Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello this is my first post here. I have a .300 win mag . I am looking to shoot big game elk,moose,etc. Out to 700 to 800 yds . Did I make the right choice in cal. I'm new to long range shooting. The longest shot I have shot has been 350yds. With the .300. Did I go to big.if not what weights should I look into getting?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: .270 vs. .308

Tantor said:
I have the Stevens 200 in .270 while my brother has the Rem. varmiter in .308. My gun shoots just as well or better at 300 yrds. I know this is not shotting out there but we haven't found anywhere to shoot farther.

He is shooting a 168 gr. while I use 130 gr. with a wind I use the 150 gr. I don't know if he uses a heavier gr. or not in the wind.

I am surprised how well a $300 gun shoots compared to his $500+ gun. It was told to me that Savage spends more on accuracy than looks of the gun than most manufactures. May not be true, don't know.

I was also looking into buying a Savage 12fv in .243. My brother told me to get either the .308 of 22-250 for long range. After looking up some info on the net he told me the .243 would be a good choice. I don't need the .308 because of having the .270. Balistics are to similar for me to spend the money on a .308.

Am I wrong on any of this or am I going in the right direction?
All my benchrest rifles are Savage or Stevens actions. I barrel my own rifles with Kreiger prefits. I have yet to shoot a Savage that is a stinker unless the barrel has been abused. I recently built a 204 Ruger on a Savage action using a factory varmint barrel I bought used on line. With a 39gr Sierra Blitz King, I shot one of the tightest groups ever at .143" for five shots at 100 yards. The barrel is a consistent .5" rifle.

Go for the 243, the barrel life is not as great as the 308 but if your not going to shoot a lot of varmint or benchrest, it will last for years.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
First let me start by introducing myself. My name is Jeffrey and I am a SFC in the USA Army and started my carrer in the infantry and then moved into the EOD realm about 6 years ago. I was deployed to Afghanistan last year when I decided to move into the world of long range shooting. I ordered and purchased a blaser Tac 2 in 300 WM (got a great price) and a AWC thundertrap I recieved a good price and decided to go with the 300 win mag cart for price and distance uses. I have had the hardest time trying to find out twist rates and bullet sizes and how heavy barrels take affect. I was shot by a sniper and came home early and had a 3 month healing process where I was not able to shoot. I am now shooting at my local range out to 200 yards and waiting for the 600 yard range day. I have been in the process of bullet selection but am being told my twist rate is too slow. It is a 1/11 on a 26 inch barrel. I have been shooting 190 SMK bullets and coming in under .5 inch at 200 yards on most days. Now to my question:
At what range will the 190 gr start to destablize in my barrel? where can I find this info for myself? and do VLDB need a faster twist for slower rounds? Would love some advice on this? Mel has already recomended 1/10 twist for for 190+ grains. I may be going with the SC 185gr load but searching for as much info that people have to offer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings. My name is George and I want to get started in hitting targets between 400 to 800 yards. I am a former reloader having hunted most of my life with a T/C Contender in wildcat cartridges. Times have changed and after losing most of my firearms in a nasty divorce, I am starting over. I am disabled and don’t really see me competing in long distance shooting matches. I only plan on bench rest shooting using a bipod and maybe some deer hunting in PA.

Now the million dollar question. Since I am on a limited budget, I am thinking of a commercial rifle in a standard cartridge. I have a .5.56 in an AR platform. I want a cartridge that will not beat me to death with recoil, but it still has to be capable of 800 yard max shots.

I am leaning towards a Remington SPS Tactical with a 20” barrel in .308. I was also toying with a 7mm-08, but am limited by the models I can chose from. I have stared at different rifles until I am blurry eyed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
not sure i would use a 223 or 22-250 to hunt deer! unless you shoot in the head youre not gonna drop them. better go 270 or 308 and take them with a clean kill.... but what do i know im just an ol hillbilly whos been hunting whitetails for 20 years....

·
Registered
14 Posts
new to the site has nothing to do with my answer, im not new to hunting... just said i wouldnt hunt with that caliber.... ive seen guys try to take deer with smaller calibers and it took multiple shots... i just wouldnt want to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Being new to the forum and long range shooting I have found this very informative. Thanks a bunch. I'll be using my rifle as a dual purpose tool. Hunting and or target. I do own a loader but until recently have only been loading pistol loads. I will be ordering dies as soon as I select a cartridge . I have had my eyes on a savage (buying used because it's in my budget) but it looks like it's going to be 300winmag. I have found this to be helpful to reassure my choice. Thanks again!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just now, or more accurately sporadically as time has permitted for the past few days, read this thread and it has some great info. I suppose ill offer my 2c.
I hunt in PA so all of my cartridge experiencc is with game animals around here. I don't have nearly the experience to talk about the 'ultimate long range target' cartridge or anything like that either.
As far as LA standard cartridges around here, I really think .270win is the way to go for versatility. Decent long range capability, enough knock down power for the biggest game animals here. Although it is a little light for bear a well placed shot has no trouble at all putting them down. And it doesn't beat you up too much. Mine is out of comission due to slam firing and its purpose is changing from all around rifle to short range deer buster since my 308 and 338 fill the bill better than a sporter barrel 270 for longer range. But man I can't wait to get the old girl built back up and keep hunting with it till I undoubtedly pass it on.
For short action a do it all around here is the 308 as in most other areas. If I was limited to one rifle for anything I'd say this would be it. It just does everything well and is big enough for anything I'd like to hunt at any range I'm likely to have the opportunity to shoot something, but doesn't beat you up or make you think twice about shooting it at the range all day.
For varmint 300yds and in I like the 223 for all the reasons beaten to death in every article dealing with the cartridge. Out past that 243 gets my vote. Not bashing the 223. I know it is way more than capable out muuuuuch further than 300 just that the 243 does it better and is another readily available cartridge.
Just my 2c on what's readily available and works around my parts. I'm no expert but I guess I'm hoping I ciyld be helpful to someone just getting into shooting. All those cartridges are relatively cheap and fun to shoot. And they do their jobs great in my opinion. Welp time to get to work

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a new Browning X-Bolt Medallion rifle and haven't decided what caliber to buy. I have a Ruger M77 Mk II in 30-06 and I also have the conversion kit to shoot .308 with it. I also have a Marlin 30-30 and a sweet Browning BAR in .300 Win Mag, so I'm thinking something other than .30 cal. would be the way to go. I also don't want to go bigger bore. I've never shot 6.5 of any flavor, I gave my 7X57 FN Mauser to my son... loved it, so that's an option. I'm a little concerned about the ammo selection for which ever caliber I choose. I want a caliber that will provide some good bullet weights and loads off the shelf, that's one of the major reasons I chose the .06 over the .270 many decades ago. I don't reload anymore and I don't want to go through replacing all my equipment and components and tooling. This will be mostly for deer and punching holes in paper at 100 to 500 yards. Five hundred yards is stretching it with these aged eyes but I have fun trying and I don't mind slinging the lead out there. If anyone has any suggestions please chime in, I'm open!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts