Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since all i've really ever done was shoot off hand and off tables and sandbags, id really like to know the shooting techniques for all the postions. off-hand (yea...iam not really good at that...), crouching, sitting, prone, ect.

Also trigger pull, i understand you have to be slow and apply pressure slowly, but is there anything else?

Thanks!

StealTh

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
It is impossable to really describe the shooting positions on line, however I recommend a couple of books. On is by David Tubb called highpower shooting. The other is the US Army Target Interdiction Course manual.

http://www.snipercentral.com/books.htm

As for trigger control the standard way is to take 3 deep breathes and hold the last one. Then squeez the trigger. The gun going off, ie trigger break is a surprise.

One that I was taught and actually prefer when shooting standing takes a lot more practice. You take 3 deep breaths, as you look through your sights the front sight will move up when you inhale and down when you exhale. The key to this is to know EXACTLY when your trigger will break. As you exhale and your sight is moving down, just before you get the sightpicture you want you start to take up slacke on the trigger. As your sights com on target you pull the trigger, WITHOUT JERKING IT. Keep breathing, but also keep your follow through with your rifle. For the next shot just keep breathing and pulling the trigger.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The first way is much easier to master and easier to shoot good groups when shooting off a rest. The disadvantge is in long strings of fire you get tired faster, remember you are holding your breath a lot, thus depriving your muscles of oxygen at the same time using them to shoot with

The second way advantages are that you don't get as tired as qitckley. Also I tend to shoot better from standing or sitting using this system. The big disadvantage is it is harder to master and you really need to know where your trigger breaks. Hopefully you are not more confused now than you were.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used to shoot 10m match air rifle standing and this is how I was taught:

Shoulder the rifle and get into your usual normal comfortable shooting position. Take 3 slow deep breaths, then on the fourth let 1/2 out and hold. The oscillation of the site on the target will slow down after a second or two. As the oscillations are slowing, take second pressure and hold, then if you're right on target, squeeze. If you're not right on, or you take too long, the oscilations will start back up again and very soon your arms will tire and your eyes will go blurry. Never force the shot because it will rarely ever be on target. When you know you can't take a shot, relax, take your finger off the trigger, rest the gun on the table and relax, taking deep breaths to get the blood flowing then start over with the whole process.

I imagine the constant breathing method is probably good for a tactical/hunting scenario where you may have to hold the rifle up a lot longer before you are ready to take a shot.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Read the Army FM on sniping. It has good details on shooting positions and I use them.

Trigger controll. I put my thumb on the stock weld, my finger on the guard and slowly pull. But first remember breathing. Inhale, exhale, hold then shoot. You want your muscles not to move and throw you off. Thats how I do it.

BRASS

Breathe
Relaxe
Aim
Squeeze
Shoot

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
pittbug said:
I
I imagine the constant breathing method is probably good for a tactical/hunting scenario where you may have to hold the rifle up a lot longer before you are ready to take a shot.
Actually the way you were tought is the most accepted method and easiest to learn, but yea for long strings the constant breathing is a help. I think a lot of it has to do with what works for you. I usually use the same tenique as you whan shooting off a rest. Intrestly enough David Tubb uses a tenique very similar to the constant breathing way and has won many many events. I am not saying you should shoot like this, but he just asked about altunate methods.

My father first tought me how to shoot when I was about 4-5 yrs old, and constanly breathing was how I was tought. BTW in his 3 years in the Army as a tanker, he was on the rifle shooting team for his unit, (M1 Garand) small bore rifle, .45 pistol, and small bore pistol. This was NOT the US Army shooting team, but each Bn (I think) had shooting teams that competed and shooters would work their way up and try out as they progressed over the years. In fact my Uncle that retired from the Army in 1980 or so missed being on the US Army team by just 1-2 points at one time. I am not trying to bragg, but pointing out that this is a legitmit way to shoot and I learned from someone that knew how to shoot. I have gotten lots of flack from shooters when I mention this style since they know better. After all they learnd in the military so they know better. Not to start a service war the Marines seemed the most vehmint lot about how wrong I was. I usually don't mention this style to anyone unless they asked I have gotten so much crap over it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think ive actually already got that sniper FM downloaded somewhere on my computer...if not i beleive snipers paradise has it, so ill look there

Thanks so far guys! keep them coming!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts