Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first match back in March I came in 11th out of about 30 shooters. Today I tied for 1st out of about 20. Four people tied for 1st. he stages were timed, so as a tie breaker they went back and added how much time was left by each shooter at each stage. The guy that used the least amount of time got 1st and so on. The other three shooters all had rifles with magizines, I on the other hand, hand load each round seperatly for each shot, so it was no surprise that I came in 4th after the times were added up.

But I'm still very happy with my overall results, considering I have not fired a single shot since my last match.

·
Registered
683 Posts
my first match back in March I came in 11th out of about 30 shooters. Today I tied for 1st out of about 20. Four people tied for 1st. he stages were timed, so as a tie breaker they went back and added how much time was left by each shooter at each stage. The guy that used the least amount of time got 1st and so on. The other three shooters all had rifles with magizines, I on the other hand, hand load each round seperatly for each shot, so it was no surprise that I came in 4th after the times were added up.

But I'm still very happy with my overall results, considering I have not fired a single shot since my last match.
I would say that is a very respectable finish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

Very respectable son.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't mind you calling me son, but just know im 57.
Got one year on you. Moving around that much is usually a young mans game, at least the PRS shoots I've seen down here. Stages in the shoots I've seen and participated in required moving around fast just to get the regulation shots off. I never did.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We're all old, guys. I stopped counting when my total allocation of bodily digits was exceeded by my age.

Also, good work. The thing that takes good shooters and makes them into great shooters is doing it when someone's keeping track of points.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having a new rifle built as we speak thats going to have a detachable magazine. So maybe next time I'll have time on my side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Green
Do you have a FFP scope with a tree reticle? If you did 11 out of 30 you probably do.
Nope 2nd FP, But does have a tree ret. .....That is something else I'm going to practice on. One of the snipers there I noticed was going from the 400yd target to the 600yd target without dialing his dope. He said he just used his ret for the vertical adjustment. So next time I'm at the range that is something I'm definitely going to work on. On 24X my scope reads in MOA. that is where I always have it anyway, so might as well learn to use the ret. for those situations.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Nope 2nd FP, But does have a tree ret. .....That is something else I'm going to practice on. One of the snipers there I noticed was going from the 400yd target to the 600yd target without dialing his dope. He said he just used his ret for the vertical adjustment. So next time I'm at the range that is something I'm definitely going to work on. On 24X my scope reads in MOA. that is where I always have it anyway, so might as well learn to use the ret. for those situations.
The advantage of a FFP scope is that the mil or MOA values of the reticle stay the same regardless of the magnification. A SFP scope, if it has some form of elevation reticle, has to be on a factory determined magnification setting in order for the mil or MOA values to be correct. Usually this fixed setting is at the higher end of the magnification range of the scope. This can be a problem if you have mirage in your AO as the higher the magnification the worse visible mirage seems to appear.

Take a look at the Vortex EBR 2C MRAD reticle. I really like that reticle for PRS shoots. I have two Vortex scopes with it in them. 1 Gen II Razor 4.5 X 27 and a Gen II Viper PST 5 X25. There are other trees out there I just happen to like this one.

I saw one or two guys dial elevation here at the PRS shoots and they didn't place well. I recall one guy was feverously cranking up and down atop a simulated roof top. I think the stage was at 400 and 600 yard targets alternating back and forth two shots at each target for a total of 8 shots in 90 seconds. I know for certain he did not shoot all 8. He did not shoot all the regulation shots in any of the stages.

My first go round at a PRS shoot was with a factory 700P (no external Mag) and I quickly realized that if you didn't have a 10 round mag., I was at a big disadvantage. One other thing I noticed at the shoots I attended is that most of the guys spoke elevation and wind in Mils suggesting that they had Mil scopes so when I upgraded scopes, I went with MIL MIL.

The gun shop that sponsored the PRS shoots in my areal moved to Georgia so we don't have them anymore at my 1000yd range. I placed in the mid to upper 20's out of 40 shooters. My hit ratios were fair but it took me longer to get set up so I too didn't finish all the shots allowed in regulation fire. I don't believe the short fall was the equipment, it was me. BTW my rifle was between .5 and .7MOA unless I goofed my part.

I thought I'd give you some insight as to what I observed at the shoots I participated in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The advantage of a FFP scope is that the mil or MOA values of the reticle stay the same regardless of the magnification. A SFP scope, if it has some form of elevation reticle, has to be on a factory determined magnification setting in order for the mil or MOA values to be correct. Usually this fixed setting is at the higher end of the magnification range of the scope. This can be a problem if you have mirage in your AO as the higher the magnification the worse visible mirage seems to appear.

Take a look at the Vortex EBR 2C MRAD reticle. I really like that reticle for PRS shoots. I have two Vortex scopes with it in them. 1 Gen II Razor 4.5 X 27 and a Gen II Viper PST 5 X25. There are other trees out there I just happen to like this one.

I saw one or two guys dial elevation here at the PRS shoots and they didn't place well. I recall one guy was feverously cranking up and down atop a simulated roof top. I think the stage was at 400 and 600 yard targets alternating back and forth two shots at each target for a total of 8 shots in 90 seconds. I know for certain he did not shoot all 8. He did not shoot all the regulation shots in any of the stages.

My first go round at a PRS shoot was with a factory 700P (no external Mag) and I quickly realized that if you didn't have a 10 round mag., I was at a big disadvantage. One other thing I noticed at the shoots I attended is that most of the guys spoke elevation and wind in Mils suggesting that they had Mil scopes so when I upgraded scopes, I went with MIL MIL.

The gun shop that sponsored the PRS shoots in my areal moved to Georgia so we don't have them anymore at my 1000yd range. I placed in the mid to upper 20's out of 40 shooters. My hit ratios were fair but it took me longer to get set up so I too didn't finish all the shots allowed in regulation fire. I don't believe the short fall was the equipment, it was me. BTW my rifle was between .5 and .7MOA unless I goofed my part.

I thought I'd give you some insight as to what I observed at the shoots I participated in.
Hi "Martino1". I too started out in PRS Comp's with a Remi 700 Varmint styled rifle (mine was in .223 cal with home-loads) and quickly found that even if I managed to cram 7 rounds in the nominal 5 round internal magazine, I had a distinct disadvantage when considered against those more experienced shooters with External Mag' fed rifles. Needing to stuff another 3 rounds into the mag' of my otherwise Excellent Rifle penalised me heavily for time, and even with my often more accurate shooting (than some of the competitors) I still regularly missed out on the top positions at the end of the day cos of this functional problem. The chamber mouth configuration of my Rem700 HBVS rifle just will NOT allow me to throw in rounds one at a time cos the bullet tips get caught up on the bolt locking cut-outs at the chamber mouth!! Damned annoying (and I am being polite here)!!...

As long as the weather wasn't too blustery I could regularly match many of the other 'combatants' for accuracy with that old 12 twist, .223 chambering using my 64gr Berger Match FB bullet loads, but that internal magazine was crippling to getting on the Podium... Yet those projectiles shot really accurately for me easily out to 800yds on still or constant wind days.

Unlike you though My scope preference is for MOA/MOA as the targets are in MOA rings and I can visualise inches more readily being definitely in the erm.... "Older" Generation...even older than you my friend.... Ha!
Kind Regards,
Blobbs.....

ATB ..... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I participated in trap shooting because I felt it best simulated hunting birds that I hunted like dove and quail. Again this is my opinion. Nothing against skeet shooters but birds I mentioned generally tended to fly away from me unless we're talking about migratory birds that might be way up there. Even they give you a wide birth if the notice you.

I participated in PRS style shoots which clearing encourages rapid target engagement which at times under hunting conditions can be a real benefit based on my experience deer hunting. Once gun season is open, deer know the game is afoot and they don't give you a very long look at them if they are moving during daylight hours. Well getting on them quickly can be a real plus IMHO. One of the things I started practicing for meets and for hunting was figuring how I was going to get a good supported rifle position and quickly and practice that before it gets real. This kind of practice is helpful if the deer came into view from different observable entry points I know that sounds a little nuts but practicing getting into position if game presents itself from different entry points has helped me a good bit. I took a little teasing at first when some guys saw me doing that but it stopped after their deer had to be tracked if they hit it at all and mine dropped on the spot.. That's my .02..

·
Registered
683 Posts
I participated in trap shooting because I felt it best simulated hunting birds that I hunted like dove and quail. Again this is my opinion. Nothing against skeet shooters but birds I mentioned generally tended to fly away from me unless we're talking about migratory birds that might be way up there. Even they give you a wide birth if the notice you.

I participated in PRS style shoots which clearing encourages rapid target engagement which at times under hunting conditions can be a real benefit based on my experience deer hunting. Once gun season is open, deer know the game is afoot and they don't give you a very long look at them if they are moving during daylight hours. Well getting on them quickly can be a real plus IMHO. One of the things I started practicing for meets and for hunting was figuring how I was going to get a good supported rifle position and quickly and practice that before it gets real. This kind of practice is helpful if the deer came into view from different observable entry points I know that sounds a little nuts but practicing getting into position if game presents itself from different entry points has helped me a good bit. I took a little teasing at first when some guys saw me doing that but it stopped after their deer had to be tracked if they hit it at all and mine dropped on the spot.. That's my .02..
I don't think ill get to hog or deer hunt this year. Both are something I've had a growing desire to try but don't think it will happen this year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Just remember after that 1/10000 of a second, the work starts.. If you have a restaurant depot near you a bus boy dish tray is great for putting the bone in quarters in the fridge to let the blood drain for a day or two till you get around to deboning and processing. That’s for up to a 120-140 live weight deer. Any bigger get 2 BB trays.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just remember after that 1/10000 of a second, the work starts.. If you have a restaurant depot near you a bus boy dish tray is great for putting the bone in quarters in the fridge to let the blood drain for a day or two till you get around to deboning and processing. That’s for up to a 120-140 live weight deer. Any bigger get 2 BB trays.
Yeah, don't think ill have the finances for any hunting this year :(

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yeah, don't think ill have the finances for any hunting this year :(

All the land around you $ should not be an issue. You already have the firearms. Resident licenses are usually cheap. But you know better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts