Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think I am doing something wrong. Everytime I shoot my 700p 308 the forgrip jumps off the front bag like there is a hinge on my shoulder when I shoot from the bench. I watch others shoot and they don't seem to have the problem. I loosened up a little and it felt like the gun was going to run off with my shoulder. I have been shooting 12 guage shotguns (trap shooting) since I was 8. I have no poblem with them in matter of fact after shooting a 200 round ATA event my shoulder doesn't bother me yet I shoot 20 rounds from my 308 and I am flinching towards the end. I realized the stock recoil pad on a 700p is about worthless as they get. Would that make a difference? I have thought about having HS Precision install one of there mercury recoil reducers but am not sure. Any thought/help is much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
What kind of ammo are you using? Those 700P's have if I remeber correctly a 24 inch bull barrell. The only thing that I can think of that would do that would be shooting some really heavy grain bullets.

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

Could be a lot of things.....have another shooter look at you while you shoot....or take a picture and see how you brace the butt on your shoulder. I feel more comfortable prone with a 700p HS stock then I do benched and bagged. Just depends on the shooter. A good stock might help you a bunch....a cheap little recoil pad might do the trick. I wouldn't recommend going as far as a muzzle break for a .308 but have seen it done before.

Practice different types of form.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
how many rounds have you fired through it
you should just simply et used to it
mine is in .308 too, the first time i fired 200 some odd rounds throuhg it and felt it in my shoulder
now i can shoot it all day and have absolutely no problem
its just something you get used to
if youve only fired it a few times take it out another time and another time after that
if it doesnt get any better try getting another recoil pad
also try shooting in diffent positions too

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This may sound silly, but go pick up a crappy 22LR and try firing it in the same position. IF your still jerking them, it could be that your jerking the trigger or not braced enough. IF your not , then it could be that your anticipating the recoil of the .308 and tensing your body.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would recommend staying away from a mercury recoil reducer just based on the haz-mat implications of having it around.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All my trap shotguns have had them in there for years with no problems. I think I am going to go out and try shooting prone. For some reason bench shooting does it to me. I remember shooting offhand with no problems so maybe it is my body position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts