Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...a few weeks ago I put 200 rounds through my mosin over the course of 2 days...and my shoulder is still killing me...it's not like a tender feeling in the meat but like...the joint is all "effed" up... I can barely move it without it hurting. I'm assuming the pain is rifle related and it's been getting 100% better but I want to avoid this in the future...any suggestions?

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I bet you were firing the Model 44 carbine.

This is a thoroughly unpleasant thing to shoot with full house loads.

Three suggestions:

1. Handload some reduced power loads. You can even load 7.62x54 R ammo using 120 grain .311" bullets for the SKS. This turns the rifle into a sweet shooting piece.

2. Put a slip on rubber buttpad over the stock;

3. Buy a PAST recoil guard that slips over your shoulder.

Mad

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I know your pain, I have had five shoulder surgeries(four reconstructions since 1998) and my shoulder takes a beating from my rifle shooting. I shoot a 1903A3 with full power loads in a straight stock, it's a killer. I have found that just making sure you have good position onthe stock when firing made the most difference for me. I have not used any pads, and most often I shoot in a T- Shirt or Sweat Shirt. Just be careful of where you have the butt sitting on your shoulder. I try to put it right in the crotch formed by your pec and delts where they join on the front of your shoulder, it gives a good meat pad to the joint.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
This is not sound marksmanship, but I find when I use magnum rifles I use a little more of my bicep than my shoulder.

When prone, make sure your body is in a straight line behind that rifle. Don't leave your shoulder out to dry if you know what I mean.

Getting rid of that metal butt plate and installing a Pachmayr pad might be a good idea.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's actually the 91/30... I will try a slip on butt pad type thing. thanks for the advice guys!

another question...i'm having one hell of a time finding 7.62x54 reloading kits and supplies! any good sources you can offer me on where to buy??

-Brian Shields

1 - 6 of 6 Posts