Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious. What do you get from the long distance shooting courses that you don’t get from the (cheaper) training videos and spending the time and money just training yourself? I have year around access to my in-law’s ranch where I have plenty of wide open spaces out to a 1,000 yards. I have my groups at a 100 yards down to what you see below (5 shot group with my Remington 700 LTR .308 - normal hunting ammo). I have a ballistics app on my phone. I also have a 12 inch shooting gong. Please understand, I’m not against official training, I just want to make sure I get the best use out of my $1,200 and I would almost prefer to spend all that money practicing. Just curious. I would prefer to hear from those who have actually taken the classes. If you haven't taken the classes, that's fine, just say so.

Number Symbol Circle

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm just getting started in shooting rifles after being. pistol shooter for a while. I have a .270, a .556 AR and getting a Savage 6.5 creedmor. I hope you get some responses about training cuz I'm interested in long range shooting (1000+ yards) more so at targets versus hunting (not that I'm against hunting, just don't have any hunting experience).

Thanks

Greg

· Registered
252 Posts
It depends on what you want out of the sport. If you're happy to punch paper at 100 yards and/or bang large pieces of steel at further distances then perhaps you can "teach" yourself. To be competent at long range shooting you've got to invest time, money and work, instruction is an integral part of that.

There are many useful training aids out there, over at Snipers Hide they've got a Online training academy with many videos. If you want to really learn to shoot well you've got to get some professional instruction.

· Registered
5,231 Posts
I am a firm believer that one can become a competent long range shooter without training. If one is diligent and uncompromising in their own performance and demands true excellence then they will eventually figure out all of the nuisances of shooting.

I am also firmly convinced that one will save $1000's of dollars and tens of thousands of rounds in ammo by taking a good class.

I took the primal Rights class in South Dakota and don't regret it one bit. The sheer amount of information received saved me YEARS and tens of thousands of rounds of learning on my own. The class will give you the tools to push yourself further in this sport. It will give you the knowledge to know WHY a shot went a little high or left. It will help with building a proper and consistent firing position.

You have a decent 5 shot group...but it is not in the center of the target and I bet if you try and center it...the group will walk around on the page from group to group and day to day. Shooting 5 shot groups is great practice...but a dot drill will reveal much more about where you are in your shooting ability. 20 half inch dots on a sheet of paper. How many of them can you touch? How many of them can you center punch? How about if you stand up and lay down between each shot? What about on cold bore shots? I still don't clear the dot drill...but when I miss I know why and what I did wrong and what I need to change to get it right. The class was worth much more than one can realize before going to it. Don't hesitate. Take the class and save yourself the time and aggravation of learning all of this by trial and error on your own.

· Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I guess it depends on how good and knowledgeable a coach you are.

But if you knew it all already, would you be considering a class?
;)

You might be surprised how much you don't know if you have a chance to sit and listen to an old codger for a few hours. One 'a those guys that's been there, done that. That does not necessarily mean they have a beard and arm tattoos; it might be a grayed out chubby 70-year old with a crewcut. But that doesn't exclude the younger guys either.

Look at the resume. It should speak for itself, and I don't mean by just being filled with classes like the one you might take yourself.

-Nate

· Registered
5,231 Posts
Look at how he shoots. That is where the rubber meets the road and where true ability is revealed. Ask the instructor how he learned what he knows. Ask the instructor how many rounds per year he shoots. Ask the instructor what platforms and equipment he is familiar with. Ask if the instructor shoots during the class. If he does not...there is a reason he doesn't. If he is capable of consistently laying down behind a rifle and showing you how it is done at 1000 yards...he will. If he can't do it consistently then likely you won't see the instructor behind the rifle for the entire class...and I would want a different instructor.

· Registered
7 Posts
I am a firm believer that one can become a competent long range shooter without training. If one is diligent and uncompromising in their own performance and demands true excellence then they will eventually figure out all of the nuisances of shooting.

I am also firmly convinced that one will save $1000's of dollars and tens of thousands of rounds in ammo by taking a good class.

I took the primal Rights class in South Dakota and don't regret it one bit. The sheer amount of information received saved me YEARS and tens of thousands of rounds of learning on my own. The class will give you the tools to push yourself further in this sport. It will give you the knowledge to know WHY a shot went a little high or left. It will help with building a proper and consistent firing position.

You have a decent 5 shot group...but it is not in the center of the target and I bet if you try and center it...the group will walk around on the page from group to group and day to day. Shooting 5 shot groups is great practice...but a dot drill will reveal much more about where you are in your shooting ability. 20 half inch dots on a sheet of paper. How many of them can you touch? How many of them can you center punch? How about if you stand up and lay down between each shot? What about on cold bore shots? I still don't clear the dot drill...but when I miss I know why and what I did wrong and what I need to change to get it right. The class was worth much more than one can realize before going to it. Don't hesitate. Take the class and save yourself the time and aggravation of learning all of this by trial and error on your own.

Thanks for your thoughts. Good info there!

· Registered
800 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. Good info there!
You can definitely teach yourself. There are tons of videos and reads out there from pros.. the only real advantage I see from a good instructor is they can take you straight to the info and cut through the junk. There is a youtube series put on by a army sniper trainer, he teaches the techniques needed and the trig that is used is pretty basic (learning drop and related information that affects drop and drift. Alot of my family are southern good ole' boys and girls and never had a day of formal training but I would lay money they can out shoot 98% of army, marine snipers out there. They may not know what a mil or minute of angle is but they know down to the hair how much vertical or horizontal hold in what wind conditions will land them exactly where they want.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.