Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not a sniping round and I would not be firing it subsonic - but what do you think about it in a 20" rifle barrel?

pros/cons of the 500 magnum in a rifle??? Need it for short range brush busting and knock down. I will reload so ammo cost should not be a problem.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Out of curiosity: why when there are a number of brush guns (listed in your reloader's manual, I'm sure) that will suffice?

I want a 45-70 Government for that very purpose. As I frequently tell Muzz (who has one), there's just something cool about being able to refer to your gun as 'The Gov.'

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always wanted the 45/70 as well. But after looking at the specs on the new 500 round they bypass the 45/70 round (out of a short barrel). This is the only study I have seen. Further study may show something else I guess.

I have a lead on a new light weight single shot in 500 for a lot less than retail and thought about giving it a try. I really do not know that much about the 500.................Thats why I am asking :D

But like you, I have always wanted a 45/70!! I can just get the 500 much cheaper :D

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Semi-on topic, there is a company which makes short Le Enfield carbines, in .50AE using DE magazines.

Sorry, pics may come out a lil'large.

Can't beat that for a handi-rifle (imo at least). calibers include 9mm, .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm, .45ACP, .357, .41AE/Mag, .44 and .50AE.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
500 Mag would be a different beast out of a rifle I bet. If I think about what a .357 or 44 Magnum can do playing with an 18 inch carbine barrel, I like it. 20 inches would gain you a real advantage in speed.

Yimmy, that carbine looks really cool. Kinda like a more potent, unsilenced Delisle

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzzleblast said:
500 Mag would be a different beast out of a rifle I bet. If I think about what a .357 or 44 Magnum can do playing with an 18 inch carbine barrel, I like it. 20 inches would gain you a real advantage in speed.

Yimmy, that carbine looks really cool. Kinda like a more potent, unsilenced Delisle
That is what I am thinking Muzz, may be a real show stopper! I have looked everywhere and I can not find any data other than for pistols.

Nice looking rifles Yimmy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mmmmm...

Subsonic .500S&W out of a fully surpressed 16" carbine. Perfect for smacking bunnies and such.

Must ponder, must ponder...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kamatz said:
Mmmmm...

Subsonic .500S&W out of a fully surpressed 16" carbine. Perfect for smacking bunnies and such.

Must ponder, must ponder...
What a thought! So far I think that no body is making a little bolt action :? Would make a pretty good "subdivision cat gun" once suppressed!!

Laugh if you want, but I am looking at the New England Firearms single shot, it is just for a old through around rifle for brush hunting.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The biggest concern I have here is the extremely dangerous 16" barrel... :roll:

I know of at least one riflesmith that produce his own recievers. Shouldn't a problem convincing him to make one. But I'd be forced, by a stupid law, to have a 18,5" barrel :evil:

·
Registered
994 Posts
caver101 said:
Kamatz said:
but I am looking at the New England Firearms single shot,
I don't know what's in the brush you hunt, but isn't a single-shot fairly limiting in a hairy situation? I mean, if Momma and Poppa bore, as well as their four cousins come roamin', I want to be able to get off as many shots as possible--or is a sidearm better as a back-up?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No hog hunting for me (don't eat very much pig). This is for whitetail in VERY heavy cover. Where I hunt in North GA there are some VERY thick places...and that is where big popa is :D

I have always wanted the Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 (leaver action), but it has a pretty big price tag on it. This little single shot is pretty darn cheap and for whitetail it should suffice. Shots would be limited to less than 50 yds 99% of the time. I still have not made up my mind :?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This little rifle is not a SHTF rifle :lol:

This rifle is just for fun, like Recoil said.

I had a Mossberg 695 15ga slug gun and it was just too long, nice gun, just too long. So this (or a 45/70) will be its replacement.

From all that I have seen the 50 S&W will bypass the 45/70 in a 20" barrel. Still no reloading data on it :?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Well, I guess Wild West Guns finally built the 500 S&W Levergun. Looks like they are first to do it. Too bad the cheapest it can be had is $1499 US.

"Wild West Guns - Model 04
500 S&W/454 lever action rifle

17-4 PH Stainless Heavy Duty
CNC Machined Receiver
Fast Action Hammer Safety
Take-down or standard rifle
16 ½ or 18 ½ inch barrel
Walnut, Laminate or Synthetic Pistol Grip Stock
WWG Thru Bolt Locking System
WWG Big Loop Lever
WWG Bear Proof Ejector
WWG Aluminum Magazine Follower
Safety Slotted Magazine Tube
WWG Ghost Ring Sight System
WWG Trigger System
Action Tuned for Reliability
Pachmayr Decelerator Pad
Optional Recoil Control Porting

RETAIL PRICE STANDARD RIFLE: $1499 Wood/Laminate Stock $1799 Synthetic Stock
RETAIL PRICE TAKE DOWN RIFLE: $1899 Wood/Laminate Stock $2199 Synthetic Stock"

Load Data for the 500 S&W http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/?Cali ... er&Source=

Not too big of a jump if any over the 45-70, but those figures are for pistols.

My 45/70 Government:

I like the Handi-Rifle idea...Get tired of 500 S&W and you can throw on a varmint barrel in 223 or 25-06 and have fun with that...Or make it a shotgun, right?

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Gov!

Look at that sexy beast--The Gov looks like the kind of gun who, if it could talk, would say: "Unload me and lemme box this fella!" At least, it looks like you could really swing it at someone.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I went with the 500 Mag in the handy rifle. Nice little rifle..........and you can ask Spade, it kicks like a mule!

Hey Spade, did it leave a mark?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Muzzle,

What scope base did you put on yours? I have a similar gun and I was looking to put some optics on it. I just haven't figured out exactly which way I want to go.

John

·
Registered
994 Posts
caver101 said:
Well, I went with the 500 Mag in the handy rifle.
Pics!

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
caver101 said:
Well, I went with the 500 Mag in the handy rifle. Nice little rifle..........and you can ask Spade, it kicks like a mule!

Hey Spade, did it leave a mark?? :lol:

HELL YES IT DID!!... if your standing its alright. IF you lay down with it. Be prepared for a violent little shock. It kicks harder than his 300 Win Mag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts