21 Posts
Re: Sniper central rifles Picture gallery(only SC produced g

Will do once I get to the range.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hey guys,
Just wanted to give an update on my .308 that Mel built for me. This was my latest attempt at playing at 500 yards. I'm still learning the rifle and really enjoying it. I like to video my shoots for review. It gives you a chance to see what was actually going on, and if you take good notes, helps to evaluate your shooting. These are some still shots from the video. BTW, I'm shooting PPU 168 grain match HPBT ammo.
[attachment=2:2n9971y0]500 yard shooting range.jpg[/attachment:2n9971y0][attachment=1:2n9971y0]Cinder block @ 500 yards 1st hit.jpg[/attachment:2n9971y0][attachment=0:2n9971y0]Cinder block @ 500 yards 2nd hit.jpg[/attachment:2n9971y0]

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts

[attachment=0:22esh262]Cinder block @ 500 yards 3rd hit (breaking).jpg[/attachment:22esh262]

This was my third and final shot on the block. Right now, we're just shooting for fun trying to hit different types and sizes of targets. We haven't gotten into shooting for groups. I think shooting reactive targets is funner anyway LOL!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just got my new SC Remington 700 in .308, and I'm in the middle of the break-in period. Here are some pics I've taken so far. I must say that I absolutely could not have been happier with this rifle. The waiting was hard, but WELL worth the time and money. Now I need to get through the last of the break-in, and then it's fear skies ahead!

Mel, thank you so much for your efforts on this rifle, it's everything I hoped it would be!

now on to some pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts

BEAUTIFUL RIFLE WRAITH!! Congratulations!! I am jealous of the muzzle brake!! My .308 SC rifle has a little hop, but the recoil is VERY light. With the brake on, you should be able to see the bullet impact through the scope with no problem. I can see the impacts but only if I preload my bipod.

I like the white stock and black finish, it really looks sharp!! The good thing is...it'll shoot just as good as it looks!! I seen where you had a cleaning rod next to your rifle. I had a hard time with what I already had at home making up the length of the barrel. I ended up going with a bore snake and I love 'em. Two passes with a bore snake is like 10 with a patch on a rod!! You won't spend all day cleaning your rifle once you're done at the range. Keep us updated with how she shoots and what loads you're running through her.

Welcome to the family

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I'm still stunned at how beautiful that rifle came out. I get lots of people walking up to me asking questions at the range.

With the brake on, you should be able to see the bullet impact through the scope with no problem.
There isn't a lot of recoil, but it does still hop a bit and I still have to fight to see the moment of impact. That might change as my skill increases, but we'll see.

I seen where you had a cleaning rod next to your rifle. I had a hard time with what I already had at home making up the length of the barrel. I ended up going with a bore snake and I love 'em. Two passes with a bore snake is like 10 with a patch on a rod!
Actually I took it to the range to break-in the rifle. Unfortunately it's a LOT of cleaning, but I'm just about finished with the break0in period. Once I'm done, I won't worry about cleaning it until I'm back home and I've run several rounds through it. Right now I'm stripping the copper out of it after every X rounds.

the scope base is TPS?
The scope is on an EGW rail, using Burris XTR rings. I'm really happy with those so far.

I was a little afraid that I made a mistake going with the snow camo pattern, but I didn't want the traditional look of other camo patterns. Once I got it, I couldn't have been happier.

Thanks again for all the comments!

WR

·
Registered
12 Posts

There isn't a lot of recoil, but it does still hop a bit and I still have to fight to see the moment of impact. That might change as my skill increases, but we'll see.
Try preloading your bipod. I'm new to this stuff, but from what I'm understanding, it's pretty much just "leaning into" the rifle. They have shooting mats on the market with a section in the front to catch the feet of the bipod. This is to keep the rifle from sliding around while you're pushing forward. I shoot off the ground alot, and if the ground is soft it's pretty easy to do. I don't have one of these mats, but a pretty hefty sand bag would work also. I've noticed tighter groups and the ability to see (for the most part) the moment of impact since I've started using this technique v/s letting the rifle jump around. Your rifle should shoot pretty smooth, but try this technique and see if it helps you out.

I was a little afraid that I made a mistake going with the snow camo pattern, but I didn't want the traditional look of other camo patterns. Once I got it, I couldn't have been happier.
Yeah, you were taking quite a risk. Once you order it, I guess you're pretty much married to it. Are you going to do any hunting with it? I went with tan on tan, because I thought it would be the easiest to camoflage for my area. In southwest louisiana, we don't get much snow (if any). Where I hunt, a rifle like that would stick out like a sore thumb, a good looking sore thumb, but a sore thumb none the less. :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts

Here are some quick photos of my Remington 700 that Mel put together for me. I ordered back on 12/09 and it was delivered on 4/05. A very reasonable time-frame for a rifle of this quality. The Cerakote finish is immaculate and it is clear that Mel delivers a product of fantastic quality at a highly reasonable price. I unfortunately haven't had a chance to really take any quality photos but I will do so when the time arises. Further, I have been unable to shoot the gun do to a chaotic schedule. If things clear up I'm hoping to get out to the range in the next week or two. I'll make sure to update on how she shoots.

Rifle Specs:
26" Heavy Barrel
.308 Winchester
Mk2 Adjustable Stock (Green with black webbing)
Snowy Mountain MuzzleBrake
Cerakote (Black)
TacOps Bolt Knob
Harris Bipod 9-13" Swivel
Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50mm M1 mildot (54560)

My additions:
Leupold 50mm Sunshade
Paracord sling

·
Registered
561 Posts

Whubbard,

Did you get her to the range yet? Very nice looking rifle, and I almost went with the same stock but changed my mind at the last min. I was actually a huge pain in Mel's a$$ because I kept changing on scopes, stocks hell everything but the order is in and now I just have to wait. Wait and keep coming back to this thread and looking at the beautiful work Mel does and know mine will come in someday!

Sully

·
Registered
1 Posts

Can't wait to get my rifle! Mel just updated my rifle status and all it needs is to get zeroed. Will be putting up pics as soon as I get home. Thank you Mel, I'm sure you have been busy and I can't wait to shoot my S.C rifle that everyone talks so highly about.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey folks - just wanted to share a quick update on Mel's work.

Received the rifle a little less than 2 weeks ago, and finally got a chance to take it out to the range for a quick session (storms and work get in the way!). The workmanship is top notch, and the rifle came in ahead of schedule which is outstanding. Everything met or exceeded what I expected for a .308 entry level precision rifle.

I put 33 rounds of 168gr SMK's in Hornady brass loaded with 42.0 gr IMR 4064 out today due to time constraints, but I could've happily shot for hours. Accuracy was right around 1 moa (rifle is capable of better for sure, blame the shooter!). Only 100m range, next trip will be out to a longer range to test out my abilities and get a better feel for the rifle at extended ranges. I'm using a Nikon 4.5-14 40mm optic which Mel was nice enough to mount and zero.

Here are some pics that will have to do until I can get another chance to shoot and get some better pics!

·
Registered
791 Posts

Rifle Specs:
26" Heavy Barrel
.308 Winchester
Mk2 Adjustable Stock (Green with black webbing)
Snowy Mountain MuzzleBrake
Cerakote (Black)
TacOps Bolt Knob
Harris Bipod 9-13" Swivel
Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50mm M1 mildot (54560)

My additions:
Leupold 50mm Sunshade
Paracord sling
Love the rifle and love that sling....where did you get that?

Jason

·
Registered
561 Posts
Here is my SC baby.

rementrypack-ai-green.jpg

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Lovely rifles all, Gentlemen.

Paracord sling I have was purchased at Paracord Joes, in The Nam. (Fayetteville, NC.) I think, sadly he's not doing any more work.

DSC00513.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
And now with new skins. She shoots lights out as well.

20130106_104502-1_resized.jpg 20121220_124628.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd post some photos of the amazing R700 that Mel just built for me. It's beautiful!

SPECS:
Remington 700P
26" Heavy Barrel, blued matte finish, free-float to action
1:12 rifling twist
.308 Winchester, 5 round capacity
XMarkPro Trigger
Stock Bolt Knob
B&C Mark1A M40 Stock, OD Green
Harris Bipod BR 6-9"
Redfield Revolution/TAC 3-9x40mm Scope
EGW 20MOA Canted Base
Burris XTR Rings