Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I've got a Harris Versa-Pod on my (factory-stock-equipped) Remington 700 LTR. It's properly installed on the front sling swivel. It's got a swivel on the back of the bi-pod, ergo on the longitudinal axis of the rifle, not on a vertical axis (anybody who has one of these knows what I'm talking about).

Which is prefferable for mounting a sling, the extra swivel in the stock or the one in the Harris?

Then, what sling would you recommend?

And, since I've been mostly a luck-based long range shooter before now and am looking to improve that, what is the most (if there is just one) effective way to use a sling when shooting from the various positions and does that change with different positions?

Any tips, suggestions or outright endorsements would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think you can go wither way on the post and swivel. I use a separate post, but see no real reason to do so if you do not have one readily available.

No question I strongly recommend a cuff sling. You can hasty with it or snap in (in about a second) and drill them big time. from most any position, including prone.

check this one out.

http://www.ustacticalsupply.com/slings2.shtml

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's Mike Miller's design, right? I'm hearing great things bout that piece of work. I'm leaning towards getting one, the next time some cash comes available in my world.

·
Registered
91 Posts
now for a sling i really like buttler creeks line with a 4 slots for 1 bullet each this is just my prefernce.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
MTexpat - You are correct. The design is great, and incredibly easy to install and adjust.

I got the M-24 sling, so that I could get the Uncle Mike's Mil-Spec sling Swivels sewn in. My only possible complaint is that it is so long (I have seen the M-24 and USMC M40A3 - neither is very long), I have about 2 feet of extra material that I could (and eventually will) cut out then sew and melt the sling end to prevent unraveling.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The factory stock on that remington is (i feel) quite short, as well. I'll have to drop him a line and ask if I can get something made with less length.

Any further comment on potentially using the sling attachment point on the Harris? is it a good idea, or should I stay way from doing that just in case I shock the heck out ot the sling and damaged the bipod?

·
Registered
292 Posts
for slings i really like the butler creek gel one. all though its not a tactical style, and i say if you have it on there why do that slught expense and time to mount another in the stock, just stick her on and shoot, and as you have more experience with and dont like it for whatever reason ,then change it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts