Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im thinking of a new shotgun just for trap shooting. Was looking at a new Remington 870 Wingmaster and 1100 Classic Trap model, 30" bbl, nice wood, looks a lot nicer than my Mossberg 500 with a 28" bbl im currently using for trap. Can hit clay targets all day long but I wouldnt mind getting a higher end shotgun now too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've never had any problems hitting trap with my Winchester 1300...economical/cheap and VERY reliable...you can throw dirt in the action and it still works perfectly! (don't do that though!!) so if you're just looking for a good trap gun go with that unless you are looking for something fancy.

-BS

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I personally use a Browning Citori (O/U) and absolutely love it. I think if I wasn't going with an O/U, I would probably get a semi-auto instead.

John

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I say pump action (or lever action perhaps?), as I was under the impression that semi's can have problems with some ammunition.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Some of them need you to reconfig the gas system to switch between lighter 2 3/4 and 3 inch magnum loads. Some of them are good to go for everything though. I don't know too much about the semi's. I've always been a pump fan and an U/O snob. For some reason the U/O just feels more natual to me.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a good autoloader chambered for 2 3/4" will load up all 2 3/4" shells... an autoloader magnum that is chambered for 3 1/2" shells might have some problems with 2 3/4" light loads

autoloaders have some advantages like rapid 2nd shot, a little less recoil - 12 ga 2 3/4" isnt bad at all though

·
Registered
263 Posts
Semi-autos can be finicky about ejecting/reloading if the ammo you're using doesn't have enough poop.
ABSOLUTELY! Even Saiga 12K jams with paper-cased 12G :wink:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
certainately keeping my options open, looking at everything cause im not sure exactly when im going to buy

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
If it is just for trap shooting get the one that feels the best to you. Also look at some o/u I think there are a couple of affordable ones on the market. Pump, auto or O/U will be fine for trap, how it fits you is the most important.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
havnt seen a 'cheaper' over under or else i would definitely consider one... they seem to be very well balanced for me when ive used them

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Ever considered side by side?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i prefer over under
of course there the same thing, nothing technical about it just personal preference

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
havnt seen a 'cheaper' over under or else i would definitely consider one... they seem to be very well balanced for me when ive used them
Someone imports one that has good reviews for about $3-400 I think. It may be a bakil from russia. I looked at one and it seemed well balanced. I read a review some place, I think american rifleman, and they had good things to say. Is it as good as a $3000 binelli, no, but for the price it was very good, accurate and reliable. I will look around and see if I can find out.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i have used both pumps and semis for military and hunting purposes... and i will never leave my 870 express behind, that pump will put the rounds down range with a vengance. although maybe i am a little on the green side with my appreciation of a good remington 700 and 870, lol.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Jeff, here's a link to a "Cost Effective" O/U.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/condor.tpl

a friend of mine owns 2 of these. one in 12 gauge and one in 20 guage. he loves them to death. i shot is 12 guage once and there was something about it that i didn't like. not sure what it was anymore (i THINK it was that the LOP was slightly long with the recoil pad that he had on it). anyways, if you wanted a budget O/U this is the one for you :D

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
+1 to Brian.Phinney

I never tried the Baikal, although like Eka I read good stuff. I like my Condor very much though. Mine is plain jane, they had two other grades as shown in the link, one has a silver reciever, and the Condor Deluxe has a better stock, barrel selector, and auto ejectors. My bottom of the pack Condor works just fine though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts