Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
If ya wanna go toe to toe with a rhino at 50 yards with a 22lr you're a better man than I :p

And remember everyone...No match ammo...unethical for hunting! lol
Just kidding, only trying to level my playing field.

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
I think ties are going to be broken by measuring the area hit from the absolute center of the dot.

I know Mel probably can't compete, since its his postal shoot and all, he should still shoot one just to see :D If he was competing we could always make him do it with say 30 moa elevation and 30 moa windage on his scope and make him hold off lol...He'd still beat me.

I'm just happy I get to shoot with the guys on this site, and I won't feel too bad when I come in dead last lol

*ahem*....if anyone wants to start placing friendly wagers on the outcome of a shooter I'm working out the odds...Jokin!

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Sighted in today for the competition.

Went to my informal measured distance range, found several deer standing on the 100 yard line. Much swearing ensues.

Back on track. It is -31 and with Ballistic Tip ammo my groups have shifted from my October Accubond zero 5 inches x2 inches. On track in 5 shots and hovering around MOA. Should do my best and mail my target by the 24th.

My rifle is frozen.

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
No harm, no foul...I lavishingly thawed it out

I was suprised to see how quickly the condensation froze. Stripped it down and wiped it off, gave it a coat of dry lube and its not shooting again after the match. Maybe I can shoot the match with an SKS too...I'll hit the paper...

Nah, she's fine. There really was ice on most of it though.

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
farenheit or celcius? :? Just pullin your leg. Too bad there is a shooter from Alaska or I would be a shoe-in for coldest cold bore shot. Nothing like being prone in -30 to remind you you're alive.

Hope you have room in your inbox Mel bg PM en route.

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Sad news all.

I shot the match today...or at least tried to. Consider this as mailing in my target....

The Rhinos: 5
The Muzz : 0

Just too damned cold...Rifle froze up and so did I, ammo had ice forming on it, and my scope clicks were neither tactile nor audible...Had trouble keeping the rounds on paper....*sigh* I tried, bros.

Here's a few pics of my baby.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v329/Muzz ... ction1.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v329/Muzz ... ction2.jpg

Better luck next time I suppose.

Word to anyone else shooting in -30. I know theres at least one Alaskan here. If your fingers have ANY moisture on them...Don't touch the rifle!

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Cannon, right you are, and I will be attempting it again! -10 here on Saturday but thats a heck of an improvement...T shirt weather! You would not believe the detailed cleaning that was required tonight. Scope clicks came back when she thawed but I have NO idea where it is zeroed now lol. But, I ain't givin up that easy I guess...Another attempt will be made.

Mark, too bad you won't be able to shoot, and I'm sorry you had such obligations. Please fire when you get the chance, I don't think I'm the only one who wants to see your target.

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Why didn't ya say so, Mel! Mine had little holes from rocks and debris all over it from my near misses...loooked pretty cool :lol:

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Well, I modified my model 70 for screw in choke tubes, my man. Guaranteed 30 moa when I shoot it in temperatures that killed so many Germans in WW2 in Russia. Dunno what I was thinking.

Did ya clean that gun? Seriously, if you see the pics of mine from yesterday in this thread, when it thawed and the solid ice on it melted it looked like someone dunked it in water.

Supposed to be -6 or some such tomorrow...

· Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Congrats to the winner, whoever he may be.
Kaz dude, my rhinos were even more nonchalant...I think I heard them laughing at me though, when my finger stuck to the receiver/trigger of my rifle and I couldn't pull it off. My first impulse was to lick or suck on it.

That would have been embarrassing.

Well, more embarrasing than...you know...not hitting a rhino at 100m

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.