Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Caliber Choice_

Bush Scout said:
I mainly shoot .308 and, depending on the purpose can vary the Round from 102 Grain Sako on up to 220 Grain. For Match I use Hornady Match 168Gr.HPBT, or else Lapua 167Gr. Scenar. Hunting I use Hornady 150Gr.Soft Point SST. For practise, plinking & Rabbits it's the 102Gr.Sakos (@ 3087.5 Fps);for Varminting the 123Gr.Gamehead(Soft Point) or Speedhead (Full Jacket) are very effective.
All this and more from the Steyr Scout with a Shepherd P2 Scope on.
Could one ask for anything more?

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK this may be the same old stuiped question. got a old rem 721 in .06. Ive done a lot of work on it already. triger job,recrown,lap lungs,adjust headspace,float and bed no pillers yet need new stock first. It is a hunting rifle with bipod if it maters 3-9x40 ballistc plx.rit. burris. First off barrle has a 1 in 10 twist lenght ? at the gun smith as we typ. What gr bullet 150 160 in know 180 dont work for &#it. I dont HAND load YET. What kind of yardage am I looking at get out of an this old girl?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I can't see why you couldn't get 1000+ yards out of a .30-06. With 170 grain bullets or heavier. 200 grain bullets are right at the edge, but I'm sure that with the right loads, they'd do the job. I'd go with some Bergers, 185 or 190 VLDs, and give them a try. What length barrel is on your 721? 20" with the new crown?
If so, you might try some Reloader 22, or some IMR 4895.
Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
I gess I should try the heavyer gr againe. Havent shoot them since I started working on it. Wow a 1000 Y dont know if it is in me? Were do I find a 1000 Y in MN

·
Registered
121 Posts
hmmmm

Situation:
I live on a dairy farm. I love to hunt. I strive for accuracy. I do not accept mediocrity. While checking heifers in the back 40 it's not uncommon to catch the fleeting glimpse of a coyote or the bobbing head of a woodchuck. I would like to take advantage of these situations with what I would call a Truck gun.

I already own an accurized remmy .223 but the setup doesn't allow for the portability I require.

I own a .243 savage but I don't want to beat it up as the wood is too nice.

I've shot the rimfire .17's and enjoyed them as plinkers but doubt id consider buying one as a sneeze from a cricket would throw off the bullet trajectory a few miles.

So my real question is, what caliber, smaller than .243 and larger than .17 would you suggest for a gun I can tote in my truck to take varmints and predators as well as the occasional well placed shot on a white tail.

.204?
.220?
22-250? or AI

a penny for your thoughts

Much appreciated,

Nate

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Any one of those cartridges mentioned is a spectacular varmint cartridge. I have a Rem 700 in .22-250 and an AR 15 in .204 Ruger. Both have sent woodchucks and coyotes to the next plane of existance.Both have done so at fairly long range for the caliber - 500 yards or there about. Both are very tight grouping rifles.

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm thinking a nice light Rem 700 in .223 with a 1/7 twist 18 or 20" barrel combined with some .223 rem reloads with Barnes TSX 70gr bullets. It will be enough to drop a deer, and all the rest you mentioned.

Reactions: Kilerhamilton

·
Registered
33 Posts
im a new ish shooter but i know if your looking to send yotes to there happy hunting grounds or just looking to add some groundhogg to the atmosphere. the .223 is great for that but i always reach for my .22lr or .17 hmr first. i have a few guns that are bigger but they just look good in the cab'nett.

the HMR is deavistating little round out to 250 or 300 yards or ground hoggs.

wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
.260 Rem the best!

6.5 is just hands down a better choice for most of us. All rifles must balance recoil and down range effectiveness. The .260 Rem hits the sweet spot in this balancing act perfectly. If you make the bore any bigger you must go to a heavier bullet to get the same BC. 7mm must go up to 168gr or more to equal a 6.5mm 130gr BC. A 130gr 6.5mm at 2950 fps has recoil that most people can handle with out flinching or a lot of training not to flinch. As we all know it's much better to hit your target with a lighter bullet than miss with a big one. If you can shoot a .300 Win Mag well for many rounds at a time do it, but I sure can't. I can get as flat or flatter a trajectory with a .260 Rem and only give up 150 ft-lbs of energy at 1000 yards to the 300 Win Mag. Keep in mind the .260 Rem still has about 750 ft-lb at 1000 yards, that’s twice a 9mm luger at the muzzle. If you put a high sectional density controlled expansion bullet like a swift Scriocco in the right spot with that much energy you can kill most anything short of the big 3, the key being putting the bullet in the right spot. The mild recoil well help most of us with that shot placement.

So you have an idea match round and hunting round all in the same cartridge. In fact the .260 Rem is a great tactical round too! If you really want more velocity than the .260 Rem get the .260 AI and you can still shoot .260 Rem ammo in a pinch. AS for the 6.5-06 there is no commercial ammo and brass is $36 a box of 20 GASP! For what maybe 100 fps? Don’t bother. The .260 Rem is the best cartridge available bar none. You don’t need long actions, or magnums, just a great cartridge and great bullets.

I liked the demigod articles on .260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor ect. After reading them and others on the same subject it seems a shame that Remington did nothing with the .260 Rem cartridge, but I wish Hornady would just make .260 Rem brass rather than reinventing the wheel. The .260 Rem is clearly more than good enough to do the job they designed the 6.5 Creedmoor for, why give up the reliability of the tapered .260 case to get nothing more than brass, ammo and load data availability. All these could have been archived by Hornady simply making their own .260 Rem brass and loads and publishing the load data, then they could sell it to all the .260 Rem owners as well as new buyers that want the superb 6.5mm bullets.

The 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5x47 both give up case capacity to the .260 Rem to no advantage. Sure with very heavy bullets loaded to magazine length the 6.5 is about the same as the .260, but Hornady also publishes velocities from a 28â€

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Several of my shooting buddies are using the 6.5x47 Lapua and while it may lack capacity compared to the 260 rem it doesn't give up much velocity (if any) since it has a higher opperating pressures. I agree with Zak's articles about the 260 and 6.5 creedmoore getting more velocity, but he also states that handloaders are getting more out of the 6.5x47 than some loading info would suggest. 3 different rifles were all getting over 3000fps with the 130gr berger VLD bullets. Barrel lengths were 26", 27", and 28". All the barrels were Benchmark's 8.5 twist 3-groove (might have something to do with the excellent muzzle velocities).

I think the biggest advantage of the 6.5x47 Lapua is the brass. Lapua brass is the best in my opinion. You can run the Lapua brass in the 260 rem, but this will require more work since you'll be necking up or down. I think Hornady's cartridge is a good offering and I'm sure it's here to stay. Another buddy of mine built one of these and I look forward to seeing how it performs compared to the 6.5x47's since it's also using an 8.5:1 twist 3-groove Benchmark barrel as well.

I feel that all three of these cartridges give fairly close performance to the 6.5x284 while using less powder and acheiving better barrel life (got two buddies shooting 6.5x284's with same Benchmark Barrels).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have always loved the .223 in an AR-15. But, I am thinking .308 for all around. By all around I mean deer, coyotes, and Texas wild hogs. The .223 does not seem "big" enough for the hogs and I hate carrying multiple rifles on a long hunt. Depending on where I am at the Time I shoot <100 to 300 yards.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
223 would be just fine with a tight twist and a heavy bullet for anything you listed. Barnes TSX's are nasty things. The 70 will have no problem putting a whitetail down with ease.

·
Registered
116 Posts
custom .270

First off.. thank you to all the knowledgeable shooters who have posted here. I have already ordered my custom 30-06 and now even more believe I made the right choice. OK... I do not hear of .270 as competition rifles or LR rifles often. I own one myself, and all the men in my family own them from the Win. mod. 70 in .270 to the Browning ABolt in .270, Remmy 700 BDL in .270, and even Rugar mk2 in .270. ALL are tack drivers but never revered as LR rifles. HOWEVER I recently seen where Mr. Ted Nugent had a custom .270 rifle built and he referred to it as his best performing, favorite rifle as well as most accurate etc.... So... anyone know anything about this rifle? Can't find info on it and I missed any info given on the show where I heard about it. thanks. Also thought you guys would be interested in that tidbit about Ted's most favorite caliber and rifle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I"m debating 308 win or 300wsm for an all around deer and long range paper puncher on an FN PBR But wonder if I can afford or find the brass for the WSM...What you fellows think? Oh 1000yrds is boring by the way :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Choosing Caliber etc.

I love the points everyone makes about how to choose a caliber and the ballistics involved, but there seems to be a few point I would think garner more immediate need...
Primarily: Budget! For a person just starting out learning to shoot, the most important facet of the skill is trigger time, while some people can afford building a custom Surgeon action (in whatever LR config they want) mated to a Lothar or Krieger barrel with a nice Swarovski, U.S. Optics or Nightforce scope, the reality is; most people just starting out aren't able to drop this much cash! Instead, start with what you can afford (and budget lots of ammo)! I personally run a .308 simply for the availability and affordability of ammo. I'd love to run some big bore rounds out to 1200+ yds, but the .308 provides ample power for what I do, without breaking the wallet. Plus, it provides a good platform to teach the basics for proper long range shooting.
Second: The dreaded law! Unfortunately, living in California (please, don't hold it against me!) there are a ton of asinine laws that we have to abide by to remain in good standing. One of which is: the 'fixed' ten round mag for AR. While running an hundred round drum mag looks cool (not in my world, but there are people out there!), it's not feasible here. Same with the mother of all big bore; .50 BMG. Alas, I can't have the feeling of $3.00 go launching out the barrel every time I pull the trigger!
No matter how cool, bada** any platform is, a few constant remains. If you have to take a loan out to feed every range trip, those range trips won't be near as often nor productive. If every range trip requires extra attention paid to whether your gear may be confiscated and you go to jail..... well, that definitely should be considered.

jmho!

·
Registered
3 Posts
? caliber

I agree with most everybody about taming the recoil and better accuracy cus I just sold an M-22 Cooper in 6.5x284 and bought an FN PBR in 300wsm ,not as cheap to shoot for shure and probably not as accurate but I havn't shot it yet I'll let ya know. It was the bc of the 200gr accubond that turned me on it's .588 and H414 will push it around 2800 fps with about 60gr charge. But that's my flavor cus I like to send it a might further than what most shoot :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks,
First I would like to introduce my self, my name is Greg and I am new to this forum so I would like to tell you all a little about me. I am 55 years old going on a 100!! I detroyed my back in 2003 and like a real dumby I worked up untill I no longer could stand up and was taken off work Dec. 18, 2007. I am a born and raised Farm Boy and have been shooting since I was 7 years Old, I started reloading in 1973 and have done my share of Hunting , Shooting, and reloading. The last time I went hunting was Nov. 2003, after being in bed for over a year I made up my mind that no matter how much I hurt I had to get out of that bed. A real good friend of mine started bringing his Gun Mag's to me after he had read them. One day I ran acrossed a artical about 243WSSM, I shot a Ruger #1 in 243 Win. for 25 years so the Idea of a WSSM in 243 put a spark in me. I put my first AR 15 toghter in 1984 and decided that the AR would be a good platform for the 243 WSSM. So I ended up buying a OLy upper from MidwayUSA. I wanted a 24" barrel but they told me they was on back order and might be a few months before they were back in stock, since I had just sold some guns I had the money to build this rifle so I settled for a 22" barrel. I have had some injoyment out of trying to delovep a good load ( to me that is 1/2 the fun in shooting) I still don't have it shooting like I want but spring is here and I hope to get back out in the shop and to the range in a couple weeks. My biggest regret is that my barrel isn't a 1/10 twist I would to be able to shoot the bigger bullets. I do believe that my 243 WSSM will make a decent Sniper Rifle if the time comes! I hope that I can deliver some helpful reloading data to anyone else might decide to try the 243WSSM.
Later
Greg
P.S. This winter I put toghter a Budget AR 15 223 Varmit rifle that is a tack driver!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts