Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welli went and got my orders to pick up a spiffy new Sig P229 Elite. I originally wanted it in .40 but they didnt have that and with the wait and Larry (Mac) unable to get one i had to bite the bullet and get what was available.

So i ofcourse had to go out and play with a new item just like everyone else so i headed out with a friend a couple miles out of town and found a decent place.

Well i only used some 115gr rounds for starters. The initial feel and look of quality was outstanding. It definately is a well made piece of equipment! I am glad i chose that, the only thing i plan on changing is the hand grips as they are a bit thicker then the normal ones which causes a bit of an issue with the mag release.

I took it out and paced off approx 15 and 25 meters for firing. Now i havent fired a handgun in years so dont get to judgemental with the shitty groups, but overall i was pleased with how i did for the first time shooting this weapon and how long its been since i fired a handgun period!

This one and the one above is 15 meters... my first 10 round mag is there... my friend covered most of the first holes up while i was getting the cam set up and so i had to do another round which you see.

Here is a pic of my 25 meter range. Atleast we can tell that im not pulling the trigger and actually squeezing lol... just need to work on my breathing a bit and the ability to keep the weapon stable. I think me being excited as **** and having drink a **** load of soda prior to firing kinda added to it!

While i had it down a bit cleaning it.

And another pic with it all nice and clean!

Well thats it for now ill give more once i get more time and ill add to these when i get my other weapons while on leave!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
nice buy. people can say all they want about sigs costing more than other handguns but everyone I know was always happy they paid the bit extra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shooting a pistol is much different than shooting a scoped rifle. Pistols are under powered compared to a rifle and will probably require more than one shot to stop an evil person. It takes perfect continous practice to be proficient with a pistol. With these things in mind you shouldn't do the cup and saucer hold use either the weaver or thumbs forward, much better recoil control. This guy is big on Sigs and offers extended controls as does Sig but I think his are probably a better length http://www.grayguns.com/ Good luck I'm sure you will enjoy the pistol for many years.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
LOL, you "settled" for a P229 Elite. You got a good deal on an outstanding pistol, you deserve it! Congrats, welcome home and thanks for your service!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Glad to see you home safe Psycho. And again, congratulations on a TOD well done.

And let us welcome our newest member to SC's Sigaholics Omnibus.

In the name of The SIG, The Sauer, and the most revered P229 Elite... I dub thee "PsychoSig."

I am absolutely in love with my SIG P229 Elite Stainless. When double or triple tapping the 9mm is smooth and rock steady.

I have already let the mods commence. I actually found one of the 106 mm "Canadian legal" barrels. These are about 5/8" longer than the 3.9" stock barrel as 106 mm is the legal minimum in Canada. The extended barrel should be no problem in my Miami Vice shoulder holster and I sure hope my groups will tighten even more. I think some barrel threading is coming soon too.

"Some of the Elites are known to shoot low, and I mean like 5" to 7" low at 25yds. The factory front and rear sights are numbered. Factory standard sights for your gun should be #8 front and rear.

Is that what you have? Working from there, each rear sight increment changes your point of impact by about two inches at 25 yards, and each front sight increment changes it by one inch.

Higher numbers raise your POI; lower numbers lower your POI. Changing to a #9 front and #10 rear would only raise your POI about five inches at 25 yards, and those are the highest number sights available."

Being a target shooter, I sure wouldn't mind a set of Bo-Mars on my SIG.

Again, Welcome Home Soldier.

Hello, my name is HoJo, and I'm a Sigaholic

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I want one. That thing is sweet! However, I can't have one. I live in CA and the state has not done it's drop test yet. So until then I have to wait.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My next is going to be the Elite Dark 9mm DAK with the SCT mags. Sigs are super nice to shoot.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Beautiful weapon, and nice shooting! I actually carry the Stainless Elite as my duty weapon.....well until I am forced to go back to a glock. Stupid department is forcing all to carry glocks. THe weird thing is, we can carry any number of glocks in either .40 or .45, so it's not that were standardizing anything :? Nothing wrong with them, my old duty weapon was a G35 which I actually shot today, and my back up/off duty is a G27. but I LOVE my Sig 229! Always been a Sig fan, but until they put that extended beaver tail on the Elite, I always found that I needed to wiggle the Sigs to get it planted in the web of my hand, w/ this new design it just seats perfectly every time. Great purchase you made there, enjoy it!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMcCarthy said:
Shooting a pistol is much different than shooting a scoped rifle. Pistols are under powered compared to a rifle and will probably require more than one shot to stop an evil person. It takes perfect continous practice to be proficient with a pistol. With these things in mind you shouldn't do the cup and saucer hold use either the weaver or thumbs forward, much better recoil control. This guy is big on Sigs and offers extended controls as does Sig but I think his are probably a better length http://www.grayguns.com/ Good luck I'm sure you will enjoy the pistol for many years.
Well i just wanted to say i tried one of those other methods and its a HUGE improvement with recoil and overall stability! I went out two days ago with a friend who just bought a Sig 229 because he liked mine and we had some bottles and paint cans... it was a blast shooting them and watching the cans go airborne then nailing them again once they landed! I didnt get any pics but it was truly a blast!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I'm glad you tried something new and it worked out for the better and you had fun doing it. It's always fun shooting things that react to the bullets rather than just punching holes in paper. I have a couple of Sig's 226s 9mm and really enjoy them more than the GLOCKS. I think the Sigs are a little harder to shoot well but they have more personality than GLOCKS. More personality, what kind of crap is that, oh well it's late and I just got home from work. Enjoy your new Sig.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
water bottles with food coloring and water explode pretty violently when shot with anything. it's what i use to make sure i'm sighted in at longer ranges, i know when i make a hit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
DeathStick said:
water bottles with food coloring and water explode pretty violently when shot with anything. it's what i use to make sure i'm sighted in at longer ranges, i know when i make a hit.
NICE! I have gotta try that.

·
Registered
400 Posts
By The Way Psycho:

Just incase you havent heard, all LEO and present/former "mil-spec" personnel are entitled to a rebate program from SIG.

"At SIG SAUER®, we will always be indebted to you for your service to our country. As a small token of our appreciation, we are offering a special rebate program on new SIG SAUER pistols and rifles. This offer is available to Federal Law Enforcement Agents, Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDO)**, all active duty Military personnel including Coast Guard, retired military with a retired military ID, and active reservist Military personnel including the National Guard. (Recently discharged Military personnel may purchase a firearm up to 90 days after date of separation*) Offer applies to the firearms listed below. Firearm must be purchased between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2009 (does not apply to previous purchases)."

Your 229 qualifies for a $100 rebate

Here's a link to the form

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsCont ... -Web3b.pdf

HoJo

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great info on the rebate. Now if I could just get a rebate for being a "schmoe" then I might just have to buy a couple of them. :lol:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If you served in the military especially in time of war, then you most definitely are a pro.

I never thought I would say this about an alloy-framed, double-action 9mm crunchenticker, but that is a handsome pistol. I do admire the rich walnut stocks. If you like SIG pistols, you might also take a good look at the SIG-P220. The SIG-P220 is an exceptionally fine pistol.

The last time Squinty was in Miami he tried a P-220 at a rental range. He was taken aback. A SIG-P220 with beautiful stocks would be a fine addition to any gun collection or home arsenal.

Fluffy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow Fluffy. :!: I'm amaized that you said good words about anything other than a 1911 45acp.
I would love to buy a sig 229 but my current financial situation keeps me from doing so. I am not a current or former military member but it's still nice to see that a company is still willing to help cut people who are a break. If I saw things the same in my youth as I do now then the story would be different but it's a little late to change things now.
The entire Sig line feels great in hand and is one of the few handguns that comes up "on target" for me. Most come up a little low for my hold. It can always be overcome with training but when it's natural then it's so much easier.
But if it makes you feel any better I almost bought a Taurus PT1911, but my son decided to come onto this world about 7 weeks early so this got put on the back burner. Maybe in a few months it'll change and I'll find a matching pair. one for each of us. :D

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The Taurus .45 has a nice forged frame. And a nice forged slide.

But most of the internal parts are metal inject moulded. If you buy a Taurus make sure to get it deschmoed. Send the piece to Mr. Roscoe and ask him to replace all the MiM parts.

Tell that Fluffy sent you. Listen to me and you will be just fine.

Fluffy.

P.S. Congratulatations on your new son. When he is old enough, make sure to take him to the range.

·
Registered
420 Posts
FluffyTheCat said:
The Taurus .45 has a nice forged frame. And a nice forged slide.

But most of the internal parts are metal inject moulded. If you buy a Taurus make sure to get it deschmoed. Send the piece to Mr. Roscoe and ask him to replace all the MiM parts.

Tell that Fluffy sent you. Listen to me and you will be just fine.

Fluffy.
It'll be the "DSP1911F" Package
"De-Schmoed-Pistol 1911 Fluffy"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts