Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes in the future I am looking to build from scratch, an M4 Carbine to SOPMOD configuration without the auto sear of coarse. In order to do this, I would want to have a 14.5 in barell on the upper reciever. I know that 16 inch barells are legal for civilian purchases without a short barelled rifle license, but how is this process done, how long would it take, and how much would it cost?? Floor is all yours.

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah man, referring to a 14.5 inch barell.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't know the exact amount of time it takes to get your sbr application approved, but it will cost you $200. I think it is a few months, but I am sure someone else here can give you a better idea. You can of course just put a flash suppressor on it and either pin or solder it in place, then you can skip the SBR route. Of course if you were planning on getting a sound suppressor for it in the future, that combo would obviously not work very well.

John

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
200 dollars? Last i checked it would only be a 5 dollar tax stamp, unless im thinking of the serbu which falls under the AOW stamp.

Someone shed some light on me here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just get the Phantom Flash Suppressor, and weld it on with silver solder, and it will bring it up to legal length. Of course SOPMOD M4's don't have Phantoms, but hey, it'll save you 200 bucks :)

IIRC the normal setup is 15.5 inches. What a B*#$&.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If i remember correctly, a short barrel carbine is a class 3 weapon regardless of it being full auto or not. It is a $200 transfer fee plus the money for the paper work and licensing and should take at least a few months. If your going to get your class 3 tax stamp for a short barrel carbine you might as well pay $200 more and get the auto sear. The paper work and background check for the short barrel is the same as the paper work and background check for an auto sear i beleive.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
American Rifleman said:
If your going to get your class 3 tax stamp for a short barrel carbine you might as well pay $200 more and get the auto sear. The paper work and background check for the short barrel is the same as the paper work and background check for an auto sear i beleive.
The background check is the same, but wouldn't that be qualified as making a new full auto firearm which is very illegal? I thought you had to have a firearm that was made/imported prior to 86 or something like that. I haven't kept up too much on this topic as I live in a state that won't let me have an AOW,SBR,Full Auto, or a Silencer. Damn you Chicago, and your liberal influences!

John

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
May I make a suggestion?

You can make a very close replica of an M4 without having to go the SBR route.

Here's what you might want to do:

Contact Legal Transfers in New Hampshire and order a chrome lined Rock River Arms 15" M4 barrel with a permanently attached A2 suppressor.

This barrel is exactly 16" overall and it is the absolute minimum legal length. It is exactly half and inch longer than a real M4 barrel with threaded on suppressor.

The RRA barrel has the M4 step and unless you compared it side by side with a 14.5" bbl, you would never know the difference.

Mad

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mad, so the RRA barell is 15 inches, and then 16 inches when it permanentyl gets the flash supressor installed. If so, I might just do that, with what ya'all have been telling me, this sounds like quite a hassel for a 14.5 inch barell.

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
565 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with a 16" upper? I have an Oly 16" milspec A3 upper and absolutely love it. I did originally want a 14,5" - but a friend convinced me to get a 16" as the extra 1,5" didn't matter much for phyiscal appearance - but the extra muzzle velocity and accuracy meant it could very well produce really tight groups.

I'm really excited to see what it does with the RAS II... it's supposed to improve accuracy a bit - which says a lot considering what it was doing with the plastic hand guard..

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have a 16" upper on my RRA carbine. I got it with a midlength gas system and free float quad rail though. Because of this there is no bayonet lug as there is not enough room to attach one It is a great firearm.

John

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mad,

Ya know, looking at that, that may just work!!! Thanks alot, this project will not be anytime soon, but i wanted to look around and see what was available. My post ban Colt M4 is giving me some tight as groups and at night it looks cool with the orange flash coming from the compensator. Granted that would screw up a persons night vision,bit oh well. If RRA will continue seling these, I will snatch one up and go from there. The $200 is out of the question as i have not even reached my 19th birthday yet. Thanks for all of the inmput guys. If ya wanna keep em rolling in, knock yourself out.

Respectfully,
Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That RRA bbl was made by the RRA Custom Shop for Legal Transfers.

You could probably also have something similar made if they become hard to get.

Mad

·
Registered
565 Posts
It wasn't quite meant like that, Recoil :mrgreen: I used to lead an entry team in the airforce when I was a NCO so I'm familiar with that aspect :wink: We were always teased by new guys on the base for using MP5s instead of the mighty doom-rifle called G3...but whenever we were training against them they seemed to get the message. Those were the days.....

But few of us plinkers need to worry about that, hence the "what's wrong with..." :wink:

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you want it for the "cool factor", Bushmaster sells 11.5" barrels with a 5.5" "permanitly" attached CAR15 style flash supressor which makes it legal. Something to keep in mind though, the shorter the barrel, the louder it will be.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Bushmaster also sells the XM177 that Rifleman was talking about. They also sell the complete kit for it, minus the receiver. You can also get the kits from them for most of their rifles/carbines. This is a cheaper route to go if you want to build your own. Just make sure that you silver solder the muzzle brake on first, so you don't run any risk of getting into trouble.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts