Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since im fairly new to this community im not quite sure on some things. Do scope rings really make THAT big of a difference? Cause i look through photos of rifles on these forums and it appears that 90% of them have tactical rings and bases. I am just using the standard leupold bases and rings. Just wondering how big of a difference they make.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Talk to several diffrent people get diffrent answers from each one. IMHO a quality standard set of rings and base work fine for everyday use. Get the high dollar ones if you have a super mag like the 338 laupa, or are a pro sniper and beat tyhe crap out of your rifle. You should be fine as long as you do not fit in the above catagory.

·
Registered
565 Posts
To normal target shooting at the range, normal hunting and such, you probably wouldn't need anything stronger than "standard" rings.

BUT, personally, I've spent bucketloads of money on the rifle, half a bucket on my current scope and big, big, big bucket on my new S&B PM II - and since rings and a base isn't exactly anywhere near remotely as expensive as the rest of the righ...well, why not? It would be incredibly ironic to have my rings and/or base fail while the rifle and scope works perfectly.

I just look at it as fairly cheap insurance against those stupid things that happen once a while. Besides, TPS - to name one brand - apparently produce high quality rings and bases at really low prices. But in the end, it's your call. If you don't (ab)use your rifle enough for your current rings to fail...there's no dire need to get new heavy duty rings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts