Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking info for a short barrel build cartridge between 223 and 308 in a 16” to 18” barrel , I have read much valuable info here but things are changing fast. I am not loading my own ammo yet, but ....

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are a few good articles out there a out the effects of barrel length on velocity, accuracy, and precision. Seek them llout and research for yourself. IIRC for .308 18 is about where shorter starts producing negative effects on accuracy and precision, and 24 is where longer no loner has a positive effect on velocity for most standard loadings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you want something fun, cheep to shoot (& build) that hits steel and beasties hard I'd build a 7.62 x 39. Get your gunsmith to rechamber a salvaged 308" barrel, preferably with a 10 inch twist. A 308 boltface will chamber and extract but may not eject, or open up a 223. Shoot mill surp or handload with good 308 bullets. It's what I did or just get a ready made ruger?

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Barrel length has almost no effect on accuracy or precision. If anything the shorter barrels have a slight edge due to less flex.

Now, shorter barrels do have a great effect on velocity. Some cartridges more than others. Same goes for long barrels...and 24” isn’t even close to the end of the gains. 30” is about as long as is practical and velocities are still going up in most cartridges at 30”.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want something fun, cheep to shoot (& build) that hits steel and beasties hard I'd build a 7.62 x 39. Get your gunsmith to rechamber a salvaged 308" barrel, preferably with a 10 inch twist. A 308 boltface will chamber and extract but may not eject, or open up a 223. Shoot mill surp or handload with good 308 bullets. It's what I did or just get a ready made ruger?
Great Idea! Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts