..ill go ahead and take pics but just tell me how to poast them
thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
just send em to me olson... ill get em up here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well anyone?? how do i post???? i click image and it dont have options to like insert my image...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
you have to host the images on the internet and then provide a link. photobucket is good for this.

spade offered to take care of it for you, just email the images to him

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Spade said he would post them for you if you wanted. You can just email them to him, or you can go to

http://www.photobucket.com

Set up a free account. Once you upload your pictures to them, there will be a url for each of the pictures you uploaded. That is when you use the Img button in your post. ie:

That should work.

John[/url]

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Those rings look like they are the lowest size you can get... you have to get medium height rings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts