Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with Shepard scopes? I've been thinking about buying one to use for hunting, and would like to hear any info anyone here could provide.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I got to use one very breifly while attending the SWAT Sniper school I went to. It had decent optics and was fairly well built, but I wasn't a huge fan of the reticule for tactical use. It might be better for hunting though.

MEL

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've handled one or two over the years, but have never owned one.

What seems strange to me is that semi-cult following these scopes have, while having only a miniscule market share. In my opinion, if they were everything they are touted to be, we would see them more often rather than just being an oddity that might be seen once-in-a-lifetime at a public rifle range.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have looked through a Shepard scope... it had one of those automatic drop compensatoring reticle for a particular caliber... the reticle was kinda blury... and the optis werent to bright when looking through it at full power at a distant object. From the one i have messed with... they arnt anything to write home about. :?

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, guys, thanks for your comments! You have proably just saved me $700-800 dollars!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own two Shepherd Scopes a 3.5-10 and a 6-18x40

My experience has been positive. Optical quality on the two I own are at least equal to my Leupold vx-III and my Burris. I like the reticle and find it extremely easy to rapidly range and shoot accurately at distances of up to 500 meters (the limit of the range at my gun club)

At this point I have not had much experience with Mil-dots so I am not qualified to comment on which type of reticle is better.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
lonewolf said:
OK, guys, thanks for your comments! You have proably just saved me $700-800 dollars!
Buy a Leupold from Mel instead.

-snowy

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree...spend the money on a good Loopy.

One thing about scopes in general though. I've noticed people talking about the optical quality of differing brands, and it reminds me of having to be a Irish Setter to hear the difference of a really good stereo versus a really GREAT stereo. While I agree that a good Leupold or Zeiss or US Optics is hard to beat, the cheaper Nikons, Bushnells and Hakkos offer stunningly good optical quality for the money.

When I look through my Loopy Vari-X III, Ultra, and Tactical LR M1 and then a SWFA Super Sniper (made by Hakko under the old "Tasco" brand name)....I have to give the scope costing 75% less it's due credit. I love my Leupolds, but the sight picture AIN'T four times better!

Ruggeness, repeatablility, reliability and other factors is where the extra money goes in the higher end scopes of course, but for a recreational rig that you aren't gonna' bet your life or an expensive hunting expedition on.....a $300 or $400 scope will do fine.

Decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have looked through many many many different brand and model scopes... and if i have ever learned anything... as far as picture clarity goes... it doesnt matter if you are only looking at somthing a hundred or so hards away. But when you start looking at targets that are a thousand... if not thousand's of yards away... you can DEFINITLY tell the difference. The best i have seen so far is the US Optics Ultra-Resolution lens's. If your target is a few thousand yards away... that is the scope you want... if your target is one to two hundred yards away... then still buy the Leupold / US Optics scope for its incredible reliability and flawless functioning.

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
... it doesnt matter if you are only looking at somthing a hundred or so yards away. But when you start looking at targets that are a thousand... if not thousand's of yards away... you can DEFINITLY tell the difference.

BC
I must admit I haven't tried the mid-level scopes at the 1K range we have here north of Reno Nevada. Something to think about...and now I feel better about spending the "big-cash" over the years! :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts