Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
ok, so I don't know squat about the .50 as a precision instrument of death, but is 1.5 MOA something to crow about for accuracy?

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The Rock River Arms ar-15 made for the DEA also gives a 1.5MOA guarantee. It also generally shoots about half that. A call to Rock River confirmed that they just say that because 1.5 MOA is all the gov't contract requires.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
With a semi auto .50BMG 1.5 MOA is the norm for a factory garentee (i expect it will be more accurate though)... allthough there are much more accurate .50's but they are generally bolt action. There are several units recieving this rifle other than the SEAL Team's. There is T.F. 121 (joint service special forces from all 4 branches), T.F. South (Army and Airforce special forces), T.F. K-BAR (SEAL and USMC Force Recon). Also... Marine Detachement One (special forces force reconassaince). As far as "regular" Force Recon and Army Special Forces getting this rifle i doubt it... they have rifles that are just as good (in my opinion) (EDM M-96... EDM M-99... M-82A3... ect) As you can probably see... the design of the "new" rifle is designed around the bullpup Barrett action.

BC

·
Registered
148 Posts
Question: isn't accuracy international bankrupt already and so if they're gone who the hell will produce the rifle?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Accuracy International should be back up and running in a few months according to there website.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my arms around the benefits of this rifle over the M82A3/XM107.

It weighs 28-31 lbs (depends on wether you believe the article or the provided stats from AI which says 31lbs) and its no more accurate. I will concede that it is shorter and that is an advantage....but what else????

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well... its expensive... its intimidating looking... looks futuristic... ect. :lol:

The only real advantage i can see is that its a bullpup designed rifle... so its shorter. Other than that... its just another .50. The 5 round single stack magazine is kinda a backwards step as well... and a few of the groups posted on that web site arnt real impressive either.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Mabye the ease of take down is the added benifit?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Well im not sure how to take down this new rifle... but i know that the Barrett is the most simple rifle (in its class) to break down. Two pull pins... take out the bolt / bolt carrier and your done.

BC

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Two pull pins... take out the bolt / bolt carrier and your done.
Agreed--the article says it takes three minutes to break it down, but it takes me one minute to take apart the Barrett. The rifle is only six pounds lighter than the Barrett, too, so I don't think that's the new marked improvement: maybe some Colonel is retiring soon and anticipating a cushy exec. job?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scatch Maroo said:
maybe some Colonel is retiring soon and anticipating a cushy exec. job?

Scatch Maroo
Ehem...that would be a Rear Admiral :wink: .

[Edit] ...Or a Navy Captain.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
[quote="Ballistic_Coefficiency":2dko283x]Two pull pins... take out the bolt / bolt carrier and your done.
Agreed--the article says it takes three minutes to break it down, but it takes me one minute to take apart the Barrett. The rifle is only six pounds lighter than the Barrett, too, so I don't think that's the new marked improvement: maybe some Colonel is retiring soon and anticipating a cushy exec. job?

Scatch Maroo[/quote:2dko283x]

I'm not sure six pounds lighter in a 50 bmg is a benefit or draw back. From what I understand recoil can be and issue with the .50 Granted I'v never fired a .50 bmg sniper rifle, just what I have read.

While we are at it why not make a 40 mm sniper rifle to enhance the MK19 :twisted:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ekaphoto said:
I'm not sure six pounds lighter in a 50 bmg is a benefit or draw back. From what I understand recoil can be and issue with the .50 Granted I'v never fired a .50 bmg sniper rifle, just what I have read.

While we are at it why not make a 40 mm sniper rifle to enhance the MK19 :twisted:
Well yes... and no. Some .50's (Such as the EDM M-96) feels like you were hit by a car when you shoot it in the prone position... and some other rifles (like the Armalite AR-50 and many others) have the recoil of a 20 guage shotgun or less.

As far as a very large caliber rifle goes... its allready out. The Barrett M-109 25mm Anti Materiel rifle is capable of 4,500 yard shots on Medium vehicle sized tagets and comes with many different types of ammunition.

BC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts