Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the EXACT things I need to do to ship a rifle. Can I ship it straight UPS, or do I need to send it through a local gun shop?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The only thing you have to do is let them know it's a gun make sure it's unloaded and you have to ship it ground. I would make sure it's in a secure box can never trust those shipping people.

This last Christmas I went to the UPS building to pick up my scope so I wouldn't have to wait another 3 days, it was the 24th and they get a couple of days off. As I was waiting for them to find my package a jam started to form on the conveyor belt and boxes started to fall off, about a 5 foot drop. All the UPS people just sat around tables talking to each other and even some of them jumped over the boxes to go where ever they were going. I just kept thinking, my scope better not be in one of those boxes.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what if its going to hawaii, ground isnt an option.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried today, until I remembered it was labor day. :p I will tom, and thanks.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Rec, what do you know about actually shipping the gun, laws etc.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking UPS or FedEx, never done this before so it is all new.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Go the the UPS and/or the Fed-X Web pages. they both contain the tariff (or rules for shipping firearms). Fed-X no longer ships pistols of any kind. Genearlly they say you need to ship FFL to FFL, unless local, state, and federal law permit otherwise. It is easier, but more expensive to ship from an FFL.

In Texas, I can ship any rifle that I own to anyone I want - its ok. In your state you need to verify the legality of shipping to a non-FFl from a non-FFL.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh yeah. No one allows you to ship ammo with the firearm. or to ship a loaded firearm.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
APK-223 said:
what if its going to hawaii, ground isnt an option.
Funny you ask, it is actualy in the UPS computer as ground shipping. But I will warn you-----------it cost me $58 to ship a mini 30 to Hawaii about 3-4 weeks ago. If you do not mind please send me a PM and I will talk to you about it, need to see if it is the same buyer :shock: .

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Also:

As Jeff said - check your local laws. As for GA as long as you have a SIGNED copy of the FFL of where the rifle is going you are good. The box you ship the rifle in must be covered, per the ATF regs you can not ship the rifle in the factory box without wraping the box - in other words it does not need to say "BUSHMASTER" in big letters across the box. The little fella at UPS got to know me good for a little while. I sold 4 rifles and a shotgun on AR15.com in the last two months.

You can ship via USPS and not be a FFL - it just has to go to a FFL (still need a signed copy). The way I understand it the bolt is all that needs to be removed "the firearm must be in a non firing state".

Please do send me a PM about it going to Hawaii!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts