Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite shooting position that gives you the most repeatable accuracy?
I prefer the prone position with a bipod and rear squeeze bag.

· Premium Member
1,656 Posts
I like prone off a bipod. Recently bought my first rear bag, pretty excited to see how that turns out

· Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I like the keyboard computer position. I've never shot over .25 MOA on the internets. LOL

Really prone with a bi-pod and sling is great. I got a shooting mat that I need to break in come to think of it.

· Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I like best the position that gets me a hit on my target.

Working upward from prone opens my groups from the 0.1-to-1 Minute range through 2-4 MOA standing unsupported. I shoot from most every position in the field that I need to attain the above goal.

Kneeling is crappy. I can, and have, made some good fast hits from a jog in kneeling, but I didn't like it and I didn't have any other option or I would have taken it happily.

-Nate

· Registered
27 Posts
Prone, bipod and rear bag.
I have a new problem though. My long range rifle is a Tikka varmint .308 in a XLR Chassis.
In my search for better shooting ammo at 600 - 1000 yds, and help holding a better group in the wind I loaded some 175 SMK an 178 A-MAX. My go to load uses 155 Lapua Scenar.
Anyway, With these heavier bullets, the rifle torques over to the right. Not coming off target, but (if this makes sense) almost seems like it want's to turn over. I'm running a Harris bipod with the cant and a bubble level on the scope rail. After each shot the bubble is full left. The only solution I have thought of is switching to a solid bipod. A brake would probably help, but I can't run on in F-Class.
Any suggestions?

· Premium Member
5,061 Posts
Kansas, that's barrel torque. It is surprising you have not noticed it with the 155's already, but the longer bearing surface of the heavier rounds does increase that torque effect to some extent.

Anybody running a swivel bipod, or shooting off bags, has to do this correction after their shots. It's normal to have this unless you are actually HOLDING the rifle to prevent it, are shooting from a stable solid bipod, or are shooting a wide forend off a mechanical front rest, as in BR. (That's also the reason why they have offset stocks in BR.) I recommend you either get a proper F-Class bipod, or put up with it and continue running the bubble level at the expense of extra time in getting rounds down range.

This is a little off-topic, but the barrel torque on pistols is some of the reason why the British and other European manufacturers historically used left-twist barrels: More shooters are right handed than left. A right twist barrel like WE use pushes the firearm AWAY from your control/strong hand on recoil, and in single-hand use, torques the pistol out of your grip. A left twist barrel does the opposite, and is good for all the right reasons.

The right twist on a rifle is a good thing...a support hand on the forend like a rifle was meant to be shot means the rifle torques over to the left, directly into the meat of the palm of a controlling force. The Brits got that one wrong...guess that's why we shoot rifles better than they do. :D

-Nate

· Registered
27 Posts
Yes, Nate. I am familiar with the torque created when a round is fired through a rifle (or a pistol, for that matter). I guess I was suprised at how much more it is noticed when a person goes to a heavier projectile.
You are correct, I should go to a proper F-Class bipod, it's just that I laid so much grief on my buddies for doing that, that I'm gonna' have to eat a lot of crow when I do! :D
Thank you for your advice, and I'm sure I'll have other issues that you can help set me straight with.

Sam

· Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Kansas, that's barrel torque. It is surprising you have not noticed it with the 155's already, but the longer bearing surface of the heavier rounds does increase that torque effect to some extent.

Anybody running a swivel bipod, or shooting off bags, has to do this correction after their shots. It's normal to have this unless you are actually HOLDING the rifle to prevent it, are shooting from a stable solid bipod, or are shooting a wide forend off a mechanical front rest, as in BR. (That's also the reason why they have offset stocks in BR.) I recommend you either get a proper F-Class bipod, or put up with it and continue running the bubble level at the expense of extra time in getting rounds down range.

This is a little off-topic, but the barrel torque on pistols is some of the reason why the British and other European manufacturers historically used left-twist barrels: More shooters are right handed than left. A right twist barrel like WE use pushes the firearm AWAY from your control/strong hand on recoil, and in single-hand use, torques the pistol out of your grip. A left twist barrel does the opposite, and is good for all the right reasons.

The right twist on a rifle is a good thing...a support hand on the forend like a rifle was meant to be shot means the rifle torques over to the left, directly into the meat of the palm of a controlling force. The Brits got that one wrong...guess that's why we shoot rifles better than they do. :D

-Nate
You going there Nate?

· Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I should go to a proper F-Class bipod, it's just that I laid so much grief on my buddies for doing that, that I'm gonna' have to eat a lot of crow when I do!
Well, that does happen to even the best from time to time!

I hate the look of the things, but I tell ya, from a shooting perspective there's no doubt that they function spectacularly.

-Nate

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.